Legends of the Fjords - itinerary changes May 28, 2023

niknot

Hi All,

Just a heads up to check your emails. Ulvik has been replaced with Eidfjord and the dates for Flam and Alesund have been switched. Molde has a change as well with a later departure time.

Longer time in port for Flam is a bonus though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, niknot said:

It is already there as well. Since not everyone joins the roll call, I thought that it would be a good idea to post in the general forum as well.

And good information for the 'Daily' and Fleet Report @richwmn

An update. The captain explained the reason for Ulvik’s cancellation and replacement with Eidfjord. It became apparent that Ulvik’s infrastructure just was not sufficient for Nieuw Statendam based on other visits.

Really not sure why Alesund and Flam were switched other than that we are to receive additional time in port at each stop.

A positive, was his comment to visit the customer service desk regarding cancelled plans. I was able to modify my Flamsbana tickets without a penalty however others may not have been so lucky.

14 hours ago, niknot said:

A positive, was his comment to visit the customer service desk regarding cancelled plans. I was able to modify my Flamsbana tickets without a penalty however others may not have been so lucky.

Call me a cynic but when I heard him say that I thought it was potentially misleading. I expect that unless you booked a shore excursion with HAL guest relations are likely to simply say tough luck!

I am a cynic as well. Should I learn that HAL assisted those with non HAL excursions I will report back.

This is my third cruise with HAL and each one has had ports cancelled, which we all agree to in their terms and conditions. So I can’t complain too much, I guess.

Typically, I do not advance book any excursions because of HAL’s tendency to modify itineraries. I broke my rule this time because there were to be two ships in port in Flam and the railroad was a must see for my husband. I booked the tickets directly with Vy (Norway Rail). They were kind enough to provide me with a refund when I explained the situation and I then rebooked the tickets. 

I booked the Flamsbana direct on the Norway’s Best website for 680 NOK (approx $60) return. HAL’s current price for the “Flam Railway Express: Unguided” shore excursion (ie, the same return ticket) is $129.95. Over 100% mark-up, simply to act as a ticket agent.

I knew it was a risk booking direct, aware that itineraries can change, but have to admit I didn’t expect HAL to give such short notice when it isn’t weather-related. The letter in the cabin references “port congestion” but they’ve always known about that given the other ship is Rotterdam.

Norway’s Best swapped my ticket to the new date which was very good of them given that the cancellation policy is 7 days ahead and HAL didn’t notify until 6 days.

• Thanks 1