First Time On P & O

Hi Everyone,  Have just booked a cruise with P&O Iona in Aug going into the the Fjords, 

Cruise number 8. 

5 with RCI (will always be by No 1) 1 with NCL and one MSC (never again) 

I'm a little apprehensive as I'm very used to RCI but it was a fab deal considering it was KIDS HODIAYS AND A BH WEEKEND so I thought it was worth the risk! We have a child now of 18 months so our cruising experience has changed massively ! 

I'm going into this with low expectations and hope for the best.  

• My First questions is I don't know if anyone can answer this in this thread but my child will be 23 months on embarkation day but will be 2 on the cruise, do you think we will be able to straddle him between the Nursery (6-24 and the 2-4 YO clubs? 

• My second question was, On the itinerary we are on there are several 'cruising' ports. One of them is 'Geirangerfjord' which is next to Hellesylt where we stop for the day, does the ship down down to Geiranger spin around then sail out? 

• My Third Question was, RCI are very relaxed on Formal nights, I  get the impression you more likely to be in the minority if you don't dress up in a tux? Even on a trip that's likely to have loads of kiddies?  
  • Like 1

I can’t answer your first question I’m afraid. Best to ask on board as I suspect it will be at the discretion of the kids club staff. 

After departing Hellesylt, Iona transits down Geiranger Fjord past the Seven Sisters waterfall and then turns around before heading back out toward the sea. You don’t go all the way to Geiranger, but I believe that it’s over half way. 

On formal nights, there will be a mix of gents in dinner suits and dark normal suits. Both are fine. Of course, there is no obligation to dress formally, but the main dining room and some of the bars will be out of bounds to those who don’t wish to adhere to the dress code. Personally, I don’t like having to dress formally (reminds me of being at work) but I do so as the menus in the main dining rooms are usually much better on formal nights. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AndyLovesCruises said:

Hi Everyone,  Have just booked a cruise with P&O Iona in Aug going into the the Fjords, 

Cruise number 8. 

I'm a little apprehensive as I'm very used to RCI but it was a fab deal considering it was KIDS HODIAYS AND A BH WEEKEND so I thought it was worth the risk! We have a child now of 18 months so our cruising experience has changed massively ! 

• My First questions is I don't know if anyone can answer this in this thread but my child will be 23 months on embarkation day but will be 2 on the cruise, do you think we will be able to straddle him between the Nursery (6-24 and the 2-4 YO clubs? 

• My second question was, On the itinerary we are on there are several 'cruising' ports. One of them is 'Geirangerfjord' which is next to Hellesylt where we stop for the day, does the ship down down to Geiranger spin around then sail out? 

• My Third Question was, RCI are very relaxed on Formal nights, I  get the impression you more likely to be in the minority if you don't dress up in a tux? Even on a trip that's likely to have loads of kiddies?  

We go in the Buffet or Quays on formal nights.

No need to dress up. Avoid Crows Nest and Andersons bar those nights but plenty of places that don't need formal dress and there's plenty of people not formal

But would say 85 to 90 per cent are formal

We've done plenty of formal nights in the past but the work we do (managing fundraising at large charity dinners and lunches) means we avoid formal on holiday.  As we see it 2 or 3 times a week in our work.

We enjoyed our last cruise on Arvia more than any before (and we've done 3 ish RCL and 3 ish Carnival before - can't remember exactly). However we've always had the kids with us before so maybe that was a factor

Can't  beat Arvia and Iona for value for money. Thats for sure

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

My research has The Crows Nest on Arvia/Iona as the only bars requiring formal dress on Celebration nights. It may be Sindhu as well. I checked Andersons and the celebration night code was evening casual. However because it is close to the MDR it will be full of suited people so prepare to be glared at if you go in there.

36 minutes ago, davecttr said:

My research has The Crows Nest on Arvia/Iona as the only bars requiring formal dress on Celebration nights. It may be Sindhu as well. I checked Andersons and the celebration night code was evening casual. However because it is close to the MDR it will be full of suited people so prepare to be glared at if you go in there.

Yes I would say even on a normal night it's nice to be smart in both those bars

• Like 1

Hiya welcome along.

We are also heading back to P&O for the first time in about 12 years. We are looking forward to it. Our usual cruise line like yourself is RCL however we have found them recently not being "value for money". Yes the ships are amazing, esp for families however the cost of a 1 week is up there with a 2 week cruise on P&O. ( When including graturites, flights etc)

We did a very cheap MSC in march this year. Totally different to RCL but good in its own way, but the ship was beautiful, better decor then RCL. 

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on P&O compared to RCL. 

The fjords are stunning. Make sure you are always up early to see the sail in through the fjords is majestic. 

Have a great holiday and see P&O for what it is, remembering its not RCL. 👍

• Like 3

We did the Iona in kids holidays and really formal night was more 50/50 - it wasn’t particularly awash with tuxedos and gowns, and plenty of people didn’t dress up. My husband wore a polo T-shirt and dark jeans and dark “fashion” trainers and no one gave him any looks for not

dressing up .

The Britannia in school holidays was more formal, more 75%, and seemed to be a lot more “traditional P&O cruising”.

Edited by Cloudyrain
  • Like 1

While COVID was rife we booked 2 P&O cruises because the prices for both were so good. We've sailed about 17 times with Royal Caribbean, 3 times with Celebrity and a couple with NCL. As you can tell we like RCI! Well, first P&O cruise was on Iona in Decrmber and the 2nd was on Arvia in March (transatlantic from Barbados). To be honest, after the Iona cruise we'd have cancelled the Arvia one if we could have without losing money, we just didn't like P&O. It basically comes down to the old 'you get what you pay for.' Food, service and entertainment is far inferior to RCI - the buffets on both ships are basic and are like works canteens. The staff are nice enough but just don't go out of their way to go over and above like they do on Royal. We were very disappointed. Luckily we had lots of OBC for both cruises so ended up eating most nights in the speciality restaurants. We'd never cruise with P&O again and  as previously stated, go with the realisation that it's not on a par withRoyal Caribbean and don't expect the quality and attention to detail that you get from Royal Caribbean. 

• Like 3

On 5/20/2023 at 9:55 AM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Hiya welcome along.

We are also heading back to P&O for the first time in about 12 years. We are looking forward to it. Our usual cruise line like yourself is RCL however we have found them recently not being "value for money". Yes the ships are amazing, esp for families however the cost of a 1 week is up there with a 2 week cruise on P&O. ( When including graturites, flights etc)

We did a very cheap MSC in march this year. Totally different to RCL but good in its own way, but the ship was beautiful, better decor then RCL. 

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on P&O compared to RCL. 

The fjords are stunning. Make sure you are always up early to see the sail in through the fjords is majestic. 

Have a great holiday and see P&O for what it is, remembering its not RCL. 👍

I feel much the same, it was a bit of a rip off paying almost 800 for my son to sail the carib on Anthem at 18 months old in Jan this year.  The Ship was amazing in terms of facility's but quiet basic in appearance though the staff where great with my son there was no official line for kids his age and childcare costs extra.  

P&O are offering us on board food, special early dining for kids, free crèche and night for him to sleep, a MUCH better slash pool (RCI was a 2m round 'pool' with a 1" of water and one water fountain! 

On the face of it Iona looks like a much better option but only time will tell!  I will report back.   

Thanks 🙂 

2 hours ago, AndyLovesCruises said:

I feel much the same, it was a bit of a rip off paying almost 800 for my son to sail the carib on Anthem at 18 months old in Jan this year.  The Ship was amazing in terms of facility's but quiet basic in appearance though the staff where great with my son there was no official line for kids his age and childcare costs extra.  

P&O are offering us on board food, special early dining for kids, free crèche and night for him to sleep, a MUCH better slash pool (RCI was a 2m round 'pool' with a 1" of water and one water fountain! 

On the face of it Iona looks like a much better option but only time will tell!  I will report back.   

Thanks 🙂 

We have done anthem a couple of times. TBH i didnt like the ship. I think we have been spoilt by going on Oasis this feb in the Caribbean and Indy a few years back.  Totally agree with you the staff on RCL are so nice and approachable. This year on oasis my mum who is gluten free and a celiac was very well looked after. Practically had a private chef. 

P&O really looked after our daughter on ventura when she was 18 months as well, including a free crèche, we just had to get her off to sleep. 

Again hope you have a great cruise 👍

On 5/19/2023 at 9:55 AM, AndyLovesCruises said:

Cruise number 8. 

Good choice going on a P&O cruise (much better than expensive Malta holidays). 

On the third point, I have found most will dress up on formal night. I have taken cruises where I didn’t and I just stayed in the sports bar and buffet, had zero issues. 

• Like 1

Not done the 2 newer ships yet but have done Ventura and Britannia during school hols. Ventura was more formal than Britannia with 95% to about 90% on our sailings. Arvia will be my next 2 but I will be dressing up as usual. Normally a jeans and t shirt guy but don't mind the tux.

• Like 1