Norwegian Fjords - Itinerary change. How do these ports compare?

Hello. 

We are (were) scheduled to sail to the Norwegian Fjords in June. However, we regrettably find ourselves having to postpone the trip. 

We have pinpointed a new date that works for us. But 2 of the ports of call are different.

Our original ports were: 

Nordfjordeid and Flam.

The new ports are:

Skjolden and Kristiansand. 

We’ve never sailed this route so we’re completely unfamiliar with the ports. I will greatly appreciate your expertise and feedback. How do all of these ports compare? Which ones do you like more? Should we look for a different ship/itinerary? 

Thanks in advance! 

I sailed 6 years ago, and others are more familiar with Norway than me.  For the 7 day heritage fjord (not the northern coast trip) my favorite stops were Flam, Olden and Geiranger.  I didn't get the chance to visit Aleseund, but that's also much beloved on these forums.  Hopefully others will chime in with their perspectives.   

• Thanks 1

I would not want to skip Flam, especially if the stop included the Flam train. I know nothing about Skjolden and wasn’t that impressed the one time I visited Kristiansand. Just my opinion…..

• Thanks 1

Flåm is one of the best ports and with the possibility of a nice train journey from Flåm to Myrdal.
Nordfjordeid can be compared to Skjolden - however, there is a significantly longer fjord sailing to Skjolden (comparable to sailing to Flåm).
Others have given a good description of Kristiansand.

• Thanks 1

Nordfjordeid and Flåm are both fjord ports with plenty of scenery on the sail-in and sail-out. Skjolden has much of the same scenery as Flåm on the sail-in/out but it has far less infrastructure than Flåm and doesn’t have easy access to the Flåmsbana railroad or the UNESCO-listed Nærøyfjord (the two main highlights of Flåm).

In general I’d consider Nordfjordeid and Skjolden to be comparable ports.

Kriatiansand is completely different. It’s a coastal town on the North Sea and doesn’t really have as many draws as a lot of the other places in Norway. Usually it’s just thrown in as a stop when sailing from Oslo or the Baltic region around to the western coast. If you have a fjord-intensive itinerary for the other ports, it could be an interesting change of pace, but I’m not sure there’s a lot to recommend it on its own.

Without knowing the other ports, it’s hard to make a call, but I would consider the new option a bit of a step down. If you’d still be visiting Bergen and Geiranger along with Skjolden and Kristiansand, then it would still be a great itinerary.

• Thanks 1