Spectrum of the Seas--What to Expect?

We are booked on the Spectrum of the Seas this summer for a 12 night cruise starting in Singapore and ending in Tokyo. This is our first Royal cruise as well as our first time in Asia. The ship, although fairly new, does not have great reviews so a little concerned, though we booked the cruise based on the itinerary over the ship.  The biggest complaint was that it caters to an Asian market--which I would expect considering it is based in Asia. We are from Canada and enjoy learning about and exploring different cultures.

I was wondering if any of you who have cruised in Asia can share what to expect. Is the cruise more formal, more casual or about the same in terms of dress code? Are there "formal" nights (I know this is looser term these days) and / or themed dress nights (wear white night, tropical night etc.)?  What about food can we expect-- the same Royal themed menus (are menus in English) still or would there be menus based on more local ingredients (we love a variety of different Asian cuisines so would be fine if there was more of an Asian focus & we also have the 3 night dining package to use as well). Is the entertainment in English? Would anyone who has done a cruise in Asia be willing to share their experience?

Edited by shaycamp21

There have been a couple trip reports from North American guests.  If you search for "Spectrum" in thread titles you should be able to find them.

There are also some Spectrum Cruise Compasses over at Royal Caribbean Blog dot com.

As far as negative reviews I ignore them. 

I'm going next year before Spectrum heads back to China so anything you learn this summer would be great to know.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

Im gonna be on this cruise too. I know you can expect the drink package to be cheap right now (check your cruise planner if you haven't already, I bought it for $43/day yesterday, the refreshment is at $24/day).

You can also check menus by looking at current sailings in the app. Unfortunately they're currently doing short cruises (4day) so you can't see much, but you can tell from what they have posted that there are some additional menu items that the Caribbean sailings don't get. I think the menu looks good. The windjammer also looks different, seems like a higher quality selection of food to me (check out YouTube videos of the ship and you'll get tours of the windjammer). 

The specialty restaurants have the same menus as the other ships, however Spectrum doesn't have Hooked, Playmakers or Johnny Rockets, but it has 2 restaurants that are unique to this ship (Hot Pot and Sichuan Red). I booked Hot Pot, but I didn't book Sichuan Red. I'm an adventurous eater, but frog legs and stuff like that aren't really up my alley of adventure for wanting to spend extra dining dollars on. Could be interesting though.

Im going into the cruise with the mindset of being casual. I think there are definitely going to be people on the ship who are gonna dress more formally, given the high prices some of them are paying for suites, and the fact that a lot of spaces on the ship are blocked off for suite people only. It's kind of geared towards people who value that separation and acknowledgement (more than they do in the US and Canada), and I'm just assuming they'll be kind of fancy people but who knows. I dont care, I'm gonna be in Asia for a whole month and it's hot and I want to pack light, so I'm not packing a bunch of nice clothes and accessories and shoes and crap. I'm going flip flops and shorts, maybe a sun dress or two. Mostly swimsuits, shorts and tank tops though. 

I've also heard that July and August are some of the most humid months and to be prepared to be sweaty, which to me means, don't bother with trying to get your hair cute and don't bother with makeup that will just drip off your face and clog your pores. 

Im excited to try something that's so different than the usual cruises I take. I spent a ton of money on this trip and I'm gonna go and be comfortable and have fun and not worry if I fit in with the dress code. 

• Like 2

Good topic!  I am considering a spectrum cruise and was looking at rooms.  I was wondering about the sky balconies and sky junior suites which are more expensive than a grand suite on the couple of cruises I looked at.  I had heard there was a different suite/loyalty set up but don't know where to find details.  

image.thumb.png.68233054ef1bd1e89073f5df3896daad.png

Edited by lucymorgan

15 hours ago, shaycamp21 said:

We are booked on the Spectrum of the Seas this summer for a 12 night cruise starting in Singapore and ending in Tokyo. This is our first Royal cruise as well as our first time in Asia.

Hi, I've cruised a couple of times on Spectrum out of Singapore. Previous to that I've been on Mariner and Voyager out of Singapore.  We are Australian and flew up to Singapore to cruise.

I really liked Spectrum, it's a lovely ship and a little bit different to the other Quantum class ships being the newer 'Ultra' class but basically the same.

I don't think I've seen too many bad reviews or none with any issues that would overly concern me.

Yes, it does cater a little more to the Asian market, as you say, not surprising considering that's where it is based. I think RCI states it as being a 'culturally enriching cruise' which is the email I usually get beforehand advising it as being so when I've cruised in the region.

Yes, the food onboard is a little more inclined towards the Asian side but there are still plenty of other 'western' options to choose from. 

I actually found the dress code to be more casual than usual - like shorts and t-shirts being worn in the dining room at night by a lot of the guests!

I think they still had the 'Dress to Impress/Formal' night but most guests treated it pretty casual.  As with most of the ships these days, just wear whatever makes you comfortable.

When we were last onboard (just post-covid) most guests were encouraged to look at menus on their phones although the waiters were happy to bring us a real menu, usually without us even asking.

Everything is still in English - menu's and entertainment.  

We've always had a great time sailing on the ships out of Singapore, very easy and simple process.

I did look at this cruise and would have loved to do it but we are on a segment of the World Cruise next year so that is more than enough to deal with for now!

Quantum is going to Singapore for her 5 year dry dock at the end of next year so we are going to join the ship for the sailing after that from Singapore to Brisbane.

I'm sure you will have a great time sailing on Spectrum.  Whilst we were in the minority in regards to nationalities we in no way felt out of place or had any issues.  

Have a great cruise!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@lucymorgan

There is a silver lounge and a gold lounge.

Not sure what tier you are? Pinnacles can go in either. Silver dining is an upmarket windjammer buffet while the Gold dining is a set menu served to your table (as in Coastal Kitchen).
The silver lounge is where the evening drinks and nibbles are served (used by Diamond Plus and above).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used YouTube to search for some cabin videos and found some videos of the Sky Junior Suite for example.  To me they look like a standard Quantum class JS but with Sky Class benefits and located close to the Golden Suite area which is unique to Spectrum.  

While Odyssey doesn't have this area, Odyssey does have the same aft facing balcony and JS cabins.  There are many YT videos that highlight those cabins that you won't find on the pre-Ultra Quantum class.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, twangster said:

I used YouTube to search for some cabin videos and found some videos of the Sky Junior Suite for example.  To me they look like a standard Quantum class JS but with Sky Class benefits and located close to the Golden Suite area which is unique to Spectrum.  

While Odyssey doesn't have this area, Odyssey does have the same aft facing balcony and JS cabins.  There are many YT videos that highlight those cabins that you won't find on the pre-Ultra Quantum class.  

Thanks - Great idea - I'll go and look now

I'm looking forward to my 2024 Spectrum sailing but I booked a suite knowing I'll have access to silver and golden dining privileges.   

As the world returns to "normal" post shutdown I am once again booking more cruises farther from home.  Culturally enriching to me is a positive.  

• Like 3

On 6/12/2023 at 12:18 PM, twangster said:

I'm looking forward to my 2024 Spectrum sailing but I booked a suite knowing I'll have access to silver and golden dining privileges.   

As the world returns to "normal" post shutdown I am once again booking more cruises farther from home.  Culturally enriching to me is a positive.  

There are plenty of regular cruises from here who fly regularly to Singapore just to go on Spectrum and it is their favourite ship. From what they all say you will enjoy it.