Spectrum of the Seas Dining Package Question

I am booked on a 5D4N Spectrum sailing in August. I heard that the bars and lounges are pretty dead, but was curious as to how many people on this ship take the Unlimited dining package. On other ships, you need to rush to get reservations otherwise you are shut out or can't get good times. For anyone with experience on this ship, can you tell me if there are any worries to booking right away? Hopefully reservations will be available.

3 hours ago, fattymcdonut said:

For anyone with experience on this ship, can you tell me if there are any worries to booking right away?

Welcome to CC.

There's very little feedback from Spectrum, but you might search some of the threads related to her to see if UDP is mentioned. Regardless of the feedback, it's still a good idea to book the venues as soon as you board.

4 hours ago, fattymcdonut said:

I am booked on a 5D4N Spectrum sailing in August. I heard that the bars and lounges are pretty dead, but was curious as to how many people on this ship take the Unlimited dining package. On other ships, you need to rush to get reservations otherwise you are shut out or can't get good times. For anyone with experience on this ship, can you tell me if there are any worries to booking right away? Hopefully reservations will be available.

UDP seems to be quite popular. During my few times on SC and QN the last 2 years, UDP was particularly popular during high seas cruisers because it was worth the money with nowhere to go. 

I would still think it's popular now, but not to the extent you have to fight for it. Maybe best to keep an eye on your cruise planner and see whether any discounts are offered to gauge how fast or slow they're selling out.

I'm on Spectrum this July/august on a 12-night. The UDP is selling for $315.99 which is fine, but they don't have as many restaurants as Oasis class (it's missing Playmakers, 150 Central Park, Hooked, and Johnny Rockets).

In their place it has Sichuan Red, but the menu doesn't look appetizing to me (spicy bullfrog for example). 

I decided it wasn't worth the money for the 3-4 restaurants I'd eat at, so I booked a couple a La carte. 

The windjammer and dining room menus have a lot of options that aren't on other ships (the windjammer is the only ship with its own Wok for instance). So I figure I'll enjoy the free food more. 

• Like 1

I had UDP from Singapore to Shanghai.  I was happy with it.  I had no issues booking meals, and I think it really depends on what port you are leaving.  For us, the specialty restaurants were half full when we went.  Sichuan Red was actually a favorite since it was so different.  However, it is hot and spicy, but you can ask to lower the heat.  

Any review that a person says they "heard" something, but never went on it, should be tossed.  Asian cruises are different than other areas, and they are pretty exciting if you understand the differences before you go. 

• Like 1