New to Virgin, could use some help from the experts

1025cruise

I'll be on Valiant Lady in October and I'm a first time Virgin cruiser; Pinnacle on RC.  I would assume the same above recommendations and suggestions are true for this ship too?  I also like to eat early, 5:30pm or so; is it difficult to obtain reservations for dinner at that time?  Thanks all for your insider tips.

36 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I'll be on Valiant Lady in October and I'm a first time Virgin cruiser; Pinnacle on RC.  I would assume the same above recommendations and suggestions are true for this ship too?  I also like to eat early, 5:30pm or so; is it difficult to obtain reservations for dinner at that time?  Thanks all for your insider tips.

All restaurants open at 6, but I’d say the 6pm reservations are easier to get than like 7-8:30.  If you go to dinners this early, you’ll have no issues fitting shows/evening activities in, but you may miss some daytime fun and daylight in general!

• Like 3

1) Your bar tab covers all beverages with a charge. I created a cheat sheet so I could estimate out needs based on length of voyage. (see below)

2) VV has been doing a bunch of specials, the menus are fine for standard fare but there may be specials available.

3) Make reservations for those you know you want to go to. For those nights you can't make a reservation, or already reserved a place the max number of times, do a walk up. You can generally get a seat that way. Unless you're a large party.

4) Spa passes are one-day only

5) congratulations!  You'll get the Deep Blue Extras, early boarding (right after rockstars), an extra $100 on your bar tab, a daily credit at Grounds Club (yum), premium WiFi, special cocktail event, a complimentary bag of laundry and two pressed items.

6) with DBE you'll be able to board around 1:50 - yay!

image.png.c926bf2da485e083768f3ec8e81ec321.png

• Like 1

Your cheat sheet is very accurate as of our most recent voyage, May 2023/

One other hint--if you couldn't get a reservation or have used up your max number of reservations at a restaurant, you can go to the restaurant early.  They are able to make a reservation for you later that evening or the next night!  I don't know if they have access to the rest of the cruise.  You can also do a walk up, but if you want to try for a "prime time" spot around 8, it is easy to go about 6:30 and ask if they can give you a reservation near that time.  Then you know you will be seated rather than "probably."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

Not a surprise--they are raising prices on a lot of things!

For those who are interested the other price rises I noticed when we were on Resilient last week compared to Valiant Lady last year are the follow. 
Test Kitchen pairings up from $35 to $40

Standard Absolut vodka and mixer up from $7 to $8.

Heineken draught beer up from $5 to $6.

Cocktails on menus didn’t appear to have change compared to what I remembered. It seems to be the lower priced drinks they’ve increased.

On 6/17/2023 at 11:25 AM, 1025cruise said:

If you are Pinnacle on RC, don't forget to do the status match that Virgin is offering.

I did already; thank you.  Although, it doesn't show up on my profile page as being a Sea Rover.  It still says I'm a Sea Blazer.

32 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I did already; thank you.  Although, it doesn't show up on my profile page as being a Sea Rover.  It still says I'm a Sea Blazer.

If the sea blazer badge is greyed out you don’t have it. There is no badge for sea rover. But you should see deep blue extras under add-ons for your upcoming voyage?

2 hours ago, jon81uk said:

If the sea blazer badge is greyed out you don’t have it. There is no badge for sea rover. But you should see deep blue extras under add-ons for your upcoming voyage?

Sea Blazer and Sea Rover are totally different things.  THe status match gives you Sea Rover for that  cruise. The badges have been acting up.  On the account, if you see Deep Blue Extras under "add ons", you have the it.

On 6/22/2023 at 7:06 AM, jon81uk said:

Finally found it; and the letter they sent me with regards to my status match upgrade.  Thanks all.

Edited by Surfguyxxx

6 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

Hmmmmmm; I hope I don't have to call .  

Do you see deep blue extras under add-ons for your cruise?

How long is it since you submitted the status match? If it’s been two weeks and you neither have an email confirmation of the match or the extras showing in add-ons then you are best to call. It’s the quickest way to get an answer. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jon81uk said:

Do you see deep blue extras under add-ons for your cruise?

How long is it since you submitted the status match? If it’s been two weeks and you neither have an email confirmation of the match or the extras showing in add-ons then you are best to call. It’s the quickest way to get an answer. 

I did find it and it says I have Deep Blue Extra Add-Ons;    $600 bar tab (which I don't drink alcohol LOL), Deep Blue Extras and another Bonus $100 Bar Tab.  Husband only has the Deep Blue Extras listed under his name.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I did find it and it says I have Deep Blue Extra Add-Ons;    $600 bar tab (which I don't drink alcohol LOL), Deep Blue Extras and another Bonus $100 Bar Tab.  Husband only has the Deep Blue Extras listed under his name.  

Deep Blue Extras is the status match.  It doesn't really matter whether one or both of you have it as the benefits are "per cabin" not "per person.  The $100 bar tab is part of the Deep Blue Extras, but will only show up on the lead cruiser.  The $600 bar tab is from the current promotion which must have been in effect when you booked. You have listed exactly what you are supposed to have.

The bar tab is good for any beverage on board that has a charge, not just alcohol.  For instance, you could use it for cold pressed juices, any specialty coffee/tea/hot chocolate that exceeds your $10 per day  DBE benefit, smoothies from the Social Club (can be made with or without alcohol,  the non-alcoholic drink pairing in Test Kitchen, and you can ask for almost any bar drink to be made as non-alcoholic.  When you have bar tab left at the end of the cruise, you can buy a bottle of something to take home.  You must buy from a BAR, not from the duty free shop, and of course are subject to customs regulations.  You can also treat your "new best friends" to a round or two.  I wish you could transfer it over to me for my cruise (which doesn't include the bar tab deal), but it dies the minute you step off the ship. You CAN purchase drinks for anyone else on the ship though, so if you make friends.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

You must have booked under a promotion for the $600 bar tab. I got $300 and didn't realize it.

Now if I could just get my cabin assigned since I'm sailing next week.....

Not at all unusual to wait for an assignment until 48-72 hours before embarkation.  Fingers crossed for a nice upgrade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Deep Blue Extras is the status match.  It doesn't really matter whether one or both of you have it as the benefits are "per cabin" not "per person.  The $100 bar tab is part of the Deep Blue Extras, but will only show up on the lead cruiser.  The $600 bar tab is from the current promotion which must have been in effect when you booked. You have listed exactly what you are supposed to have.

The bar tab is good for any beverage on board that has a charge, not just alcohol.  For instance, you could use it for cold pressed juices, any specialty coffee/tea/hot chocolate that exceeds your $10 per day  DBE benefit, smoothies from the Social Club (can be made with or without alcohol,  the non-alcoholic drink pairing in Test Kitchen, and you can ask for almost any bar drink to be made as non-alcoholic.  When you have bar tab left at the end of the cruise, you can buy a bottle of something to take home.  You must buy from a BAR, not from the duty free shop, and of course are subject to customs regulations.  You can also treat your "new best friends" to a round or two.  I wish you could transfer it over to me for my cruise (which doesn't include the bar tab deal), but it dies the minute you step off the ship. You CAN purchase drinks for anyone else on the ship though, so if you make friends.....

Thank you; that's very helpful.  I drink a lot of bottled water too so I'm assuming that the charge for that is deducted from the $600 bar tab?  Thanks again for your help.

13 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I drink a lot of bottled water too so I'm assuming that the charge for that is deducted from the $600 bar tab?  Thanks again for your help

There’s no bottled water onboard- they sustainably filter their own and provide it in rooms in carafes and around the ship at water bottle refill stations vs selling you single use plastic bottles at an exorbitant markup.

Their filtered water quality is better than anything you can get in a bottle! 

• Like 4

Just now, _tacocat_ said:

There’s no bottled water onboard- they sustainably filter their own and provide it in rooms in carafes and around the ship at water bottle refill stations vs selling you single use plastic bottles at an exorbitant markup.

Their filtered water quality is better than anything you can get in a bottle! 

Interesting; thank you.

34 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

Thank you; that's very helpful.  I drink a lot of bottled water too so I'm assuming that the charge for that is deducted from the $600 bar tab?  Thanks again for your help.

There is NO bottled water on board.  Period.  None.  What there is at no charge--bottle refill stations located in multiple places around the ship.  In addition, your host will place 2 carafes of water in you cabin each morning--still or sparkling or one of each. You can request to have these refilled at any time using the app or tablet to put in the request.  The idea is that the line is reducing one use plastics by not selling them on the ship.  

You will need to bring the water bottle of your choice--metal, heavy plastic, or whatever suits you, and plan to refill it as often as you wish.  There is no charge for any water on the ship.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, neverendingcruising said:

And since there is also no tipping, you never feel bad only asking for free drinks like a glass of water or soda since it makes no difference to the bartender/server. 

Ahhhhh, no tipping?  Really?????🤔