Question about Buying Cigarettes On Board or In Port

A very dear friend is watching my house while we are on a Caribbean cruise this month. I want to bring her back a couple of cartons of cigarettes as one of her gifts for house sitting. My question is where is the best place to buy them - on board the NCL Sky in a duty free shop or in the Dominican Republic, St Thomas, St Johns or St Maarten? I’m not sure if these ports have duty free shops that are easily accessible from the NCL cruise port or not. It’s been 4 years since I’ve cruised (thanks to Covid) so I’m not even sure if cigarettes are a great deal on the ship or in a Caribbean port anymore. Any help from recent cruisers would definitely be appreciated.

Remember that you are only allowed one carton per person to be brought back into the US without declaring.

That's why I love travelling with another couple. I can finally take advantage of the 4 for the price of 3 deal.

Cheaper on board as for Marlboro there is usually a buy 3 get one free promo. St. Thomas you are allowed 5 cartons to bring into the US but as of last year there is now a "sin tax" on alcohol and cigs purchased there. Cartons in St. Thomas average $50/per.

The prices are comparable if you get the buy 3, get one deal on the ship.  The other thing to consider is where the cigarette’s are made. The cigarettes on the ship are from Virginia while the one’s on the islands are from various other countries. It can change the taste… or so I am told!  I bought some in st Maarten in March because the ship didn’t carry a particular brand I needed as a gift. The others I bought in the ship! 

Just FYI to OP, if your ship is scheduled to be at Taino Bay at Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic - you should find the port's duty-free shop to have the lowest prices for cigarette, better & lower than St. Thomas, USVI with its "preferred" or extra duty-free allowance for returning US citizens & residents - saving you a little extra over ship's onboard prices.  

Do check CBP's current guidelines & duty-free allowances, and whether what country it was made in ... not sure if that matter being a gift for someone (certainly, we did not felt it was necessary to check) - and, it is by no means, endorsing cigarette smoking & ignoring its adverse health effects.