Other Oahu hotels

DCwom

So we're trying to decide how much time to spend on Oahu, we will definitely spend some time on Waikiki, but should we stay there more than say 2-3 days? Besides Honolulu are there other clumps of hotels elsewhere on Oahu to consider, or is using Honolulu as a base make the most sense for visiting the island?

North shore has some interest...some nice places to stay up there. Also, the Kapolei area, west of the airport, where Disney's Aulani is also frequently recommended.

That being said, I would stay in Waikiki for only 2-5 nights. Maybe even a  week. With a little planning, you can see all the Oahu sights from there.

FYI, the entire island is the City & County of Honolulu. You cannot be on the island of Oahu and be outside of Honolulu.

Oahu only has three designated Visitor Zones, parts of Waikiki, Ko Olina and Turtle Bay. To stay outside of Waikiki or urban Honolulu, you pretty much have to have a car.

When we stay at Ko Olina, it is to not leave Ko Olina much, maybe go to Kapolei for dinner.

Waikiki is the best base for seeing the typical tourist sights from.

1 hour ago, DCwom said:

So we're trying to decide how much time to spend on Oahu, we will definitely spend some time on Waikiki, but should we stay there more than say 2-3 days? Besides Honolulu are there other clumps of hotels elsewhere on Oahu to consider, or is using Honolulu as a base make the most sense for visiting the island?

I agree with Bruce-- there's not a huge reason to leave Waikiki if you are looking at touring other parts of Oahu. You could move over to Ko Olina where there is a Marriott, (very overpriced) Four Seasons, and Disney's Aulani. Unless you have smaller kids, where the Disney resort would be appealing, Waikiki would have a lot more going on. Also the beaches at Ko Olina are sort of manmade lagoons whereas Waikiki is a proper beach. 

You could go up to the North Shore for a night or two-- Turtle Bay Resort is beautiful, but also very expensive. 

Without knowing the rest of your travel plans, personally I would do 2-3 days based in Waikiki and then hop over to Maui for a few more days if you wanted to find another clump of resorts. 

For what it's worth there is also a business hotel (all studios and 1 BR's) in Downtown Honolulu.  I stay there because my office is downtown.  I like the location a lot. It's right on the main bus line.  No depot there, but with dozens of buses coming through there every hour, it's the next best thing.  Lots of historic places to visit in downtown.

No, don't post about the homeless folks.  Yes, they are there.  No, they won't bother you and yes, I feel safe.

Edited by CaribbeanBound

3 hours ago, CaribbeanBound said:

For what it's worth there is also a business hotel (all studios and 1 BR's) in Downtown Honolulu.  I stay there because my office is downtown.

Downtown is grim and getting grimmer.

• Like 1