Carnival credit card will not take the money, has this happened to others?

Gregoryfo

I am having an odd experience with the Carnival credit card.  I rarely use the card, but there was an excursion I wanted to take for an upcoming cruise and I figured I would charge it to the card to save the 10%.  After telling the family and extended family a week later about the fun hiking excursion I booked for for everyone they said they did not want to do it.  The next day I cancelled the excursion on the carnival website.  The $760 was quickly refunded to the card.  HOWEVER, when the statement ended a $76 credit was put on the card for the 10%.  I figured it would get clawed back in a few days.  It has been three months and the $76 credit is still on there.  I called Barclays (the credit card issuer) and they got confused and thought I wanted an additional 10% credit.  So after holding for 15 minutes the customer service rep came on and said his supervisor would not allow him to give me another $76.  I said again that I wanted them to take back the $76, that I should not get a credit for an excursion I returned.  He put me back on hold, came back and again said he was very sorry but he could not give me an additional $76.  I just got an email that my statement has closed and sure enough the credit is still there.

Your Carnival® World Mastercard® account statement is now available online.

To view your statements online, log in to BarclaysUS.com and select View Activity & Statements.

IMPORTANT NOTICES: Please remember to review your statement to see transactions, payments, other important account information and disclosures such as Account Renewal and Privacy notices. The account above is enrolled in paperless statements, so you will not receive a paper statement in the mail.

Your account information:
Payment due date: 07/05/2023 by 7pm ET
Minimum payment due: $0.00
Statement balance: $-76.00

Has this happened to anyone else?  Not sure if I should donate the money to charity or book $500000 in excursions, return them all, and go on a world cruise! 😛 

Some companies accounting department just can’t comprehend what to do in your situation.

when I worked for the Govt, I sent something out for repair along with a PO# to pay for the service. When it was returned after the repair, the vendor included a $2 rebate check made out to Bearer. Just to mess with accounting we turned the check into them. I bet they spent $1000 in labor costs trying to figure out what to do with the $2 check.

In your case, it’s $76. Chump change at the end of the day. If nothing else, have a few beverages on BofA’s dime. You tried to do right.

• Haha 1

There is an episode of the TV show "Frasier" where the father is given an extra $40 dollars (or some amount) from a withdrawal at an ATM.  No matter how many times he tries to explain it to them at the bank, they keep giving him more money instead of taking the $40 back.  He ends up with $10,000 "for his trouble" if he signs a document saying he won't sue them.

The scene ends with Daphne, his healthcare worker, asking if she could open an account there.

I'd take the money and use it.  However, I'd also watch the account for at least a year in case they eventually claw it back.  They might eventually catch on and I wouldn't expect they would notify you before charging the $76 back to the card.

You tried to do the right thing and they didn't comprehend, so I'd leave it alone at this point.  But, make sure you don't get to the point of being over limit, etc. if they randomly decide to claw the money back, costing you over limit fees!

On a side note - if you travel a lot, there are MUCH better rewards cards out there than the Carnival card, in terms of rewards that you can use for flights, hotels, etc. :)

Once had someone "accidentally" send me an etransfer.  called bank to send it back and took over 8 months and 6 calls to get the money sent back as they had to "convince" interac that the transaction request was legitimate.

11 hours ago, cmichael1221 said:

You tried to do the right thing and they didn't comprehend, so I'd leave it alone at this point.  But, make sure you don't get to the point of being over limit, etc. if they randomly decide to claw the money back, costing you over limit fees!

On a side note - if you travel a lot, there are MUCH better rewards cards out there than the Carnival card, in terms of rewards that you can use for flights, hotels, etc. 🙂

Absolutely.  The way we play it is once one of us goes over 5/24 the other will be under and will get the southwest companion pass for a couple of years, but once that person gets over 5 apps they pick up some of the smaller bonuses.  Cards that do not have annual fees (carnival) stay open to extend the average age of accounts.  This is not a card we use often, but they gave me a couple of hundred bucks to open it and the 10% is not a bad perk.