Adults Only!

BuckGood

Increasingly, multi-child households are wealthy households. I would forgive the posters on here for not noticing, because this is a dramatic shift: kids are becoming a status symbol of sorts. Wealthy millennials are getting older and will become the primary market segment served by Explora within a few years (certainly before their fleet is even fully deployed), and they like to travel with their kids and will have the money to travel to every corner of the globe. So that demographic will feel ignored by lines like Viking.

What doesn't really make sense is that there are zero cabin configurations that work well for families with 3+ kids IMO. You end up needing two cabins even if have a Penthouse or Ocean Residence as the first cabin, so the entire vacation starts to become cost prohibitive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peder said:

Increasingly, multi-child households are wealthy households. I would forgive the posters on here for not noticing, because this is a dramatic shift: kids are becoming a status symbol of sorts. Wealthy millennials are getting older and will become the primary market segment served by Explora within a few years (certainly before their fleet is even fully deployed), and they like to travel with their kids and will have the money to travel to every corner of the globe. So that demographic will feel ignored by lines like Viking.

What doesn't really make sense is that there are zero cabin configurations that work well for families with 3+ kids IMO. You end up needing two cabins even if have a Penthouse or Ocean Residence as the first cabin, so the entire vacation starts to become cost prohibitive. 

Humm... Are you watching the entire film, sir? I'm sorry... Here where I live there are 2 kinds of situations: On one hand; kids of 12 and above want to have their own thing. Going on a ship with their parents enjoying their adult time listening to the music of yesteryear is their last of the last priorities. They'll to say a strong NO to their parents!... On the other hand wealthy parents want their kids fully occupied by holidays. If it isn't sharing on charity activities, it would be expensive language or science camps on UK, US or elsewhere the trend would be about. On those weeks, those parents will desire to have their own adult thing just for themselves!... Viking is so very well established on said market that they don't even need to sell globally. They'll just to adjust the musical offerings accordingly to the demographic's change. And Virgin is for the wealthy 18+ independent travelers whom want "crazy" cruising. So; for those outside the English speaking market there is simply no alternative for classical full adult cruising. I hope kids numbers would be at least controlled on Explora. And my best bet is that most will be on the 3-6 age group.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 6:56 AM, RICHARD@SEA said:

I wish EXPLORA would make their ships or a t least on ADULTS ONLY.

I like children but believe there is a time & place for them.

Perhaps a cruise line could have  a CHILDREN ONLY ship or 2!!!

Explora is the only ship in this space actively marketing itself to families by including a kids club onboard. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aururab said:

Explora is the only ship in this space actively marketing itself to families by including a kids club onboard. 

It seems pretty clear that Explora is creating its own space, not exactly like any other cruise line extant.

• Like 4

Sorry, I meant to type a bit more! 🙂 ha 

Explora is the only ship in this space actively marketing itself to families by including a kids club onboard, it seems silly to be on here complaining about that, when every other luxury brand, while maybe not expressly prohibits children, discourages them but not offering any real amenities or services for them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aururab said:

when every other luxury brand, while maybe not expressly prohibits children, discourages them but not offering any real amenities or services for them. 

Not correct - Crystal have two dedicated rooms with facilities for children on each ship  and during holidays sailings will have Junior Activities staff onboard to run programmes

Every time we’ve sailed with children onboard Crystal (not ours) they have been well behaved - but I have heard reports that’s not always the case (I blame the parents for abdicating their responsibilities in such cases)

• Like 1