SOLO TRAVELLER LATITUDE DINING 2 VOUCHERS FOR 2 (SOLO TRAVELLER, NOT SOLO DINER!)

It is quite clear, as of October 2022 anyway per lovemycruisetoo, that a SOLO traveller gets a Latitude "dinner for 2 with wine", "dinner for two".

In a long thread, which I didn't want to open up again, ggTexasGal mentioned that "You, as a Solo traveler, have access to 2 Latitudes specialty dining meals during a cruise of 5 days or longer.  Anyone with whom you choose to dine, is on their own for "how" their meal will be paid!"

Others have contradicted this, and stated that they, as SOLO travellers, have been still able to treat another guest to the meal if they dine with them.  Poster UKstages on here made the distinction that a SOLO TRAVELLER can treat another guest, it's just that Norwegian don't want a SOLO DINER having 2 meals, only one.

The confusion seems to stem from the language Norweigan are using - 

""""""""Effective September 14, 2022, Latitudes Rewards members who reach a tier eligible for the Dinner for Two benefits will receive 2 Dinner for Two vouchers to be used at any specialty restaurant on sailings 5-days or longer."

• 2 guests maximum – Dinner for Two vouchers are issued as a per stateroom benefit. 

• SOLO TRAVELLERS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR ONE DINNER FOR EACH VOUCHER.""""""""

I think that NCL simply mean that solo travellers can't tuck into 2 meals if they are on their own at the table.  But they can still treat another passenger.

Love some confirmation please.  

EDIT - MORE CONFUSING LANGUAGE ON THE FAQ ON NCL WEBSITE, which states "solo travellers get two dinners for one" - I don't think this is what they mean, - they mean "solo diners".

Can I still split the dinner for two vouchers if I am a solo traveller (two meals for one person)?

No, this benefit is delivered as two dinners for two per stateroom. Solo travellers get two dinners for one. You cannot split the voucher in to two separate vouchers and redeem the dinners on two separate evenings. The benefit is only if there are two guests dining on the same visit.

Edited by podgeandrodge

6 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Solo travellers get two dinners for one. You cannot split the voucher in to two separate vouchers and redeem the dinners on two separate evenings.

I read this as a solo traveler only gets one complimentary dining event but can get two meals during that dining event.  

So, for example:

Solo traveler goes to the restaurant on Friday night.  They can order two meals at that time on Friday night.

They CANNOT go on Friday night and get one meal and return on Saturday night for meal two.  

I sail solo often . Here are my experiences…A few years back, NCL would allow a solo traveler to split the coupon and use it for two separate solo dinners on different nights. NCL stopped that practice and at the time this clause covered that change.
 I have since, but not in a while (post Covid), used my coupon to cover dinner for two with someone who was not in my cabin, essentially treating someone to dinner. Given all the post Covid changes (belt tightening), I would not be surprised if this was no longer an option! 

I also did ask once if I could order two meals with the coupon one night and was told no.  At the time it was more about NCL allowing the coupon to cover a soup and a salad instead of an appetizer and a soup or salad. Since then, I find I get more value with the coupon at restaurants with cover charges than at the a la carte’s because of limited non-seafood appetizer options. Admitted picky eater here! 

Unless something has changed in the past 2 months, a solo traveler can treat someone to dinner with their Platinum voucher. They CANNOT get 2 dinners for themselves in the same restaurant at the same time, nor take one voucher and split it over 2 nights, either at the same restaurant or in a different one. I have done this with 2 people (me and someone else) up to 8 people (4 Platinum treating 4 others). Keep it simple and don't overthink it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Unless something has changed in the past 2 months, a solo traveler can treat someone to dinner with their Platinum voucher. They CANNOT get 2 dinners for themselves in the same restaurant at the same time, nor take one voucher and split it over 2 nights, either at the same restaurant or in a different one. I have done this with 2 people (me and someone else) up to 8 people (4 Platinum treating 4 others). Keep it simple and don't overthink it.

This has been my experience.  I travel solo but with a couple friends.  I comp one of them with each meal.  I wish they'd let me have 4 solo dinners but at least the other cover isn't going to waste.

• Thanks 1

I don't mean to add more confusion to the issue but sometimes you can just ask and they will allow it. It might not be "official" but they might allow it. In March on the Bliss, I used one voucher for two solo dinners over two nights at Food Republic. It was a lot of food for even one person. I actually asked to have more than four items in one dinner but they said no. I'm glad I was able to split it over two nights instead. It's tricky to know what they are supposed to do versus what they actually allow. All I can do is gather the data points and hope for the best and not be disappointed if they say no. Hopefully it's people with recent experience given all the belt tightening.

If I was going to get someone to dine with me I better have a back up plan. It'll be easier to get another person with the Platinum voucher so they can either bail or use their voucher or their Free at Sea if they deny the two of you.  Hopefully by being in the same situation with the voucher they won't feel too inconvenienced if it doesn't work out.

Edited by mistertomatoe

15 hours ago, alanstarr said:

One minor exception. If you use the voucher for sushi, you're allowed to choose up to 8 items instead of 4. But you can't do a doggy bag, so it's a lot of food. 

This is nice to know.  I was wondering about this.  do you know if the same exception is applied in Food Republic?

4 hours ago, mistertomatoe said:

I don't mean to add more confusion to the issue but sometimes you can just ask and they will allow it. It might not be "official" but they might allow it. In March on the Bliss, I used one voucher for two solo dinners over two nights at Food Republic. It was a lot of food for even one person. I actually asked to have more than four items in one dinner but they said no. I'm glad I was able to split it over two nights instead. It's tricky to know what they are supposed to do versus what they actually allow. All I can do is gather the data points and hope for the best and not be disappointed if they say no. Hopefully it's people with recent experience given all the belt tightening.

If I was going to get someone to dine with me I better have a back up plan. It'll be easier to get another person with the Platinum voucher so they can either bail or use their voucher or their Free at Sea if they deny the two of you.  Hopefully by being in the same situation with the voucher they won't feel too inconvenienced if it doesn't work out.

funny.  I just asked the previous poster if you could get 8 items in Food republic.  This definitely sounds like a YMMV situation. I'm on the Viva in January, and I would love it if they would let me split up my voucher into two nights at Food Republic