Amazon & Caribbean Adventure, February, 2023 Report with Iberostar Grand Amazon River Cruise after Viking

TayanaLorna

Absolutely excellent summary, thank you for your time and effort! We are going on this same trip this March from San Juan to Manaus on Viking, then on Iberostar for 7 nights. Especially wondering about transfers in Manaus - from the Viking boat to Iberostar and then later from Iberostar to the airport. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Appleton Annie said:

Absolutely excellent summary, thank you for your time and effort! We are going on this same trip this March from San Juan to Manaus on Viking, then on Iberostar for 7 nights. Especially wondering about transfers in Manaus - from the Viking boat to Iberostar and then later from Iberostar to the airport. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

We did the same Viking and Iberostar- we got the Viking transfer to the port as the ship was anchored and required a tender to the dock and then an included bus to the port embarkation / departure point. We were then going to just wheel our cases ourselves to the Iberostar but a porter said he would take them, which was fine with us ( tip duly given) and we just followed him along to the Iberostar. We were (very) early for check in but they allowed us on board and we waited in the lounge on board the ship. Lorna and Ray went on a morning tour (complete with luggage) and joined the ship around the proposed boarding time. 
You will really enjoy the 7 day trip, we all said we wished we had booked the 7 days but it was an unknown entity when we did the trip. That’s what great about these reviews- you can benefit from those that have gone before you.

Edited by downsmead

2 hours ago, downsmead said:

We did the same Viking and Iberostar- we got the Viking transfer to the port as the ship was anchored and required a tender to the dock and then an included bus to the port embarkation / departure point. We were then going to just wheel our cases ourselves to the Iberostar but a porter said he would take them, which was fine with us ( tip duly given) and we just followed him along to the Iberostar. We were (very) early for check in but they allowed us on board and we waited in the lounge on board the ship. Lorna and Ray went on a morning tour (complete with luggage) and joined the ship around the proposed boarding time. 
You will really enjoy the 7 day trip, we all said we wished we had booked the 7 days but it was an unknown entity when we did the trip. That’s what great about these reviews- you can benefit from those that have gone before you.

Hi Karen, I was going to ask you to tell your Viking to Iberostar experience.  We didn't board until the orientation was already underway. I know you and another couple boarded very early.  Did you have to stay in the bar area the entire time or were you able to go to the top deck?  Were there any refreshments or food available?  Could you have left your luggage on the Iberostar and then gone out on a tour?  Happy to hear you are still following. 

We could go up to the top deck but the bar was not open until boarding time I think. Food was also provided then on the top deck. They gave us a drink or two whilst we waited in the lounge - orange juice or water. We did leave our luggage on the ship and went up to the port entrance and wandered around the town for a bit. We were wary of doing this but in fact felt fine and not unsafe. The South African couple had a meal in the port terminal which had some shops, bars and restaurants. 
We were one of the last group to leave Viking and Iberostar were very accommodating of our early arrival. 

16 hours ago, downsmead said:

We could go up to the top deck but the bar was not open until boarding time I think. Food was also provided then on the top deck. They gave us a drink or two whilst we waited in the lounge - orange juice or water. We did leave our luggage on the ship and went up to the port entrance and wandered around the town for a bit. We were wary of doing this but in fact felt fine and not unsafe. The South African couple had a meal in the port terminal which had some shops, bars and restaurants. 
We were one of the last group to leave Viking and Iberostar were very accommodating of our early arrival. 

Thanks Karen.  This is good information for others in the future.  

On 6/19/2023 at 7:53 PM, Appleton Annie said:

Downsmead gave some details about boarding Iberostar directly after Viking which should be helpful.  In Post #24 i detailed the procedure for independent travelers (those who do not have the Viking transfer to the airport or the Viking post extension at a hotel) to disembark the ship and get to the Port of Manaus.  If Viking must anchor instead of dock, it will most likely be the same.  Since we didn't know we could board the Iberostar so early, we did an excursion to MUSA.

From the Iberostar to our hotel, we pre arranged a transfer with Victor Transfer Tours.  They were excellent with the booking process, communication and the transfer.  Judson de Oliveira Menezez was our contact for the entire process.  We used WhatsApp for communication and did it all through messaging.  + 55 92 9338-4654.  We tried to book through Trip Advisor but none of their transfer choices gave a way to have a pick up at the port rather then a hotel or airport so i messaged them. Judson got back to me right away and told me there was a fee for taxis to enter the port and go all the way to the Iberostar ship.  He sent me a link and a way to pay with PayPal including the additional charge.  It was $84.06 pp instead of $80.17.  It was nice getting picked up at the ships door.  We also used them for a ride from our hotel to the airport.  They also do tours.

About a week before our trip we received an email from Iberostar providing us with the opportunity to reserve a transfer to the airport through them.  The charge was $100 per person.  We were not going to the airport following Iberostar.  Victor Transfer Tours charge to the airport was $80.17 per person.

Thank you for the excellent advice! Any other suggestions will be appreciated as this should be quite a change from our previous Viking European cruises. We live in Wisconsin, so the tropics will be quite a change for us in March!

Edited by Appleton Annie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Appleton Annie said:

Thank you for the excellent advice! Any other suggestions will be appreciated as this should be quite a change from our previous Viking European cruises. We live in Wisconsin, so the tropics will be quite a change for us in March!

That's why your CC name is Appleton Annie!  We were born and raised in Chicago and would cross country ski, camp, canoe and hike all over Wisconsin mostly as well as the UP, lower Michigan and Indiana.  Moved for my DH's employment opportunity in 1985.  

17 minutes ago, Appleton Annie said:

So glad that I found your posts, very helpful in planning.  Curious, what is the dress attire on Iberostar?

Very casual.  Although I read somewhere on Iberostar that shorts were not allowed at dinner, that wasn't the case.  Saw shorts, jeans, sundresses, t-shirts, lightweight long pants and shirts.  We wore long pants and shirts as well as full coverage shoes on excursions just in case of mosquitoes, ants or snakes.  Never saw snakes and mosquitoes only on one Iberostar hike.

39 minutes ago, Appleton Annie said:

Excellent! I thought that I read somewhere that there was a formal dress code for Iberostar dinners; so glad that’s not the case! 

Same here.  We only had 50 passengers on board.  Maybe they were so happy that they weren't going to bother us.  If for some reason they require long pants and collars for men you will be set from Viking.   I recall some reviews complained there was a long line at dinner buffet but with our 50 not the case.  It sounds like the "dry season" months - July to December are more popular for Brazilians cruising the Amazon.  

• 1 month later...

I just found this post and finished your detailed report. We are considering an Amazon cruise for 2025. We already have 2024 trips all lined up. We have done one Viking river cruise in 2019 but have not sailed on their ocean ships. I will need to do my homework and look at the Iberostar river cruise too. 

• Like 1

I stumbled upon your post quite by accident as we will be doing a similar itiniary on the Amazon as the Viking portion  of your journey this December, but on Regent. Wow-thank you! I loved your insights and photos!  I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m thinking I might have to get up super-early at least one morning to look for insects and other travelers on the main deck! Thank you for your wonderful narration, insights and stories! 

10 hours ago, ThanksChar said:

I stumbled upon your post quite by accident as we will be doing a similar itiniary on the Amazon as the Viking portion  of your journey this December, but on Regent. Wow-thank you! I loved your insights and photos!  I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m thinking I might have to get up super-early at least one morning to look for insects and other travelers on the main deck! Thank you for your wonderful narration, insights and stories! 

My pleasure.  I love journaling and we both enjoy taking photos so happy to help.  Our deck crew said there were more, larger and different top deck insects on the January cruise then our end of February dates.  So maybe you will have a bug show in December.

• Like 1

👋Hello!

How did I miss your fantastic travelogue from way back in May??

I just happened upon it now because another poster mentioned it on the Viking board.

Wow.. just stellar!  Great narration and pictures worthy of National Geographic.

I feel like I have just traveled the Caribbean and Amazon without the humidity or the bug bites so I thank you.😍

Bravo!👏

11 minutes ago, Sleep7 said:

👋Hello!

How did I miss your fantastic travelogue from way back in May??

I just happened upon it now because another poster mentioned it on the Viking board.

Wow.. just stellar!  Great narration and pictures worthy of National Geographic.

I feel like I have just traveled the Caribbean and Amazon without the humidity or the bug bites so I thank you.😍

Bravo!👏

Thank you.  We loved doing it - both the traveling, photography and writing.  I can never manage a live report as others do.  We are always too busy experiencing.

2 hours ago, Sleep7 said:

Hello again!

Your pix of the penal colony on French Guiana gave me chills.  It reminded me of the original movie "Papillon" which I saw when I was a kid and still haunts me!😳

We considered watching Papillion again before going.  It is painfully long as well as depressing so we did not.  Remembering it and imagination was enough.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

We considered watching Papillion again before going.  It is painfully long as well as depressing so we did not.  Remembering it and imagination was enough.  

Smart move! It is a totally disturbing movie!😥

• Like 1

Me again! What type of camera and lens  ensemble did you use? How did you keep your gear relatively protected in the rains and humidity? We used our iPhone 13Pro on recent Alaska cruise, which was great for both whale and landscape photos, but of course a tropical bird is significantly smaller 😀. Amazon will of course be a trip of a lifetime, and I’m willing to invest time time and money  for good gear. Thanks again for sharing your phenomenal travel journal and photos! 🎉☀️

4 hours ago, ThanksChar said:

Me again! What type of camera and lens  ensemble did you use? How did you keep your gear relatively protected in the rains and humidity? We used our iPhone 13Pro on recent Alaska cruise, which was great for both whale and landscape photos, but of course a tropical bird is significantly smaller 😀. Amazon will of course be a trip of a lifetime, and I’m willing to invest time time and money  for good gear. Thanks again for sharing your phenomenal travel journal and photos! 🎉☀️

Nikon D56 with Nicor 18-400 mm zoom lens was the camera that captured most of the wildlife close ups.   I used a Panasonic ZS100 but do mostly landscape, city scenes, people, buildings etc.  I am a birder so i just use binoculars when touring for wildlife.  Unless you are doing a river cruise separate from Viking, i would not worry about running out to buy a new camera/lens.  Other then the monkeys in French Guiana, the wildlife/birds we photographed were on our excursions in a small skiff from the Iberostar Grand Amazon 3 day trip further up the Amazon from Manaus after Viking.  I hope we have not given the expectation that what we saw is what folks will see from Viking.  Please closely look at dates and locations.

Ok that said.  We bought some nice raincoats with hoods for the trip.  However we found that what worked best was the cheap hooded ponchos that i also threw into our suitcase.  The raincoats were fine when we could duck into a shelter from the rain.  The hooded poncho was essential when out on a trail, in the forest or in an open skiff.  The poncho kept our gear and legs dry.

Actually the worst camera experience was going from the air conditioned cabin or the AC of the Explorers Lounge to our veranda or the outside Explorers deck.  The lens would immediately fog up!  My DH just said we should have left our cameras on the bathroom floor to keep them warmer.

IpPhones take great photos and i don't recall our phones fogging.