Brazil Visa's required for USA citizens beginning in October

Dgoddess61

1 minute ago, Lono Akeakamai said:

It's the same price that Brazilian citizens need to pay to enter the US!

Let me tell you about the time I arrived at the airport on my way to Brazil in 2003 for a Portuguese language class and found out, to my dismay, that I needed a visa. No one ever mentioned it, and I ended up being 4 days late because this was a Friday night and I had to wait until Monday to go to the embassy, apply for the visa and wait a day for it to be issued. I was livid. Brazil is just charging us what we charge them, like @Lono Akeakamai said.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

“…beginning in October…” ?

It’s been in existence for about a decade or so, it’s not new. 

It was in existence for decades, then the requirement was dropped in 2019 or so, so it is correct that it is being "reinstituted" but the fact remains that visas have been required for many more years than they weren't.

And also be aware that there is a 25% tax on all goods purchased while sailing in Brazilian waters. The applies for the entire duration up until departure from the last Brazilian port on your itinerary, no matter how far out you sail from the Brazilian coast, or if it is a sea day. This tax applies to anything you buy in the gift and duty free shops, as well as all drinks on board (even if you have the beverage package, they will have to charge you 25% of the NCL bar menu list value for each drink). 

• Thanks 1

When we got our Brazilian visas in 2017 we had to pay the fee by postal money order!  No checks. No credit card.  So we went to the Post Office with cash in hand and bought 2 postal orders (one for each of us). I had no idea postal money orders even existed anymore. Note the postal money order still exists ( just in case you ever need one).

My husband and I drove over 300 miles each way from our home in northeast Florida to south Miami (Coral Gables) to the only Brazilian embassy office in Florida and applied for our visas in person. We made a definite appointment time in advance and had to bring postal money orders for the payment. (Left very early AM and arrived home mid evening).. We left stamped and addressed envelopes with them and they mailed the completed visas back to us in a week or two.  We did not want to take any chances  as were really looking forward to our South American cruise which included a week going up the Amazon River to Manaus and back!

On 5/19/2023 at 6:10 PM, Lono Akeakamai said:

And also be aware that there is a 25% tax on all goods purchased while sailing in Brazilian waters. The applies for the entire duration up until departure from the last Brazilian port on your itinerary, no matter how far out you sail from the Brazilian coast, or if it is a sea day. This tax applies to anything you buy in the gift and duty free shops, as well as all drinks on board (even if you have the beverage package, they will have to charge you 25% of the NCL bar menu list value for each drink). 

Yes, that’s true. I only bought photos on the Star but they applied the tax. I’m glad I took my Brazilian cruise in March so I avoided the new visa fee. 

On 5/19/2023 at 1:35 PM, Dgoddess61 said:

Received notification from NCL stating Visa's required for our trip In November be prepared to be sticker shocked at cost of those visas $214 per person!!!!!!

We are also booked on this trip, but have had no notification from NCL - would appreciate it if you could share more details regarding this.

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

it is on the NCL website:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

scroll down to see the visa requirement

Sure, but don’t understand where the $214pp comes from. If you click on the visa link on NCL, the partner website states that a visa isn’t required, so I guess it needs updating

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2023 at 4:29 PM, shof515 said:

it is on the NCL website:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

scroll down to see the visa requirement

Yup, I almost got screwed by not looking at NCL's travel requirements. We have a stop in Vietnam for 2 days and a visa is required even if you DON'T get off the ship.  NCL is charging $99 pp!  I did mine online through the embassy for $25pp. Now to make sure NCL doesn't charge me for this might be fun...

• Like 1