Forest Fire Smoke and Cruises from Vancouver

JeannyJ

We are heading to Alaska in July (on the MS Volendam), out of Vancouver, and I was wondering if the smoke is affecting any of the cruises from that port. We live in Saskatchewan and the smoke from all the fires is making life hard for those of us with asthma (and other risks). I know this could all change before we head to Van but I'd love to know how things are these days on the coast, and up into Alaska.

18 hours ago, JeannyJ said:

We are heading to Alaska in July (on the MS Volendam), out of Vancouver, and I was wondering if the smoke is affecting any of the cruises from that port. We live in Saskatchewan and the smoke from all the fires is making life hard for those of us with asthma (and other risks). I know this could all change before we head to Van but I'd love to know how things are these days on the coast, and up into Alaska.

We had minimal smoke last week at the tail end of the heat wave, but nothing similar to the interior.

Regardless, it would not impact marine operations, as ships continue sailing, even in dense fog.

• Thanks 1

It is way too early to tell if there will be any smoke impact in July.    in years when the smoke has impacted things in the lower mainland (Vancouver) it is day to day depending on wind conditions and where the fires are burning.   It doesn't impact the cruise as far as operationally.   The only impacts that you could experience are poor air quality and restricted views of the mountains.   But again that could be day to day and the views get impacted by weather (if it is raining or if it is sunny).    

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JeannyJ said:

We are heading to Alaska in July (on the MS Volendam), out of Vancouver, and I was wondering if the smoke is affecting any of the cruises from that port.

You'll be fine.  The prevailing winds in Vancouver are westerlies so short of a conflagration in mid-Pacific we usually don't get much smoke (although we did get a lot from our neighbours down south last year).  In fact, due to these winds, we send our smoke to Saskatchewan.  You're welcome.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Woody14 said:

It is way too early to tell if there will be any smoke impact in July.    in years when the smoke has impacted things in the lower mainland (Vancouver) it is day to day depending on wind conditions and where the fires are burning.   It doesn't impact the cruise as far as operationally.   The only impacts that you could experience are poor air quality and restricted views of the mountains.   But again that could be day to day and the views get impacted by weather (if it is raining or if it is sunny).    

I know it's too early to worry about July I was just wondering if it was messing with the air quality or views. I'm really just wanting to get an idea of what's going on on the coast as compared to here on the prairies. I'll have my inhaler with me and have no issues moving inside if the air quality is impacted at all. I'm really looking forward to the fresh, brisk, air from the mountains and far north!

2 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

You'll be fine.  The prevailing winds in Vancouver are westerlies so short of a conflagration in mid-Pacific we usually don't get much smoke (although we did get a lot from our neighbours down south last year).  In fact, due to these winds, we send our smoke to Saskatchewan.  You're welcome.

Yeah thanks for that! LOL   Actually most of our troubles have been from Alberta and our own fires. But this time of year we always brace for what can come with the western and norwestern winds.

1 hour ago, JeannyJ said:

I know it's too early to worry about July I was just wondering if it was messing with the air quality or views. I'm really just wanting to get an idea of what's going on on the coast as compared to here on the prairies. I'll have my inhaler with me and have no issues moving inside if the air quality is impacted at all. I'm really looking forward to the fresh, brisk, air from the mountains and far north!

at the moment you would never no there are fires else where.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woody14 said:

at the moment you would never no there are fires else where.  

I did notice the smoke haze last weekend while out in the Fraser valley, but its high haze around the mountain tops. 

There is a great website for BC's Air Quality Index which you can check at any time. Look at Metro Vancouver, Victoria, Nanaimo and maybe Comox to give you an idea what you'd see on the sailing northwards.  

• Like 1

My mom says she is currently noticing the smoke smell when she’s out on her balcony in Comox.  Take that with a grain of salt, though, since she’s almost 80 and spends a lot of time watching the Weather Network.

• Thanks 1