Deposit question

HMSDingy

I may have misunderstood when I spoke to a HAL rep but I was told that my refundable deposit was fully refundable as long as it was done before a certain date. I'll have to all them back. 

8 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

I may have misunderstood when I spoke to a HAL rep but I was told that my refundable deposit was fully refundable as long as it was done before a certain date. I'll have to all them back. 

What the rep told you is correct.  A refundable fare is refundable until it gets into the final payment phases which then become only partially refundable.  

If you want to be refunded for cancellation after the final payment phases, then you will need Travel Insurance to cover a cancellation.  (Which I recommend anyway)

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

On 5/19/2023 at 7:34 AM, POA1 said:

Everyone should write Ruth's response down. It's the most succinct I've seen. One note: If you see a 150th Anniversary promo, it's pretty much Have It All+. Depending on your sailing, the 150th might include better internet, better beverages (Elite vs Signature Beverage pkg) and occasionally prepaid gratuities. The HIA refundability rules are the same.

I was cruise surfing for a 2024 cruise after reading this thread. When I did a dummy booking for a Sep 2024 cruise, I selected the Have It All - Early booking bonus.  I noticed the deposit became nonrefundable on Jul 1, but it didn’t have a year.  When I clicked the info button it popped up with “deposit refundable until July 1, 2023.”  It essentially gives you a little over a month before your deposit becomes nonrefundable because it shows final payment due on Jul 1, 2023 as well. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a glitch or new policy?

E9F76DB4-2D68-414D-8C83-CF68B41625FC.thumb.jpeg.92422f84991d56fc5778195948f07759.jpeg

Edited by 81Zoomie

13 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

I was cruise surfing for a 2024 cruise after reading this thread. When I did a dummy booking for a Sep 2024 cruise, I selected the Have It All - Early booking bonus.  I noticed the deposit became nonrefundable on Jul 1, but it didn’t have a year.  When I clicked the info button it popped up with “deposit refundable until July 1, 2023.”  It essentially gives you a little over a month before your deposit becomes nonrefundable because it shows final payment due on Jul 1, 2023 as well. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a glitch or new policy?

I’m guessing glitch. After reading your post, I did a dummy booking for the cruise we have already booked with HAL: 15-day April 2025 transpacific. It showed the final payment due on January 27 without specifying a year, with the information button beside “refundable deposit” stating that the deposit would be refundable up to January 27, 2023, which was a few months ago.

I’m guessing - without one shred of empirical evidence - that the intent is the deposit be refundable until the final payment date, which is consistent with their published cancellation policy. The Web site appears to have issues (imagine that, a Web site problem) when that date occurs after the current calendar year.

I'm guessing it's a glitch. Look at the terms and conditions for the booking financial details. It *should* match what you see. In other words, if the T&C say that the deposit is fully refundable until final payment, which it should, but the cart is showing something else, then it's probably the cart with the problem.

• Like 1