Longshoreman west coast labor unrest effecting Princess operation?

LawDog61

News media is reporting labor unrest among west coast longshoreman as they have been negotiating a contract for some time.   Apparently cargo handling is being impacted by job actions.  Does anyone know how the cruise port fits in this ?  I suspect,  but I don’t know, that the cruise terminal have separate contract with the union and may not be effected.   Anyone have any first hand knowledge how this might affect Princess operations on the West Coast?

15 hours ago, Dunk said:

The local news indicated it was cargo only. 

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that only longshoremen are allowed to take the provisions off the trucks and bring them through the gangway. A similar situation would apply to luggage. A slow-down or other sanction could scramble a ship's turnaround.

Hopefully the tips we pay will be incentive enough for the union to find other actions to take that won't have such a direct impact on their members.

Talked to a guy whose Father works at Port of LA. There's always something you can write up maintenance wise on anytype of equipment. Seems yesterday all the cranes in LA all of a sudden had multiple write ups that needed to be cleared. Management sent everyone home as the crane work would eat up most of the day. Have to remember the mechanics are also covered under the long overdue unsettled contract.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2023 at 12:22 PM, LawDog61 said:

News media is reporting labor unrest among west coast longshoreman as they have been negotiating a contract for some time.   Apparently cargo handling is being impacted by job actions.  Does anyone know how the cruise port fits in this ?  I suspect,  but I don’t know, that the cruise terminal have separate contract with the union and may not be effected.   Anyone have any first hand knowledge how this might affect Princess operations on the West Coast?

Are there any current Princess ships going out from San Pedro at this time of year?  I think I see a cruise that leaves June 17 and June 24 ,perhaps somebody will post then? Not sure if any have left since this labor issue has started?? 

I think you are right as there is not much activity in Pedro.   We are on Emerald out of Pedro in a week, so we will see.  Have not heard any problems from Long Beach where Carnival operates, or problems from S.F. Or Seattle, so hopefully cruising not being impacted.