Pants in specialty restaurants

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

actually, i consider dress up for a man, jacket and tie, that's why i love ncl freestyle. my days of jacket and tie are long gone and definitely forgotten.On our 1st cruise over 40 years ago (when i didnt know any better) i brought a different suit, shirt and tie for each dinner night, as well as a tux for formal night.

We remember those days!  DH had his Tux, and I had a beaded evening gown.   So much to pack and bring along, and ......it was before our luggage had wheels😱

• Like 3

9 hours ago, complawyer said:

actually, i consider dress up for a man, jacket and tie, that's why i love ncl freestyle. my days of jacket and tie are long gone and definitely forgotten.On our 1st cruise over 40 years ago (when i didnt know any better) i brought a different suit, shirt and tie for each dinner night, as well as a tux for formal night.

Me too. Even before I retired in 2006 our company had gone to what some used to call "casual Friday". But I had not worn a tie in about five years, or a jacket in about three. I was in IT and and did not "meet the public". When we started cruising around 1980, bringing along a tux was routine, and I did that for many years. But it got to be a hassle, although my wife and I did like "dressing up" for those one or two "formal" nights on the ships. No more though! Now the room formerly needed for formal attire in our suitcases has been taken over by medications and other age-related doo-dads. At age 77 I wear and nice pair or slacks and collared shirt to the MDR and other eateries, plus shoes and socks, but a tie? Never! Thanks God!😎 The Lido deck of course is different: Shorts, sandals and a Hawaiian shirt or T-shirt for me! And sometimes I feel overdressed there!😉

Doug

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 1:51 PM, DCGuy64 said:

Your senses are off there, pardner. 😉 I've seen a steady decline in the tastefulness of attire over the years, especially in the travel sector. It's particularly bad on airplanes. At the same time, I've seen a decline in the ability of some people to behave properly in public, again, especially on airplanes. I might be old-fashioned, but I happen to believe that a lowering of standards in what one wears leads to a commensurate decline in good behavior. Furthermore, I have seen how the rise of social media has led people increasingly to focus on shocking others in order to get "likes," leading to a "look at me, look at me" mentality. Occasionally, there are even people on Cruise Critic who seem to be more concerned with offending others by what they're allowed to get away with, rather than simply being comfortable. Of course, since vacation is supposed to be relaxing and fun, it shouldn't be about trying to outdo others in terms of how expensive or fancy our clothes are. But it also shouldn't be about seeing how "low" you can go before the cruise line cracks down on its already generous dress code.

You hit several nails squarely on the head, Sir.

Doug

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2023 at 3:37 PM, js said:

My husband only packs golf shorts for dinner.  
We eat in Haven and all specialty restaurants including LeBistro. We have been sat inside and sometimes thry ask us to sit outside, which is fine for us too. 

Enjoy!

Warm weather cruises, I prefer to dine outside than inside.  Shorts it is.

And personally, if anyone notices (or not), it doesn’t matter to me.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Update on pants from our trip: 

My husband wore pants to both specialty restaurants we went to, Cagneys and Pincho's. He was going to try to just wear dressier shorts and see what happens, but we saw them turn a couple away at the check in desk for Bayamo and Pinchos for their outfits not being in line with the dress code, so we figured why chance it? He was able to wear just regular shorts to Taste and Savor with a nice polo shirt and we had no issues. We didn't realize that O'Sheehan's had a dress code, and we went there for breakfast one day with bathing suits and cover ups on and the manager came over to our table halfway through our breakfast and told us there was a dress code.  We didn't need to leave or anything and I had a full tank top bathing suit style top on and shorts over my bathing suit and then a cover up over that, but my daughter definitely had a small bikini on and a crochet type coverup on so maybe someone complained, who knows. It wasn't a big deal. We did find it slightly amusing as the later it got the less clothes were worn up there at O'Sheehan's at night with no one batting an eye 🙂Our next cruise mu husband will just bring one pair of nice pants for specialty restaurants. Thanks everyone for all the replies, it was beyond amusing!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1