Live from NCL Escape 05/28-06/04/23 Miami to DR/St. Thomas/Tortola/GSC

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Seas2mountains! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Seas2mountains was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

School is out for summer where we live so it is time for a vacation and another cruise! 

We booked this one in early December 2022 when we planned to take our son and his fiancée as we love being with our family. We have four other adult kids and will try to plan cruise or land vacations with each of them as it fits into our schedules. A few weeks ago, our daughter realized there weren't any available summer camps for her daughter/our granddaughter so we offered to bring her with us. Our granddaughter cruised with us about five years ago when she was 3 years old on the  NCL Dawn but was too young to remember it. This time, she will be turning 8 years old a few days after the cruise ends so we will celebrate it all week!

We initially thought it would not cost too much to add our granddaughter to our reservation but it actually cost close to $1000 with a four meal specialty dining package and soda package. We wanted to let her order off the adult menu at specialty restaurants. I think I should have considered paying by the drink when she orders soda as she has not been drinking soda lately as she knows it isn't very healthy. 😇

It was a bit of hassle and is costly to add her to our flights as we purchased our airline tickets in December when prices were lower and they had to put her on a different reservation. We can't check her in until we get to the airport but fortunately we are all seated together. We could have paid for a month of summer camps to add her in the end but it will be worth the time with her for sure! 😄

We are mostly packed and waiting for the son, fiancée and granddaughter to arrive at our house to stay overnight as they live about 1.5-2 hour drive away. We are within 45 minutes to the airport. 

This cruise has been sold out for a few weeks and with other schools out for the summer, we are expecting a more than full cruise but hope our granddaughter can use Splash Academy occassionally.

Here is the itinerary for the week.   We are booked in two Club Balcony Suites.  We will fly out in the morning to Miami. 

NCL escape may 2023.PNG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

We did receive this letter about our reservation at Cagney’s.

This is confusing - they only release 25-30% of reservations pre-cruise, they can't possibly have not had enough tables to accommodate all that booked unless they simply put no limit on the bookings at all!!

1 hour ago, hallux said:

This is confusing - they only release 25-30% of reservations pre-cruise, they can't possibly have not had enough tables to accommodate all that booked unless they simply put no limit on the bookings at all!!

This did not make sense to us either. We are hearing that others on this cruise received this same letter. 

We plan to make reservations as soon as we get on the ship after checking in to the muster stations. 

It’s travel day! We have all 5 of us and our bags loaded and we are on our way to the airport.  

It’s a bit more fun with the excited family members asking questions and talking about what they are excited to do on the ship or at a beach.  

• Like 4

I’ll be coming onboard as you are leaving! I’ll be interested in what you think about Puerto Plata - not sure yet if I’m getting off the ship or not.

Have an amazing time!

• Like 1

We arrived at the Miami airport a few minutes earlier than scheduled and retrieved all five suitcases from baggage claim without any issues. 

We saw the amount quoted in Uber for an XL was about $33 to our hotel. My husband noticed several mini van taxis in line immediately after we got our bags so we decided to take one instead of waiting for an Uber. When we got to the hotel, Hilton Miami Downtown on Biscayne Blvd., the taxi rate was  $37. We could have paid by credit card but paid with cash. 

As it was after 3pm, we had no wait to collect our room cards for a high floor with views of the cruise port. Here is a photo of the ships in port yesterday as viewed from our room. Being able to see the ships made our granddaughter super excited to know we will soon start our vacation. 

IMG_4290.jpeg

• Like 4

As it was after 4pm now and we had breakfast many hours ago, a few in our group were getting hangry so we walked to a restaurant we tried in the past and liked with great views of the river, Casablanca. This is close to the Marriott and Doubletree. 

https://www.casablancaseafood.com/restaurant/

But unfortunately, they didn’t open until 5:30pm.  My husband remembered another restaurant in the area from a past work trip, Mike’s, so we walked there. While the service was a bit slow as seems to happen these days, the food was excellent and was hot. The prices were really reasonable. While they had outside seating, the views didn’t exist due to construction and we thought it was too hot to eat outside anyway. Mike’s is on the 9th floor of a condo building called the Venetian. 

https://mikesmiami.com/miami-mike-s-at-venetia-food-menu

We walked along the waterfront to the Publix to find a few last minute items and some snacks - okay truthfully for cheese. I don’t think my husband has survived too many days in his life without cheese preferably Tillamook cheddar. We have even visited the Tillamook cheese factory in Oregon about two years ago. 

Publix is located about two blocks from the hotel. 

Next, it was time for our granddaughter to get time in the pool. She quickly made a friend who was in her same grade and said she was 8 years old. Kids are so funny sometimes. Our granddaughter told her new friend that “technically” she was 8 years old. Well, she does have a birthday in about a week but we all smiled trying to figure out how she “technically” was 8 years old. Lol. 

IMG_4291.jpeg

IMG_4292.jpeg

IMG_4293.jpeg

IMG_4294.jpeg

IMG_4295.jpeg

IMG_4296.jpeg

IMG_4302.jpeg

Edited by Seas2mountains
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After the pool closed at 8pm, we showered and changed clothes. Note to self- even if the shower curtain is in place when the kid gets in the shower, check it frequently when they are singing and playing as it can become out of place quickly with water all over the floor. 

Our granddaughter asked what we were having for dinner. The adults could have skipped it since we had a hearty late lunch but we know kids can’t. We figured we better get used to eating every few hours again since we will soon be on a cruise. 

The hotel has a restaurant but we went to the bar lounge which served a variety of appetizers and entrees. She liked the Korean BBQ pork ribs and some chips and guacamole.  She tried to stay awake to watch an NHL hockey game since she is a proud hockey player but the Zzzz monster got to her and she’s been sleeping well all night. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

It’s a beautiful morning in Miami. And it’s cruise day! The Escape is down there at the end, I believe. 

IMG_4308.jpeg

IMG_4309.jpeg

IMG_4310.jpeg

IMG_4311.jpeg

My daughter is disembarking Escape this morning and she had a wonderful week! She liked the entertainment, food and service. 

I'll have more details when I pick her up at the airport. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

Next, it was time for our granddaughter to get time in the pool. She quickly made a friend who was in her same grade and said she was 8 years old. Kids are so funny sometimes. Our granddaughter told her new friend that “technically” she was 8 years old. Well, she does have a birthday in about a week but we all smiled trying to figure out how she “technically” was 8 years old. Lol. 

IMG_4292.jpeg

IMG_4293.jpeg

IMG_4294.jpeg

IMG_4295.jpeg

IMG_4296.jpeg

IMG_4302.jpeg

Perhaps your granddaughter believes that life begins with conception.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, montecarloss said:

Following along. How did you get to the ship?

We requested an Uber XL but the vehicle would only hold three of us and our luggage so we had our son and his fiancée take a second Uber to the cruise port B. 

6 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

We requested an Uber XL but the vehicle would only hold three of us and our luggage so we had our son and his fiancée take a second Uber to the cruise port B. 

I thought UberXLs were guaranteed to sit at least six  plus luggage.

Edited by vacation44

Good morning from Great Stirrup Cay! This was scheduled for Saturday, June 3rd, but we have some itinerary changes. We actually love this change as it’s fun to start out the cruise by going to the beach on the first full day. 

Our family members are reporting that yesterday was a 10 out of 10 or even 11 out of 10 so that’s my excuse for failing to give updates yesterday. I’ll go back to report on the embarkation and first day.  

We didn’t get our granddaughter to bed until after 11pm but she is still adjusting from Mountain time zone so that’s not too late for her.  

IMG_4373.jpeg

IMG_4374.jpeg

• Like 4

Check-in was really easy. While the terminal area outside was crowded and traffic was backed up, we arrived a bit after 10am but had almost no wait for security and had our key cards in less than 10 minutes. Boarding for those who needed assistance started at 11am even though we saw people getting off the ship at 10:45am. 

We were on the ship a few minutes after 11am but it took some time to adjust our restaurant reservations and go to the box office for tickets. 

Next it was time to change into bathing suits and get in the hot tub and pool. 

I have not seen a shrimp option in the buffet in years. 

First drinks were Long Island Iced Tea and Rebellious Fish. 

IMG_4321.jpeg

IMG_4323.jpeg

IMG_4324.jpeg

IMG_4325.jpeg

Edited by Seas2mountains
  • Like 5

We can report that the amazing Haven bartender, Made, from the Getaway is now on the Escape until October. We ran into him on deck 6 as we were ending our evening. We really wanted to book the Haven for this cruise as the prices were somewhat reasonable for us for one cabin but not for both cabins. Plus, we wanted to be close to our family members.