for anyone that sailed sovereign.

Please ease my mind. My parents just got off the sovereign today and there were septic issues. sewage backing up into sink, toilets not flushing, bad sewage smell on deck 3, many of the public bathroom out of service due to sewage backing up. you get the idea. Is this a common problem that occurs all the time or just once in a while. We are sailing on the 10/16/06 sailing in a JS on deck 10 ( cabin 1540 ). Can we expect the same things to occur? It is my brother and his fiance's first cruise and I do not want him turned off to cruising by this. Any help an be appreciated.

thanks,

Richie

Been on her a couple times myself and didn't have any problems.

I would say of our dozen or so cruises, at least 9 have had problems with toilets. People just don't listen and put things in them that they aren't supposed to.

Our toilet has stopped working on two different cruises. It usually takes one phone call and about 30 minutes and the problem is solved.

I would sail the Sovereign again in a heartbeat.

Bobbie

We just got off the ship last Friday (can't believe it was that long ago). We didn't experience any problem. We were on Deck 6. I will say it took quite a few flushes sometimes for everything to go down.

My mother was on the ship and said she ran into a couple of the first day whose whole bathroom had backed up and flooded out their room. The ship was unfortunately sold out to capacity and another room was not to be had. It was early evening on our first day out and these poor people had no room to go to. At that point they had torn everything, and I mean everything right down to the carpeting out of their room to fix.

Yikes, what a way to start a cruise.

We were on the Sovereign in a JS in May and had absolutely no problem. Some thread said that the smell is prevalent before sailing because they do something to the pipes, but I don't know if that's true. I love the Sovereign and would go again in a (former) New York minute.

My parents were on her in Feb. in a JS on 10 (not sure of the actual room), and my mom took a bath. When she went to pull the plug, it kind of backed up a little, she thinks it was because so much water going down at one time. After it went down though it was fine. Maybe too many people draining their tubs at the same time.... :confused: :p

I personally can't wait to be on Sov. in June, though!

We've sailed on Sovereign every year since 2002, before AND after the refurb, and never had any issues. My mother-in-law sails on her every 6 months or so (She lives in central Florida) and always has great experiences, and she's very picky. I wouldn't worry about it. If there's a problem, they'll get it worked out ASAP. Sovereign is a great ship. We're sailing next week on Mariner, and are looking at another Sovereign cruise in the summer. Have a good time.

We never had major problems, but we did have trouble with toilet delay. Would try to flush, and it wouldn't. Wait awhile, and it would. It didn't destroy our trip or anything, but it did get frustrating. And no--we didn't put anything in the toilet that didn't belong!!

We just got of her last friday...we were on deck 10, had no problem in our cabin, but on deck 5 one day we went to the public bathroom and none would flush...we alerted a crew member in the hall, and were told to use one of the toilets at the other end of the ship, as they were having trouble with all the aft toilets?? That was the only problem with toilets the entire cruise...must have gotten the problem fixed. This was our 3rd cruise on her and we are booked again for October.

Famous overheard conversation of two Royal Caribbean employees in the hall: "These people are always complaining about their plumbing backing up. It's all because of the things they throw down there! Don't these people do ANYTHING besides *&$%*(* (colorful term for defecation) and ^$@#@^**(equally colorful term for, um, carnal knowledge) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

we getcha a million times nw merionmom, but still they had raw sewage back up and overflow the sink, I don't care who you are, that is just disgusting, you would think spending as much as they did on the drydock, at least do something with the plumbing

Famous overheard conversation of two Royal Caribbean employees in the hall: "These people are always complaining about their plumbing backing up. It's all because of the things they throw down there! Don't these people do ANYTHING besides *&$%*(* (colorful term for defecation) and ^$@#@^**(equally colorful term for, um, carnal knowledge) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

LOL!!!!! Funny Carol.

we getcha a million times nw merionmom, but still they had raw sewage back up and overflow the sink, I don't care who you are, that is just disgusting, you would think spending as much as they did on the drydock, at least do something with the plumbing

Ever stop and think how many times the plumbing problem is someone trying to flush something that should not be flushed???? As I stated in an above post, I have seen this problem on other ships and cruise lines. Most times it is due to improper flushing of items.

My husband and I were on the SOS back in January for the four day and absolutely loved it. We did have the shower back up but it took one phone and the problem was fixed within minutes (so fast that I barely had time to dress before they knocked at the door). My husband has already booked us on another cruise and we can not wait to get on board again.:)

Archived