Asking for best transportation for Chioggia, Italy port to Venice, Italy.

Ironman01

We will be in disembarking on October 9, 2023 from the Viking Saturn in Chioggia port for a two-night stay extension stay at Hotel Ca' Formenta in Venice, Italy

before heading back home. I am asking for suggestions on transfers from Chioggia port to our hotel. Also, from our hotel to Marco Polo Airport. I thank you for

any suggestions.

There is a Trenitalia station in Chioggia, about 1.4 km/nine-tenths of a mile from the cruise port.  Only a few trains each morning depart from Chioggia, and all trains from there to Venice require a change along the way, at either Adria (35 km/22 miles away) or Rovigo (53 km/33 miles away).  

With luggage, this is not going to be an easy trip.  If you are light packers who can manage a mile walk with your bags, the train is a great budget option.

Otherwise, I would contact at least a couple of car service or taxi companies and get estimates for (1) a car to Venice Piazzale Roma and (2) a car to the Rovigo train station (I chose this one because there are more trains from here to Venice than from Adria, and it's a faster train ride).

Unless the car to Rovigo is significantly less expensive than to Venice, I'd probably bite the bullet and pay for the ride the entire way, posting on the roll call for your cruise to see if you can share the cost with others.  If there is a big difference, then I'd take the ride to Rovigo and the train from there.

Whatever you do for this first part of the transfer, there will be another segment once in Venice.  Pack your patience because it's going to be a cumbersome morning.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 2

There is also a bus option, similarly cumbersome.  The bus depot is located 1.2 km/eight-tenths of a mile from the port ( Corso del Popolo 1310).  It looks like you need to change buses en route but there are several departures each morning.

Bus web site here:  HomePage - Arriva Veneto

Unfortunately, the bus company web site is only in Italian, but they have lines to Venice as well as to the airport:  Orari e percorsi - Arriva Veneto

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 2