Renting a Golf Cart in Bimini

heels_fan

Hello! I'm onboard the SL right now & we dock in Bimini tomorrow. We are hoping to rent a golf cart and have several questions for anyone who has done so before or has stumbled upon this info elsewhere:

1. Which tram stop should we use?

2. Are there plenty of carts available? Do we need to get off the ship super early to grab one? 

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Don't do it!  If you are physically able to walk about 2 miles on flat land then just walk into town instead.  Take the shuttle to the first stop and then turn right and head into town.  

If you do choose to rent, warning that the rental place right there at the first stop that has a small market as part of it has had numerous complaints about carts breaking down with no help and price issues. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ditto to @ociana. Have heard way too many reports of both carts breaking down and honestly the carts at the first stop look pretty beat up.  There are also some reports of the rental folks literally taking the carts back while you're out and about.  It would be nice to see VV actually step in and set up some direct rentals. 

• Like 1

You’ll be funneled on the Bimini jimmini to the golf cart meat market where they will hound you to rent a busted up piece of junk for I heard $50+ dollars. Just walk or go park it at the beach club and enjoy the food, sand and water. 

• Haha 1

I am happy to report that we successfully rented a golf cart that was operational for the full extent of the day. The cart was in pretty good shape too. Nothing at all rickety or dirty about it. It even had off-road tires.

What may have helped us have a successful experience is that I reserved the cart online through BMB carts. I then asked the jitney driver who at the cart lot was a rep from BMB and he pointed me in the right direction and let that gentleman know I had a reservation as well. I believe that prevented any uncomfortable haggling and set the stage for a smoother experience. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 7:24 PM, heels_fan said:

I am happy to report that we successfully rented a golf cart that was operational for the full extent of the day. The cart was in pretty good shape too. Nothing at all rickety or dirty about it. It even had off-road tires.

What may have helped us have a successful experience is that I reserved the cart online through BMB carts. I then asked the jitney driver who at the cart lot was a rep from BMB and he pointed me in the right direction and let that gentleman know I had a reservation as well. I believe that prevented any uncomfortable haggling and set the stage for a smoother experience. 

Reserving a cart was wise.  We were in Bimini last fall and, after reading posts on CC, decided that we didn't need to reserve a cart....thought we'd get a better deal just walking up and asking. We took the tram to the last stop where there is a large parking lot full of carts.  Based on the website, we expected to pay $90 for the day but were told it was $120 because we were there early in the day and would have the cart longer. I think if we'd reserved the cart and showed the paperwork, they probably would have stuck with the $90 price.  Not a huge deal but a lesson learned.

• Like 1

@Bluewake Oh no! I hate to hear that. I was wondering, if perhaps, we paid more because of the reservation, but I guess your experience answers that question. The gentleman did try to ask me, "how long would you like to keep the cart?", to which I replied, " the rental is for the entire day"... and he smiled sheepishly. Again, I believe that booking ahead of time cut down on what could have been any funny business about the return time. 

As @CruisingWalter mentioned, I do wish there was some sort of oversight regarding the rentals. I don't necessarily want it to run through the cruise lines, though, because then it will be even more expensive. I'm not sure of the best solution.

I hope you enjoyed your time exploring in Bimini!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2023 at 6:15 PM, heels_fan said:

@Bluewake Oh no! I hate to hear that. I was wondering, if perhaps, we paid more because of the reservation, but I guess your experience answers that question. The gentleman did try to ask me, "how long would you like to keep the cart?", to which I replied, " the rental is for the entire day"... and he smiled sheepishly. Again, I believe that booking ahead of time cut down on what could have been any funny business about the return time. 

As @CruisingWalter mentioned, I do wish there was some sort of oversight regarding the rentals. I don't necessarily want it to run through the cruise lines, though, because then it will be even more expensive. I'm not sure of the best solution.

I hope you enjoyed your time exploring in Bimini!

When you say "jitney", do you mean the tram that takes you right from the cruise ship?

Was the golf cart stop the last stop on the tram?  (we've been to bimini many times but not by cruise, and i'm finding that things are different a bit when a cruise ship is in, so I'm trying to get as much information as I can )

Thank you! 

• 2 months later...

Word of warning.  They were charging $150 yesterday for the carts.  Normally they are $60.  Either rent beforehand and don't say you are on the cruise ship or take a cab which are 5$ pp.  The guy we tried negotiating with came down to $120.  This was a four seater.  We took a cab.

• 5 months later...
On 8/20/2023 at 7:58 AM, jean87510 said:

Word of warning.  They were charging $150 yesterday for the carts.  Normally they are $60.  Either rent beforehand and don't say you are on the cruise ship or take a cab which are 5$ pp.  The guy we tried negotiating with came down to $120.  This was a four seater.  We took a cab.

Take a cab where?

We rented a golf cart from the lot right in front of Sue & Joys just SE of the traffic circle. I got the cart for &100 for the afternoon but be warned, they don't do any maintenance to the carts. The first one we had to return because the seat was hot and burning our asses! The engine is under the seat. The engine needed lots of maintenance and the steering was awful, U-joint shot. The second one the steering was worse but the engine ran much better. I told my wife if it breaks down we leave the keys in the ignition and hitch a ride back to the ship. Bottom line is unless your going to use the cart to go swimming at beaches there isn't much to see just driving around the island. Save your money. Grand Turk was much better renting and lots more to see.

We just paid $150 2 weeks ago for a 6 seater golf cart in Bimini. I think it was at Dolphin's. I wanted to negotiate but then my wife just paid it and off we went. What I found really interesting is unlike other times I have rented golf carts at other ports, they took no information from me. Didn't get my name, nothing. I could have driven it into the sea and if no one saw me I wouldn't be able to be held accountable. Just kind of strange. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 2:28 PM, jnicktem said:

We just paid $150 2 weeks ago for a 6 seater golf cart in Bimini. I think it was at Dolphin's. I wanted to negotiate but then my wife just paid it and off we went. What I found really interesting is unlike other times I have rented golf carts at other ports, they took no information from me. Didn't get my name, nothing. I could have driven it into the sea and if no one saw me I wouldn't be able to be held accountable. Just kind of strange. 

Makes you wonder whose cart it was.  🤔