Tour or rent a car to Denali?

fridaythe13th

27 minutes ago, no1racefan1 said:

And you are probably aware, you can't go ALL the way into Denali because the road is closed. Not anticipated to be opened until 2026.

No, I’m not aware. Just started planning. Thanks for the heads up!

On 5/26/2023 at 8:42 PM, fridaythe13th said:

Does the tour package take you all the way into Denali or are we better off doing it on our own before our cruise begins?

The question is a bit unclear because the expression "all the way into Denali" can have multiple meanings. Do you mean "all the way" to the entrance of Denali National Park, or do you mean "all the way" along the roadway within Denali National Park, as far as one can travel?

Other than near the park entrance, including 15 miles into the park, the road in Denali National Park is closed to most vehicles other than the buses operated by the park concessionaire. Neither the buses brokered by the cruise lines for their tours, nor automobiles driven by park visitors, can travel "all the way into Denali." Instead, everyone needs to travel by concessionaire bus service. Two types of concessioned bus service are available. The lest expensive option is a transit bus service, designed for transportation and no commentary should be expected. The more expensive option is a tour bus service, complete with commentary. Both services are operated with modified school buses, not motorcoaches.

As for the journey between the cruise port and the entrance to Denali, one can travel on the buses brokered by the cruise lines, by railroad (either independently or as part of a tour), or in one's own automobile. Either way, one needs to transfer to the concessioned buses at the bus deport near the park entrance.

So if your goal is to go "all the way into Denali," your choices are to travel by tour bus plus concessioned bus, or by automobile plus concessioned bus. The concessionaire is Aramark Food and Support Services Group, Inc., USDOT 1747540, as a joint venture with Doyon Associated, LLC.

You did not mention a time when you are coming here.  To do a comparison, you need to look at the cost of rental cars here which are EXTREMELY expensive.  I have been doing searches for people on rental cars here using various websites and I'm coming up with about $225 per day PLUS taxes.  On top of that you have to stay somewhere because you can't do a RT by car from ANC to DNP and back in a day. 

The other thing you need to realize is that it starts snowing early in DNP in September.  Again, I did not see when you were coming, so I'm just giving you a heads up.