Smaller Boat Cruise for Multi-generation Trip?

daisydawg

Hi, everyone! I’ve googled and searched the boards, but I’m still struggling with this. We’re in the early planning stage for an Alaskan cruise in 2024.  My husband and I will be 50, and we have two teenagers (15 and 16 at time of travel). My in-laws are potentially joining us. They’re in their late 70s plus my mother-in-law has mobility issues.

My father-in-law wants to cruise on a smaller ship (like 400 passengers). I’m having a hard time finding cruise lines with smaller ships that are kid-friendly. Or they’re like the National Geographic cruises and not great for people with limited mobility (I can’t see my mother-in-law getting in a Zodiac to get to a port). My husband is easily bored and needs activities, TV, WiFi, etc so no TV and no WIFi is a no go for him.

I’ve looked at Seabourn, Linblad, Alaskan Dreams, Uncruise, Adventuresmith, Windstar, Oceania, Regent, and American Cruise Line. Am I missing something? Alternatively, is there a major cruise line with a smaller boat that might be a good compromise position? I’m thinking maybe one of the smaller HAL boats, but they’re still almost 2000 passengers. I appreciate any thoughts! Thanks!

1 minute ago, 1025cruise said:

Yeah, the small boats will be what you are finding. Your teens will be bored. I'd stick to Princess. 

Before he insisted on the small boat, I was leaning towards Princess so you’re confirming my instinct. I’m honestly less worried about the teens being bored than my husband. Lol.

9 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Viking? Or Princess

Viking requires guests to be 18, which is awesome if you’re not traveling with younger teens. Lol.

I’m going to show him some itineraries on Princess and HAL. I think he thinks the bigger boats don’t cruise the inside passage or go to Glacier Bay. Princess would be my choice, I think, although husband and kids would probably like NCL better. 

Sort of funny - I was thinking the teens would love Un-Cruise (kayaking to a glacier, etc...) and it is your husband that would be bored on that type of ship. Most think the teens would need that type of stuff.

Enjoy whatever cruise you end up on.

19 minutes ago, Coral said:

Sort of funny - I was thinking the teens would love Un-Cruise (kayaking to a glacier, etc...) and it is your husband that would be bored on that type of ship. Most think the teens would need that type of stuff.

Enjoy whatever cruise you end up on.

Thank you! I’m sure we’ll figure something out. 

One of my kids would love Uncruise, but my mother-in-law definitely wouldn’t be able to manage it. The kids actually read books so they’re better without TV and other entertainment than my husband.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, daisydawg said:

Viking requires guests to be 18, which is awesome if you’re not traveling with younger teens. Lol.

I’m going to show him some itineraries on Princess and HAL. I think he thinks the bigger boats don’t cruise the inside passage or go to Glacier Bay. Princess would be my choice, I think, although husband and kids would probably like NCL better. 

Some of the bigger Princess ships do not sail the inside passage. 

I would try to pick something with a lot of ports and glaciers. The one way cruises have this better than the RT Seattle trips. I would look at times in port. This is important. Sometimes people will pick a port that stops in Juneau from 2-10 and then complain that they can't do the excursions they want, etc.... So I would look at the ports you want, the times in port, etc.... Most of the cool things in Alaska are off the ship (so the ship becomes less important).

• Like 1