Aft Balcony - Pro's and Con's

Have had aft suites on Noordam and Oosterdam.  Absolutely love them.  Only "negative" is increased vibrations during docking and one time on Noordam we were "racing" to get to port (20+ knots) and had increased vibrations.  Our last several cruises we select suites closer to the Neptune lounge, just for the convenience.  Also the balcony on the aft suites is great for having large group parties.

We’ve had aft cabins on several cruises and love them unless there is rough weather.  

We’ve had a Neptune on the Nieuw Amsterdam and it was absolutely incredible with a massive wrap around deck.   We had a lovely cabin on the Zuiderdam, through the Panama Canal.  It was also slightly larger than a regular balcony. 

We have been on deck 8 and there was some noise and at times smells.  I believe on deck five on vistas have more shade and coverage.  

33 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We’ve had aft cabins on several cruises and love them unless there is rough weather.  

We’ve had a Neptune on the Nieuw Amsterdam and it was absolutely incredible with a massive wrap around deck.   We had a lovely cabin on the Zuiderdam, through the Panama Canal.  It was also slightly larger than a regular balcony. 

We have been on deck 8 and there was some noise and at times smells.  I believe on deck five on vistas have more shade and coverage.  

Thanks I am on deck 5 on the advice of my TA (she pulled it out of inventory 👍). Appreciate the info very much.

5 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I think you'll be happy with your choice. Sometimes you just want to sit and relax and get away from it all. No better place for that than your balcony!

Thanks 🙂.  It’s a first as DH suffered from Mal de Mer in even a slightly aft cabin with the wrong motion -  So, I learned to book mid ship for him (except on the P’dam 😉 motion on that ship was pretty much the same everywhere).  

So this is new for me.  I have a while to wait but had an aft (not wake view) on the K and had no issues and another booked on the Rotterdam.  I do like those deeper balconies.  The afts on the Vistas look very nice 🤞. Appreciate the help 👍 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks I am on deck 5 on the advice of my TA (she pulled it out of inventory 👍). Appreciate the info very much.

Thanks 🙂.  It’s a first as DH suffered from Mal de Mer in even a slightly aft cabin with the wrong motion -  So, I learned to book mid ship for him (except on the P’dam 😉 motion on that ship was pretty much the same everywhere).  

So this is new for me.  I have a while to wait but had an aft (not wake view) on the K and had no issues and another booked on the Rotterdam.  I do like those deeper balconies.  The afts on the Vistas look very nice 🤞. Appreciate the help 👍 

You are very welcome,  IIRC correctly the ones directly beside the Neptune may be a bit wider😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Once you start having walking issues you will understand.

I understand completely. I had a hip replacement surgery. Before surgery I wouldn’t have been able to make the walk to the Neptune lounge without a stop or two. After surgery I loved the walk. My point was everyone is different. A pro for one person is a con for another. 

On 5/3/2023 at 6:40 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Same opinion, same reasons.

The only minus for me is that I get a spa pass and it's a long hike to the spa on the large ships. I was on Eurodam this winter and it seemed sooo much farther to the spa than it is on the Vistas. 

The sizes of the balconies vary on the Vistas. I think they're less varied on the Signature and Pinnacle ships. I like deck 7. The only deck I would avoid is 8 because it's under the aft open deck and you might hear chairs being dragged around. I've been on 8 and it hasn't bothered me, but some people say they are bothered by noise.

IMG_20230117_064015444.jpg

Exactly!  One time on Oosterdam. we had a nice aft balcony cabin but the hot water went out.  Walking all the way forward to the gym locker room for a shower got old after a while.