San Diego Zoo Question

Hello:

We are doing a Thanksgiving cruise and we arrive in San Diego for an all day stop the Friday after Thanksgiving.

I was hoping that Princess would have a Safari Park excursion but they just have the Zoo (we are a big group with a few mobility changed people). With the Safari park being so far away further North, I don't want to risk booking it on our own and dealing with transportation that far.

So, we are considering the Zoo with renting a stroller for our son and scooters for those that need it. Princess's excursion for the zoo is about $55 more than the cost of a single day zoo ticket but it does come with roundtrip transportation via a double decker bus (and I assume maybe a little tour on the way).

My question: If we decide to do the zoo on our own, what are the best methods of transportation to get there from the cruise port? We will be a group of about 15, so if we do Lyft/Uber, we would need a few cars (not sure what the RT cost would be)? And being the Friday after Thanksgiving, I would imagine it would be busy.

Otherwise, we might just do Princess's excursion since it might be easier and swallow the extra cost.

Thanks!

It will be crowded. Do what is easiest!  It’s not far, but with 15 people you have a lot of moving parts.  

If it were me, I’d be there early - they will let you in, and you can wait inside the gates until it’s officially open to walk around.   Buy your tickets in advance if possible.  (if you’re not on the excursion…)
Decide in advance how you want to approach it; study the map.  You can walk from the front to the back, then take the sky buckets to the front again.  
You can take the bus tour first thing for an overview, then walk to area of interest - we like the new base camp, or Africa Rocks. 
Or you can just choose your own route.  
They also have guided tours for an additional price!

If you want to see Balboa park, it’s an easy walk.  Spanish Village is little art studios.  The Prado is a great restaurant for snacks or lunch, make a reservation.  

Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 1:01 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Do the ship excursion it will be less stressful with fewer moving parts and probably cheaper.  

I agree. A very busy weekend and too many people to keep track of. The double decker bus will be a nice little ride and sometimes it pays to put out a little more money for less stress, even if it isn't the cheapest option.  Also, consider taking the bus tour within the zoo if you have people with mobility issues. It's a fully narrated tour. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Im in the minority, I see.   But I think you buy tickets online and just Uber there.  If they are charging $55 MORE than a single day ticket, for a group of 15 that’s $825 for a bus ride.  If you use even a premium black suv Lyft/Uber, you’d only need 3 and at highest estimate it’d be $50/way, so that’s $300 total.  The $500 you’d save could be used for a nice lunch at Alberts Treetop restaurant inside the zoo. (Do make reservations ahead!) Any Uber driver knows of the pier and zoo, ESPecially the Uber Black SUV option.  

plus this way you can get any cost savings on he zoo tickets (military are free, child are less, or a group of 15 qualifies as a large group for 10% off rates)

but whatever you do, ENjOY! I’ve been a member of the zoo for years, and that plus safari park are some of my best memories.  If your budget allows, splurge for a behinds the scenes group tour. Call them and they will make it really special. 

• Like 1

I agree with Dobby.   One exception - last time we ate at Albert’s it took forever, and with a group it might be too much.     And all the food in the zoo is expensive, so be prepared.    If you have time to eat, I’d suggest a short walk to Prado Restaurant in Balboa Park.  

I came back to this post to say I got a Groupon email today offering discount zoo passes; if you agree to download their app they deduct another percentage.  Looked like a great deal.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 6:30 PM, Dobby36 said:

Im in the minority, I see.   But I think you buy tickets online and just Uber there.  If they are charging $55 MORE than a single day ticket, for a group of 15 that’s $825 for a bus ride.  If you use even a premium black suv Lyft/Uber, you’d only need 3 and at highest estimate it’d be $50/way, so that’s $300 total.  The $500 you’d save could be used for a nice lunch at Alberts Treetop restaurant inside the zoo. (Do make reservations ahead!) Any Uber driver knows of the pier and zoo, ESPecially the Uber Black SUV option.  

plus this way you can get any cost savings on he zoo tickets (military are free, child are less, or a group of 15 qualifies as a large group for 10% off rates)

but whatever you do, ENjOY! I’ve been a member of the zoo for years, and that plus safari park are some of my best memories.  If your budget allows, splurge for a behinds the scenes group tour. Call them and they will make it really special. 

We're going to be in SD on a Thursday from 8AM to 10PM in mid-October off the Discovery Princess, and we would also like to visit the Zoo for the day. I note that it is quite close to where I assume we will dock and from there is only about a one hour walk each way, which for us is a non-issue as we love the exercise. Weather permitting, would you anticipate any problems with walking  to and/or from the Zoo? Also, if we do walk it, exactly where is the main entrance?  The official Zoo map on their web site is horribly cluttered and confusing and I can't even find the location of the main entrance. Thanks for any advice.

11 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

We're going to be in SD on a Thursday from 8AM to 10PM in mid-October off the Discovery Princess, and we would also like to visit the Zoo for the day. I note that it is quite close to where I assume we will dock and from there is only about a one hour walk each way, which for us is a non-issue as we love the exercise. Weather permitting, would you anticipate any problems with walking  to and/or from the Zoo? Also, if we do walk it, exactly where is the main entrance?  The official Zoo map on their web site is horribly cluttered and confusing and I can't even find the location of the main entrance. Thanks for any advice.

The main entrance is at Rex's Roar sculpture.  Rather than walking, I'd suggest you take the Rapid 215 from Santa Fe Depot which will drop you near the entrance to the zoo.

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

The main entrance is at Rex's Roar sculpture.  Rather than walking, I'd suggest you take the Rapid 215 from Santa Fe Depot which will drop you near the entrance to the zoo.

Thanks for the info, I think I found it on the map. No wonder I missed it, the official Zoo map is oriented North to the right instead of up (!?!), so the Zoo entrance looks like it is at the south end, when it's actually at the east side near the parking lot. ;o)  No need for public transport, assuming that's what the Rapid 215 is, if we can't walk it due to weather, we'll just Uber or taxi to and from the ship. Princess wants almost $C150 for the bus ride part of their excursion for the two of us, so Uber or taxi would be best if we're weathered out from walking.

• Like 1

The walk is do-able in nice weather, but I would count on using most of the whole hour you found on google maps, etc.  it’s uphill, and as already mentioned you need to get around to the east side to enter.  Once you are inside there is a fair bit of walking and hills too, but you know yourselves and can choose Uber or walking accordingly.  The only other item to note is either way you cut through little Italy under the 5 freeway, or head to east village and cross over the 5 there, it will be congested with cars and quite possible a number of transients and tents, debris etc.  So just be aware of that, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 7:14 AM, lx200gps said:

Weather permitting, would you anticipate any problems with walking  to and/or from the Zoo? 

I wouldn't walk as you might go into some areas you might not feel comfortable.  Plus, save the time to see more of the zoo and Balboa Park.  

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I wouldn't walk as you might go into some areas you might not feel comfortable.  Plus, save the time to see more of the zoo and Balboa Park.  

On 7/27/2023 at 12:23 PM, Dobby36 said:

The walk is do-able in nice weather, but I would count on using most of the whole hour you found on google maps, etc.  it’s uphill, and as already mentioned you need to get around to the east side to enter.  Once you are inside there is a fair bit of walking and hills too, but you know yourselves and can choose Uber or walking accordingly.  The only other item to note is either way you cut through little Italy under the 5 freeway, or head to east village and cross over the 5 there, it will be congested with cars and quite possible a number of transients and tents, debris etc.  So just be aware of that, unfortunately. 

Thanks for the insider tips. The total walking distance isn't much of an issue for us though obviously a one hour walk each way is two hours less spent in the Zoo when a cab ride is a few minutes. We haven't been to SD in at least twenty years, so a bit of walking through downtown is something we look forward to.  Exercise is good ;o). We're not overly worried about homeless folks, tents and transients, we aren't planning to spend any time with them, just passing through. As one example, Google Maps shows a simple route due east from the ship down A Street to Park Blvd, then north over the I5 to Balboa Park and the Zoo, an easy 60 minute walk. Is there some part of that route that causes concern?

As long as you aren’t too concerned @lx200gps with a few homeless folks, you should be fine. It’s a pleasant walk that time of year and that direction has some hills, but no worse than other routes. It’s no a unsafe area and you’ll see a bit of balboa park along the way too. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dobby36 said:

As long as you aren’t too concerned @lx200gps with a few homeless folks, you should be fine. It’s a pleasant walk that time of year and that direction has some hills, but no worse than other routes. It’s no a unsafe area and you’ll see a bit of balboa park along the way too. 

As they say, "it's all good, until it isn't."  I think "a few homeless folks" is a bit of an understatement.  It is a nice reasonably easy walk all things considered.  

34 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

We haven't been to SD in at least twenty years, so a bit of walking through downtown is something we look forward to.  

It won't be like you remember from 20 years ago.  We have visited for about 45 years and it's all changed, some for the good some not so much.  But overall SD is a great city.  I would live there if I could afford it.  But I can't so we live across the border for about 1/3 the cost.    

I have visited San Diego 5 times not via a cruise but I would never walk to the Zoo from the embarcadero. We as a party of 2 take trolley and no7 bus but as a large party take the cruise tour. Inside the zoo, you will walk lots but there are hop on and off kangaroo buses as well as the tour of the zoo, there are golf carts and transport for people with mobility issues

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 1:49 PM, lx200gps said:

Thanks for the insider tips. The total walking distance isn't much of an issue for us though obviously a one hour walk each way is two hours less spent in the Zoo when a cab ride is a few minutes.

If you like walking, I'd Uber to the Zoo and walk back via 6th Ave to Grape Street. The zoo is all up and down hills too.