Geiranger--do you have to book boat tours in the fjord in advance?

Or will there be independent tour guides ready, willing and able to to take you knowing a cruise ship will be docking?

(Note fixed spelling error in title.)

Edited by ontheweb
  • Like 1

• ontheweb changed the title to Geiranger--do you have to book boat tours in the fjord in advance?

Sorry, not being cheeky, just puzzled as  your question is clear enough, but it is the reasoning behind it which is unusual. because you will have sailed Geirangerfjord for the first time on the way in, and will sail it a second time when you leave.  Are you sure an additional boat tour of the same area on the same day will offer anything new that is worth paying for and is the best use of your time there?

Edited by edinburgher

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Sorry, not being cheeky, just puzzled as  your question is clear enough, but it is the reasoning behind it which is unusual. because you will have sailed Geirangerfjord for the first time on the way in, and will sail it a second time when you leave.  Are you sure an additional boat tour of the same area on the same day will offer anything new that is worth paying for and is the best use of your time there?

Good point, thanks. What prompted the question was when I looked at things to do in Geiranger, what mostly came up was taking a cruise in the fjord. I think the boars used were referred to as RIB boats.

when I looked at things to do in Geiranger, what mostly came up was taking a cruise in the fjord. I think the boars used were referred to as RIB boats.

RIB boats are short for Rigid Inflatable Boats.  You may have heard them also referred to as "zodiacs".

The boat tours would be aimed at visitors on land tours who would not arrive or leave through the fjord which is one of the most scenic in Norway..

Even should you not want to book,you could look at the shorex your cruiseline is offering as they will give you an idea of highlights from the stop and what might be possible in the timeframe.

Bestter than that though, would be to read past CC threads and posts to see what others did and how they did it.  Lots of info to be found doing that. 

If you do not know how to use the SEARCH TOOL, go to the GENERAL N. Europe and Baltic Sea  Forum, not an individual thread, and input the word Geiranger in the empty search box under your username, hit the little spy glass and all previous threads containing that word will appear in the results ready for you to read. 

The big tour there is to Mt Dalsnibba, and you will read a number of references to it, and should that tempt you,after using the word Geiranger in the search box, try again using the word Dalsnibba, or indeed any word which relates to anything you found which appeals to you.

Same search method will also work for your other ports, you only need be on the correct forum for the country your port is in..

Edited by edinburgher

On 5/2/2023 at 8:10 PM, ontheweb said:

Good point, thanks. What prompted the question was when I looked at things to do in Geiranger, what mostly came up was taking a cruise in the fjord. I think the boars used were referred to as RIB boats.

We have a port call in Geiranger in July, and my research showed that the Mt. Dalsnibba and Eagle Road bus tour was quite popular.  Our cruise line (HAL) was offering a tour, but many folks on our Roll Call (including yours truly) are booked privately on the Panorama Exclusive Bus, link below.  Obviously, not having done it yet, I can't recommend it, but I wanted you to have the info.  If you do a search in this forum, you should find posts from folks recommending it.

https://www.geirangerfjord.no/panorama-exclusive-bus

PS: I spent many summers of my life in Monticello, NY.  🙂 

On 5/2/2023 at 5:54 PM, edinburgher said:

Actually, I saw the RIB boat tour in the excursions offered by NCL for Geiranger (at way, way above what I saw posted as the price for private tours).

When we visited Gerainger in 2017, we pre-booked a small boat trip. That's a small boat with maybe 25 passengers, not a RIB boat. It was absolutely worth doing and I'd thoroughly recommend it. You get a much heightened sense of drama looking up at the waterfalls and talll mountains from a small boat, than from the top deck of a massive cruise ship. And it is a really dramatic land/seascape.

On 5/3/2023 at 4:42 PM, Turtles06 said:

We have a port call in Geiranger in July, and my research showed that the Mt. Dalsnibba and Eagle Road bus tour was quite popular.  Our cruise line (HAL) was offering a tour, but many folks on our Roll Call (including yours truly) are booked privately on the Panorama Exclusive Bus, link below.  Obviously, not having done it yet, I can't recommend it, but I wanted you to have the info.  If you do a search in this forum, you should find posts from folks recommending it.

https://www.geirangerfjord.no/panorama-exclusive-bus

PS: I spent many summers of my life in Monticello, NY.  🙂 

I did what sounds like this tour although through my cruise line.  I greatly enjoyed it.  You get a very different perspective on the fjords.  Plus you see what life is like outside of the towns.  And going up the twisty narrow roads in tour bus is quite an experience...

• Thanks 1