Starboard Sunrises 4141 0r Port Sunsets 4146?

Mr and Mrs A

Our first ever cruise.  We're sailing on QE for 10 nights Sydney to Port Douglas and back, 22nd Jan 2024.

I want to choose either 4141 or 4146 (both BC, same position near the rear lifts - just opposite sides).  I like the (slightly) longer cabin space and the deeper balcony.

Should we go for port or starboard?  Do people generally enjoy sunsets on their balconies or breakfast in the sun?  I imagine it will be hot and humid at that time of year, so maybe starboard would be more shady and therefore more pleasant during the day.  What about the views sailing out of Sydney Harbour?

All comments and ideas appreciated!

Mrs A.

3 hours ago, Mr and Mrs A said:

Our first ever cruise.  We're sailing on QE for 10 nights Sydney to Port Douglas and back, 22nd Jan 2024.

I want to choose either 4141 or 4146 (both BC, same position near the rear lifts - just opposite sides).  I like the (slightly) longer cabin space and the deeper balcony.

Should we go for port or starboard?  Do people generally enjoy sunsets on their balconies or breakfast in the sun?  I imagine it will be hot and humid at that time of year, so maybe starboard would be more shady and therefore more pleasant during the day.  What about the views sailing out of Sydney Harbour?

Mrs A.

I always go for sunsets, but I’m in the Northern Hemisphere, if that makes a difference.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr and Mrs A said:

Mrs A.

Unless I'm missing something in your itinerary, you'll be heading north and then turning around and heading south so you should get a chance to have both sunrises and sunsets from your balcony.

For what it's worth I did a similar trip in mid-February this year and the sun on the balcony was too hot to bear when we were docked in Cairns - you may be glad of a little afternoon shade. I think the views surround the ship when leaving Sydney if you're docked at Circular Quay (although the Opera House would be to starboard when leaving but you will have had ample opportunity to see it from the ship prior anyway).

• Like 1

The side is irrelevant you'll  get sunrises one way and sunsets the other. Personally I cruise with an interior on deck 1 because I get sea sick - but also we didn't have the a/c  issues that some in balconies had on similar cruises in the tropics. The QE a/c struggles a bit in northern Austraila 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

The side is irrelevant you'll  get sunrises one way and sunsets the other. Personally I cruise with an interior on deck 1 because I get sea sick - but also we didn't have the a/c  issues that some in balconies had on similar cruises in the tropics. The QE a/c struggles a bit in northern Austraila 

I thought I might feel a little panicky in an inside cabin, so I've made sure to book a balcony. 

I'm also hoping we don't get too much movement where we are going to be (it's near the rear lift bank for easy access to Britannia restaurant, as hubby has limited mobility).   

I do like the spaciousness of some of the interior cabins and the squarer shape.  If I struggle with the heat on this cruise, then an interior might be something to seriously consider for the next one.  The price is certainly better!

• Like 1