Why do Oceania’s cookies have no taste?

Woodrowst

6 hours ago, Psoque said:

I’ve never done that, but that does not sound appealing to me at all.  Sounds a bit gross to me.

I understand and most of the world sees it your way.

If you have a moment where it doesn't seem so gross, try crackers or potato chips or (dry) cookies with a bit of room temp good butter and report back

• Like 1

3 hours ago, calicakes said:

I would love to know this answer too.  I'm an excellent baker, having attended culinary school.  So, I guess you can say I am complaining about the cookies.  Cookies are so easy to make.  I'm assuming O doesn't use real butter. 

O uses imported French butter in baking. Pasta is made with #1 Semolina.

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

If you have a moment where it doesn't seem so gross, try crackers or potato chips or (dry) cookies with a bit of room temp good butter and report back

My first gf's dad used to smear thick pats of  butter on saltines.  I remember thinking how stunned I was.  He didn't have a long life.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, calicakes said:

There is NO way they use butter in the cookies.  

Again, there are different cookies in different venues. And it’s very easy to erroneously pick up a diet cookie in the Terrace Café. Try the regular Barista’s cookies and you’ll find what you’re looking for.

That said, you should also ask to speak with the pastry chef next time you’re onboard.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Again, there are different cookies in different venues. And it’s very easy to erroneously pick up a diet cookie in the Terrace Café. Try the regular Barista’s cookies and you’ll find what you’re looking for.

That said, you should also ask to speak with the pastry chef next time you’re onboard.  

I've tried the cookies in Baristas and the croissants in Terrace.  If they're using butter (let alone French butter), they're cutting it with a much cheaper fat.  This may also be the problem with the scones at tea which are crumbly (the steam from the butter in the baking should be giving the scones the tenderness which scones are known for which these are definitely not).  

If I'm able, I will try to upload the picture of the inside of one of the almond croissants so you can see the flatness and lack of flakiness which shows that they're almost certainly not using enough butter.

I don't really eat the cookies at the Terrace, but I've found my favorite dessert onboard is definitely whatever is in the cups on the dessert table at lunch time, usually some kind of cream something which does taste like it's been made with cream (e.g. coconut creme brulee).  That is usually lovely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, babysteps said:

Or chips Tostitos  with butter and salsa. Nothing like it.

12 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I graduated from Pace and use various different salsa; but I have to confess that I also don't use butter as much as I used to. And when I do, I use vegan butter. Hey, life happens.

Maybe vegan butter is the answer?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I graduated from Pace and use various different salsa; but I have to confess that I also don't use butter as much as I used to. And when I do, I use vegan butter. Hey, life happens.

For us, it’s several types of local salsa made with fresh ingredients (almost all are local). Even the chips (and tortillas) are all small local outfits.
No butter though- too gross and I’m pretty sure it’s a misdemeanor if you’re caught putting it on any kind of chip.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No butter though- too gross and I’m pretty sure it’s a misdemeanor if you’re caught putting it on any kind of chip.

Even I haven't tried butter on a corn chip lol. If I try it I'll report back! 

• Haha 1

Just boarded Vista and have to agree.  Cookies not worth eating.  Also learned that there is no Jacques, one of the reasons I preferred Oceania.

Loving the new ship, but the differentiator of Oceania as the finest food at sea seems hard to support.  Good solid food, but similar to our recent Azamara.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

Can't believe this thread has hit over 100 comments...but I do know that I NEVER walk past a chocolate chip cookie, except on an OCEANIA ship!

Lots of comments but take a look at how many "views" there are!!! 🙂

20 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

O uses imported French butter in baking. Pasta is made with #1 Semolina.

This was my understanding as well, but perhaps that's what they generally do but maybe not for every single thing.  Just saying that there must be reason why the cookies are unappealing.  I've definitely tried both of the types of cookies (with and without sugar) and am unimpressed with both.  We've tried them in Baristas and in the Terrace and were equally unimpressed.  

• Like 2

A lot of people probably think a problem with Cookies (The edible kind) is not a Big Deal but they are one of my most enjoyed items on a cruise right up there with Ice Cream (Not soft serve) and Gelato!

As we will be on our First O cruise (Marina in a month) I will reserve judgement on O's cookies and sample them with open,errr Tastebuds?

We mostly sail with Celebrity and I love their cookies. Especially the ones with Macadamia Nuts and White Chocolate! Also they make all their own Ice Cream On The Ship with some new flavors every day.

Plus its available almost All Day and it's not that spoon bending rock hard stuff in a cardboard drum.

Poor cookies will not be a deal breaker for our first O cruise and we look forward to the O experience.

21 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

Just boarded Vista and have to agree.  Cookies not worth eating.  Also learned that there is no Jacques, one of the reasons I preferred Oceania.

Loving the new ship, but the differentiator of Oceania as the finest food at sea seems hard to support.  Good solid food, but similar to our recent Azamara.

Excellent lunch of salmon on quinoa and poke bowl at Aquamar today has renewed my hope for culinary pleasure onboard.  Highly recommend replacing the cookie with these healthy lunch options.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, D. B. said:

A lot of people probably think a problem with Cookies (The edible kind) is not a Big Deal but they are one of my most enjoyed items on a cruise right up there with Ice Cream (Not soft serve) and Gelato!

As we will be on our First O cruise (Marina in a month) I will reserve judgement on O's cookies and sample them with open,errr Tastebuds?

We mostly sail with Celebrity and I love their cookies. Especially the ones with Macadamia Nuts and White Chocolate! Also they make all their own Ice Cream On The Ship with some new flavors every day.

Plus its available almost All Day and it's not that spoon bending rock hard stuff in a cardboard drum.

Poor cookies will not be a deal breaker for our first O cruise and we look forward to the O experience.

The ice cream on O is much better than celebrity. O carries Humphrey Slocomb ice cream.

On 6/11/2023 at 11:15 PM, calicakes said:

We took our first O cruise in Feb 2021( only 338ppl on board).  I thought the almond/choc. croissants were very good.  I wonder if they've changed the product.  

We have also enjoyed the chocolate croissants so I put them in the “everything other than cookies taste good” category. 

• Like 3