Denali Road Repair Pushed back to from 2025 to 2026

donaldsc

Don:  This was reported several weeks ago (possibly a month?) on CC.  Tonight's Alaska News Nightly radio program was interesting -- apparently the company which was awarded the contract had planned to build their construction camp in May and now won't even build their camp for their workers until July.  They are planning to construct a 50 worker camp at mile 27 (a gravel pit).  And more clay soils have been discovered on the west side of the project.  I am starting to wonder when this project will be completed.  

The single park road beyond the Pretty Rocks area has had no maintenance since the road was closed at Pretty Rocks in 2021.  After several years of no maintenance one can only speculate about the condition.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting, Don. I hadn't heard this. I'm waiting until the road is repaired before taking my husband to Denali. I saw it 20+ years ago, to the end of the road, and I think it's definitely worth waiting on the full experience. 

1 hour ago, geepmaley said:

We are going in September as part of a land tour with Princess. I realize the road will be closed, but what are must do/see things with current restrictions?

The road is still open to Mile 43.

13 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Don:  This was reported several weeks ago (possibly a month?) on CC.  Tonight's Alaska News Nightly radio program was interesting -- apparently the company which was awarded the contract had planned to build their construction camp in May and now won't even build their camp for their workers until July.  They are planning to construct a 50 worker camp at mile 27 (a gravel pit).  And more clay soils have been discovered on the west side of the project.  I am starting to wonder when this project will be completed.  

The single park road beyond the Pretty Rocks area has had no maintenance since the road was closed at Pretty Rocks in 2021.  After several years of no maintenance one can only speculate about the condition.

Assuming that they really get the construction camp finished by July which is probably unlikely, how many months would they have to work before they have to shut down for the winter.  When they do get it finished and then get the road after Pretty Rocks back in shape there is the Eielson Visitor center and the lodge at the end of the road that will need fix up since I am sure that both have them have have had  minimal if any maintenance since the road was closed.  If I was a betting man as I must be since I live in Las Vegas I would pick some time in 2030 as when everything is completely done and restored.  

Perhaps we should start a CC pool where we pick the date for complete reopening of the full road and all the infrastructure.  The problem is what sort of a prize can we offer for the winner - a lifetime free membership in CC.  

DON

I just checked another article about the situation.  According to Dan Bross (reporter for our NPR station KUAC) work is scheduled to start in July so possibly the camp for the construction workers will be done by then.  It is a 50 employee camp so I suspect we are talking about pre-fab ATCO units.  

Bross's reporting indicates that thermosiphons will be installed.  Originally it was thought that 30 thousand cubic yards of clay would be removed, but now it appears that 80 thousand cubic yards will need to be removed.  I have no idea how long they will be able to work.   I do know that there is a minimum temperature for applying road paving.  Does anyone know if there is a minimum temperature for working with concrete?

@wolfie11 had suggested a CC pool be started in one of her posts several months ago.  At that time the NPS was still projecting a 2025 completion date.  The NPS website has quietly updated a completion date of 2026 on their website.  Even though our local Fairbanks newspaper has a full time reporter in the Denali area we are hearing/reading very little about the issue.