Dress Code.... without any Luggage. It Can Be Done.

WantedOnVoyage

We hear a lot about "The Dress Code" and mine is c. 1965.  I still fly in a jacket and tie.

And glad of it when dismal and singularly inept United Airlines manages to fly me from Washington to London, five hours late and put my luggage on a flight that arrives the day after QUEEN VICTORIA sailed from Southampton 9 May for the Baltic. I didn't get my bags until... the 17th. 

Cunard were amazing during this ordeal from the get-go.

I missed, of course, my paid for coach transfer from LHR to Southampton but Cunard (Intercruise) arranged a private car transfer at no extra charge that met me on arrival. And their rep liased with United's baggage people to try and get my bags sent to our first call at Gothenburg.  

Aboard, more astonishingly good work by Cunard I must say and in particular by the Grills concierge, Sandra Madonesia. What a star she is.  I was provided with a dinner jacket, trousers and shirt from their rental selection, free of charge. And they availed me of a rather good, if electic collection of "emergency attire" including a Next suit that was good enough to want to keep.  I guess I am glad someone else aboard at some time wore a 42 jacket and 34/33 trousers.  And glad I wore black shoes on the flight over. 

Cunard had, at their expense and arrangement, to send my bags from Gothenburg to Stockholm when United could not even manage to forward them to Gothenburg in time. Oh they got there on the 10th, a day before we arrived... and they waited two days to deliver them to the agent, a day after we sailed.  So Cunard DHL'd them to Stockholm.  

So a dismal episode that showed Cunard at their best and United at their worst.  There are some really outstandiing folks working for this line, ashore and afloat. No luggage for half a 16-day cruise is not ideal but thanks to Cunard, it did not manage to ruin an otherwise delightful cruise. Encouragement enough to book QM2 for 35 days in January 2025 and I think I will give United a miss for oh, the next 30 years.

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Cunard were amazing during this ordeal from the get-go.

That’s an awesome story! 
Customer service at its best. Yes, flying is for the birds…

It’s not just United.  BA has quite a mess on their hands…. At least one plane load of cruisers for several ships out of Barcelona had their flight delayed quite a bit, and NONE OF THE LUGGAGE WAS LOADED!  The whole plane load.  Excellent reason to fly carryon only…

Mrs Bear and I prefer vacations without flying - we tend to book QM2 round trip sailings from Brooklyn.

We also tend to overpack since we have no airline luggage restrictions. This put us in the position of being able to lend clothing to our table mates when their luggage missed sailing twice in 2017 & 2019. 
Oddly, their lost luggage did not find them in Southampton, and they next saw it at home in Florida 

• Like 1

Given your title, "Dress Code.... without any Luggage. It Can Be Done." I was expecting something different . 😉

This was absolutely fabulous service by Cunard . The fact that you booked a suite was clearly very helpful . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richstowe said:

The fact that you booked a suite was clearly very helpful . 

Maybe the Grills Concierge had more time to give vs the Purser’s desk, but Cunard should help anyone in @WantedOnVoyage’s situation, regardless of cabin class. 

It’s wonderful to hear you to received such first-class care in an era of significantly declining consumer service in all areas of hospitality and business. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2