Booked Last Minute and now have upgrade Remorse

ESBMommie2

Through a status match program we have a "free" cruise that was about to expire so we jumped on a 7 day Alaska HAL cruise.  The cruise cert was for an inside room and HAL wanted another 1k to upgrade to a balcony.  Cruise is next month and I'm having remorse.  Should I call back within 30 days of sailing to see if we can upgrade? Or just wait till port?  We are paid in full and it looks like there is around 100 + balconies still empty.  Thoughts?  First time on HAL.  

Edited by ESBMommie2

What did you status match? If there are truly 100 verandas available, wait but also research the deck plans and cabins to see what the $1k gets you. It may not be a good location.  Did you book yourself or using a TA? 

13 minutes ago, ESBMommie2 said:

Through a status match program we have a "free" cruise that was about to expire so we jumped on a 7 day Alaska HAL cruise.  The cruise cert was for an inside room and HAL wanted another 1k to upgrade to a balcony.  Cruise is next month and I'm having remorse.  Should I call back within 30 days of sailing to see if we can upgrade? Or just wait till port?  We are paid in full and it looks like there is around 100 + balconies still empty.  Thoughts?  First time on HAL.  

Welcome to HAL!

Your options will depend on what rate type you booked. Always worth a call to talk through those options. You're not locking into anything by just calling- you can end the call with a simple "thank you" without making changes if you don't like the options. 

But you may also find exactly what you want. 

Your options if you wait until onbiard will be extremely limited to non-existent depending on capacity. 

I hope you get whatever it is that will make your trip memorable. Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

7 minutes ago, REOVA said:

What did you status match? If there are truly 100 verandas available, wait but also research the deck plans and cabins to see what the $1k gets you. It may not be a good location.  Did you book yourself or using a TA? 

We status match through MGM!

Since i was a cert we had to go direct through HAL,typically we always use an agent.  

Edited by ESBMommie2

Agree with other post- there could be just one balcony left and all the others have been sold as guarantees- sometimes you never know. My recent experience in last 9 months and 6 cruises no upgrades paid or free were available on board ship- signs out ship at full capacity or no upgrades available. cant recall exactly what sign said but basically said go away LOL

1st cruise-6/18 new Amsterdam. Booked ocean view guaranteed last week, balcony was $2400+.

Called today to ask about upgrade-he said only 1 left-$299/p so I jumped on it without asking DH. He had options bc they were ”working on assigning” but he said last midship, sunset side (concerned about motion sickness). 

From what i read, balcony is so worthwhile for Alaska &  i love coffee &wine on the veranda daily!. We’re very excited-even tho $329/ is $3000 all in!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

Even if there are 100 balconies showing, that does not mean they are all available.  It is possible that a certain number are reserved for guarantees.  

True, but also remember that more balconies may open up as HAL goes through the "upsell" process (as people in balconies upgrade to suites for a reduced price).  It really depends on how full the entire sailing is.