New to River Cruising - Looking at American Jazz California cruise - Please Help

CruiseMob

Hi, I have never taken a river cruise before, and I have a number of questions. 

1. What's the dress code like? Do they have formal nights?
  2. Do they provide laundry soap and fabric softener for their laundry rooms?
  3. Do I need to have cash/coins available for the laundry rooms?
  4. Looking at pictures I see no lifeboats, do they have them on river cruises or only life jackets?
  5. Is there a hotel near enough to walk to terminal in Sacramento?
  6. Is it only excursions that say "complimentary" that are included? 

Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated! 

Dress is always casual. No formal nights

newer ships have self serve laundry machines that are free and they provide soap and dryer sheets. 
no lifeboats- you are always very close to shore, so not required. 
no idea about hotels

some excursions are free, some are premium with a cost. 

Agree with BaumD.  These answers pretty much apply across all the ACL cruises (and AQV cruises too, for that matter).  Regarding your one question (#5) unique to this particular cruise:  Yes, there are hotels in the downtown Sacramento area, some within walking distance of the ship.

First cruise was early April 2023.  But after a couple of weeks all of the remaining cruises on Jazz were abruptly cancelled.  But I tracked the ship before that happened and saw where it docked in Sacramento.  Use Google Maps to find "Tower Bridge," just to the left of the Capital Mall.  The ship docked just on the south side of the bridge, so you can measure from there to the various hotels in the area.

After a few weeks, ACL rescheduled all of the Jazz cruises to 2024, and I signed up for one of those.   

4 hours ago, DaveinCharlotte said:

First cruise was early April 2023.  But after a couple of weeks all of the remaining cruises on Jazz were abruptly cancelled.  ...  After a few weeks, ACL rescheduled all of the Jazz cruises to 2024, and I signed up for one of those.

Did you ever find out why they cancelled the 2023 cruises?  And will the same problem not affect 2024?

18 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Did you ever find out why they cancelled the 2023 cruises?  And will the same problem not affect 2024?

No, rep would not say why Jazz Sacramento cruise schedule curtailed in 2023 and early 2024.  Am gambling no problem for late 2024; am booked on one of these cruises.

Yes, as Joanandjoe notes, Jazz is currently in operation as scheduled.  Minor oddity:  Am planning on a National Parks trip in 2024, and for a long time I could choose between Jazz, Song, and Harmony.  The website still lists these three at the top of the cruise description, but when you look at the details you can't book the Jazz.  Originally Jazz was scheduled for 6/19/24, 7/17/24, 8/14/24, and 8/28/24.  Now the first of these is unselectable and the others have disappeared altogether.  Maybe this means nothing, who knows.