Cruising Asia

Cleckie

DH and I will be sailing on the Westerdam in January for 28 nights starting in Singapore and ending in Yokohama. We will arrive in Singapore several days early then visit Thailand, Cambodia,  Vietnam,  Hong Kong, China (Shanghai) South Korea and multiple ports in Japan. Wondering if anyone has advice on whether we will need local currencies and if so recommendations on amount. Thanks in advance for any insight. 

I was on the Westerdam on  cruise around Japan in April.  Some places take credit cards but Japanese cash is essential. You can get it easily at ATMs in convenience stores, particularly 7 Eleven stores and at foreign exchange desks in some ports  Take some with you, use the ATMs and change any unused other currencies into Yen at the foreign exchange desks or sometimes you will see a foreign exchange machine in stores. I found one in a pharmacy.  It has been awhile since I was in the other places you mention but when travelling there before I always used local currency, though credit cards were used more readily. How much you take depends on what you think you will spend it on. 

I was on Westerdam for 28 days this April, with stops in S. Korea and Taiwan. I very much agree that some cash is needed in Japan. Surprisingly, they still prefer it in small daily transactions. Also found the same to be true in Taiwan -- some people on my shore excursion were about to lose their minds because they didn't stop at the (totally convenient) money exchange available at the port before going on the tour and hence couldn't buy any souvenirs until the guide found a 7-11 for them. 🙄  

As alluded to above, I found there was usually either an ATM close to the port or a money exchange in the port building for most ports we visited.

Singapore and Hongkong you can use credit cards everywhere and ATMs are plentiful for withdrawing cash.  Leftover cash (in bills) is easily converted downstream on your trip.

Thailand and Vietnam will depend on where you are calling, but in larger centres the same is true.  Have a few baht for tuktuks, etc or a few Dong for street vendors is useful, especially if you are going to explore on your own.

In Cambodia US$ bills are widely accepted--the US$ is effectively a second official currency.  In fact, getting Riel can be difficult outside of Phnom Penh and Siem Reap (and even in those places can be tricky).  For small purchases you may get Riel in change, but almost all large purchases are done in US$.

Credit cards are widely accepted in China, and ATMs are widely available in large centres.  But if you are going into smaller areas, there can be difficulties and having RMB available is useful.  You can take RMB (up to 20,000, I think) out of the PRC and you will be able to exchange it for Yen in Japan. 

In Japan it's a very mixed bag.  Large stores, hotels and restaurants will accept credit cards, but often smaller ones will only accept cash--and only Yen.  Getting some early in your visit will stand you in good stead, especially if smaller ports don't have ATMs in or near the terminal.