Fine wines

West Windsor girl

3 hours ago, West Windsor girl said:

Does Oceania have fine bottles of wine for purchase? How are the prices?

They do have a limited selection of fine wines. They are typically priced at 3-4 times regular retail prices. So what would normally sell for $100 sells on the ship at $350-$400. A $200 bottle, you’re staring down $650 easily.

The ships will typically have a “ bin end” list of wines that are nearing out of stock or past their drinking window. Sometimes these can be found at 1.5-2 times retail. Sometimes these can be good grabs, other times disappointing. Buyer Beware, no returns or replacements on these. There might not be much left, besides acid, in that 8 year old Cali Chardonnay on the list! 🙄  

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

Worth noting that the “7 bottle” program (approx $40/bottle plus tip) is gone. The list to choose from on each cruise was mostly USD retail at home in the $10+\- range except for the occasional “loss leader” worth $20+\- USD.

O finally figured out that savvy folks were only buying multiple bottles of the “loss leaders.”

If your embark port is a good spot for wine buys, BYOB and pay the $25 corkage then replenish your supply at appropriate ports along your itinerary.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Worth noting that the “7 bottle” program (approx $40/bottle plus tip) is gone. 

I am having a hard time finding info that this wine bottle program was discontinued. We were going to do that for an upcoming cruise so it would be disappointing if it was discontinued. 

31 minutes ago, BrakeawayTakeaway said:

I am having a hard time finding info that this wine bottle program was discontinued. We were going to do that for an upcoming cruise so it would be disappointing if it was discontinued. 

It has not been listed on the website for  several months  so  it probably is not an option any more

• Like 1

Personally, if possible I would prefer to go into a local wine shop and pick out the bottles I want.  You can easily bring them on board for consumption in your room.  If you want to take the bottle(s) to the dining room, must pay the corkage fee.  That's still a lot less than you would pay to buy off the wine list at O's inflated prices. 

Numbers of passengers (I'm not one of them) have said they have had no problem bringing on a case or two of wine. For me, I have been known to pack a few bottles of wine (no more than 4) and some vodka in my suitcase -- with proper protection, of course.  There's no rule that says you have to buy enough alcohol for the entire cruise before boarding ...

But if you are true oenophiles, you probably want to choose your wines ...

Mura

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BrakeawayTakeaway said:

….or finding info that it was continued (and that would be because it’s GONE). 

I’ve already posted previously that it was discontinued (actually months ago). 
The “seven bottle” deal, along with the “bin end list,” were among the first things I checked out on embarkation day. But on my last two multisegment cruises (both within the past six months), there were no “7 bottle” flyers, posters, mentions in Currents, etc.:  GONE!!!

Even then, I asked two GMs I know about it and they told me exactly what I previously posted here. 

Of course, if you still don’t believe me, you could disregard my informed response, not BYOB and hope for the best when you start your cruise. 🤔😳😢

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

….or finding info that it was continued (and that would be because it’s GONE). 

I’ve already posted previously that it was discontinued (actually months ago). 
The “seven bottle” deal, along with the “bin end list,” were among the first things I checked out on embarkation day. But on my last two multisegment cruises (both within the past six months), there were no “7 bottle” flyers, posters, mentions in Currents, etc.:  GONE!!!

Even then, I asked two GMs I know about it and they told me exactly what I previously posted here. 

Of course, if you still don’t believe me, you could disregard my informed response, not BYOB and hope for the best when you start your cruise. 🤔😳😢

Oh my apologies I didn’t know I was talking to the upmost authority on the subject random internet stranger. How dare I have the gaul to use an internet chat board to get information I did not have, or make you repeat yourself since you posted it months ago.  

In February when I signed up for our cruise they sent an e-mail with the wine bottle program attached.  Thanks for the updated info. 

Cheers!  

Edited by BrakeawayTakeaway
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, BrakeawayTakeaway said:

Oh my apologies I didn’t know I was talking to the upmost authority on the subject random internet stranger. How dare I have the gaul to use an internet chat board to get information I did not have, or make you repeat yourself since you posted it months ago.  

In February when I signed up for our cruise they sent an e-mail with the wine bottle program attached.  Thanks for the updated info. 

Cheers!  

The best way to use this particular “chat board” is to use the “search” feature first. There, you’d have found numerous previous posts regarding the end of the “7 bottles.”

And the “months ago” was referring to when it stopped - not when the various posts happened.

• Like 1

But Flatbush -- I'm very late to the party here, but perhaps a new poster wasn't aware of the need to use the search function as you suggest? From what the poster said, when they signed up for the cruise in February they received an email about the wine bottle program.  Perhaps O screwed up here ...