FYI - $250 cruisefirst

dbrown84

I had been waiting for the $250 cruisefirst certificates to be offered, and they are being offered right now.  Just wanted to point it out in case anyone else been waiting for them.  Looks like they are being offered for at least 3 days for their Mother's day "sale".  You never know if it will be extended or not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, LauraAnneC said:

I haven’t heard of these as I’m relatively new to NCL. What’s advantage of them?

save a little $$$.  You spend $250 for the certificate and when you apply it to a cruise, it takes $500 off the cruise price.  Usually the certs are $150 for $300 off, but every now and then, they offer the $500 certs.  I see you're in Ireland.  I don't know if this is just for the US or not

1 minute ago, dbrown84 said:

save a little $$$.  You spend $250 for the certificate and when you apply it to a cruise, it takes $500 off the cruise price.  Usually the certs are $150 for $300 off, but every now and then, they offer the $500 certs.  I see you're in Ireland.  I don't know if this is just for the US or not

Thanks! That’s very interesting, I’ll check it out

34 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Cruisefirst Terms and Conditions.

You'll note tha the T&C state that CF can only be applied to new reservations.

Some have reported success in applying to previous bookings.

https://www.ncl.com/terms/cruisefirst

it's also important to point out that your cruise has to be 4 months out from the date of purchase of your CF.  I believe they stick to this rule pretty much all the time.  I have seen reports of people applying to a previous booking, but I haven't tried myself.  My next cruise isn't until January so I was just waiting for the $500 CF to hit before booking just to be safe.  I didn't want to risk a cancel/rebook to use the cert since they also have in the terms that you lose the extra portion of the cert if you cancel/rebook

1 minute ago, Serengeti228 said:

I thought both $150 for $300 and $250 for $500 CFC have been around for a while?

no, the $250 for $500 comes and goes.  The $150 is always available.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dbrown84 said:

it's also important to point out that your cruise has to be 4 months out from the date of purchase of your CF.  I believe they stick to this rule pretty much all the time.  I have seen reports of people applying to a previous booking, but I haven't tried myself.  My next cruise isn't until January so I was just waiting for the $500 CF to hit before booking just to be safe.  I didn't want to risk a cancel/rebook to use the cert since they also have in the terms that you lose the extra portion of the cert if you cancel/rebook

Here's the pertinent section from the T&C:

1. CruiseFirst certificates are valid for new reservations ONLY that book and sail within 3 years of original certificate purchase date.  Voyage date must be more than 120 days from original purchase date. Not applicable towards canceled / rebooked reservations.  If a guest with an existing reservation cancels and rebooks the same ship and sail date with a CruiseFirst certificate, the additional value of the CruiseFirst certificate will be removed.

Looks to me that you cannot use these on existing reservations even though insist they have. I'm not willing to take a chance.

• Like 2

i use cruise first certificates on every cruise and have two $250/$500 certificates in my account now.

the thing that people always get confused about with this is the 120 day requirement. they assume (incorrectly) that you have to be 120 days out when you book. you do not! the certificate has to have been purchased 120 days before the cruise. 

so if you have a previously purchased certificate siting in your account, which you bought at least four months ago... you can apply it to any cruise, even one leaving next week. you can also buy a certificate with your cruise consultant over the phone at the time of booking, and apply it to that booking, if you're booking a cruise that departs in 120 days or more. (no guarantee you'll be able to get the $250 certificate, however, but you'll always be able to get the $150.)

cruise first can be combined with other forms of payment, including FCC, but not with other certificates, such as cruise next. and it can be used to defray the cost of fees and taxes on "free" cruises, such as CAS comps.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, UKstages said:

i use cruise first certificates on every cruise and have two $250/$500 certificates in my account now.

the thing that people always get confused about with this is the 120 day requirement. they assume (incorrectly) that you have to be 120 days out when you book. you do not! the certificate has to have been purchased 120 days before the cruise. 

I'm already booked up through 2025.  

Although I'm thinking of cancelling the 2025 Alaska and booking a different cruise out of Miami.  We've done alaska and while doing it again is tempting, getting to Seattle is a bear.

1 hour ago, dbrown84 said:

Are these combinable with the Military Appreciation?

16 minutes ago, UKstages said:

so if you have a previously purchased certificate siting in your account, which you bought at least four months ago... you can apply it to any cruise, even one leaving next week. you can also buy a certificate with your cruise consultant over the phone at the time of booking, and apply it to that booking, if you're booking a cruise that departs in 120 days or more. (no guarantee you'll be able to get the $250 certificate, however, but you'll always be able to get the $150.)

cruise first can be combined with other forms of payment, including FCC, but not with other certificates, such as cruise next. and it can be used to defray the cost of fees and taxes on "free" cruises, such as CAS comps.

they are perfect with the CAS comps, actually too good. 🙂  My next cruise that I'm going to book (thru CAS) will be $311 total.  I have to actually add some items so as to not forfeit any of the $500 from the cert.  I'll just buy some OBC at the time of booking to make up the difference.

39 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Here's the pertinent section from the T&C:

1. CruiseFirst certificates are valid for new reservations ONLY that book and sail within 3 years of original certificate purchase date.  Voyage date must be more than 120 days from original purchase date. Not applicable towards canceled / rebooked reservations.  If a guest with an existing reservation cancels and rebooks the same ship and sail date with a CruiseFirst certificate, the additional value of the CruiseFirst certificate will be removed.

Looks to me that you cannot use these on existing reservations even though insist they have. I'm not willing to take a chance.

same here.  People have said they've done it, but I wonder if they really did it with a CN, or possibly they didn't realize they lost half the value of the CF.  And maybe it has worked, but like you said I'm not willing to chance it.

28 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I have to actually add some items so as to not forfeit any of the $500 from the cert.  I'll just buy some OBC at the time of booking to make up the difference.

i'm pretty sure prepaying the onboard service charge (DSC) also qualifies.

25 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

can I apply it during the final payment or do I need to apply it when I am booking a reservation?

that's a good question. i've never done that. but i believe it would have to be during the initial booking because it can only be used for "new reservations." once you book, or if you're at the final payment stage, it's no longer a "new reservation." 

Edited by UKstages

3 minutes ago, UKstages said:

It does.  I meant after adding the DSC, I still have to make up the difference by buying $50 of OBC

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

no, the $250 for $500 comes and goes.  The $150 is always available.

I bought a $500 certificate to use with my 2025 cruise.  As I said, I have alaska booked but I will cancel that and book a Carribbean out of Miami on Encore.

22 hours ago, UKstages said:

that's a good question. i've never done that. but i believe it would have to be during the initial booking because it can only be used for "new reservations." once you book, or if you're at the final payment stage, it's no longer a "new reservation." 

I asked the same question to my NCL PPC last week and was told that the CFC can only be applied on new reservation at the time of deposit or as the form of deposit, but not after the deposit has been made. He said the system would not allowed for that, and it is the same for CNC/CND.

The same principle applies to CNC/CND as confirmed by the CN Desk onboard yesterday. Nonetheless, some cruises claimed that they applied the CNC/CND after the deposit had been made. 

30 minutes ago, Serengeti228 said:

The same principle applies to CNC/CND as confirmed by the CN Desk onboard yesterday. Nonetheless, some cruises claimed that they applied the CNC/CND after the deposit had been made. 

It's more than just a claim.  It's a universal fact.  We've never had a report of this not being possible.  Prove me wrong.

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

It's more than just a claim.  It's a universal fact.  We've never had a report of this not being possible.  Prove me wrong.

I am afraid I can't prove from my personal experience. I stated what my NCL PCC told me last week and the CN desk onboard the Spirit.  Personally, I always applied my CNC/CND at the time of initial booking, not after. If practically we can apply the CNC/CND after the reservation, it is a good news to us. 

35 minutes ago, Serengeti228 said:

If practically we can apply the CNC/CND after the reservation, it is a good news to us. 

I've done it three times now, but based my plans on what has been universally reported here on the forum.  My most recent success was less than two weeks ago.  I should clarify that I'm in the US and not sure if things might work differently elsewhere.