New to Virgin, could use some help from the experts

1025cruise

7 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

Ahhhhh, no tipping?  Really?????🤔

Tips are included in the cruise fare.  Yes, no tipping anywhere on board.  Tipping still exists to porters, tour guides, etc., but these people do not work for VV

We offered a tip in the spa and were politely told that the price included the tip and that they were paid much better than on other lines where tipping is expected. (that's polite for "thanks, but no thanks."  You don't sign anything when you get a drink  as it is all handled electronically by scanning your band.  They show you the charge on their "crew device" which looks just like a phone.  There is no way to add a tip.  In the review at the end, you will be asked whether any crew member tried to get you to tip.

• Like 3

Really like reading these tips as we are boarding in less than 30 days on our first VV after 15 years of NCL almost exclusively.

I do have a question on booking our next one.  Is it better to wait to book onboard this trip the next one - are there are incentives/deals offered for booking onboard?  If not, then I'll book it now as I'm worried that it will sell out (early 2024)

25 minutes ago, travellingguy said:

Really like reading these tips as we are boarding in less than 30 days on our first VV after 15 years of NCL almost exclusively.

I do have a question on booking our next one.  Is it better to wait to book onboard this trip the next one - are there are incentives/deals offered for booking onboard?  If not, then I'll book it now as I'm worried that it will sell out (early 2024)

The advantage of booking on board is a $300 discount + $600 in loot on top of whatever the current special might be.  The nice thing about the MNVV program is that it is transferrable.  Many agents (first mates) who travel on VV regularly purchase the max number of certificates and then resell them to their clients.  This is totally allowed by VV.  So, if you book thru an agent who has some MNVV certificates available, you can book now.  And if that agent has done an online sales program within a particular period, they will have some extra loot available.  If you haven't already done so, apply for the loyalty match program using your status on NCL; you'll get a nice collection of perks for your sailings in 2023.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, travellingguy said:

Pretty unlikely that the cruise will be sold out by next month however certain cabin categories might be completely booked.

• Like 1

Note--I believe that to use the MNVV, whether as a certificate for later or to rebook during the cruise, you must book a Sea Terrace or above.  That's not usually a problem as the Sea Terrace is the most common category on the ship representing 1100 of the 1400 cabins.  This number includes the limited view Sea Terrace, which is not eligible for the MNVV.   I'm sure one of the agents here will correct me if I am wrong,

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1

And with the current bar tab offer the lock it in guarantee rate works out a better deal I think then the book onboard next voyage offer. That’s assuming you are okay with not knowing the cabin assignment until 3 days before, can still try bidding once it is issued.

26 minutes ago, jon81uk said:

And with the current bar tab offer the lock it in guarantee rate works out a better deal I think then the book onboard next voyage offer. That’s assuming you are okay with not knowing the cabin assignment until 3 days before, can still try bidding once it is issued.

The problem is that we never know what the next offer will be, but there has always been one.  In at least one case, an offer ended and a new one didn't appear for about a week.  That's rare.  For our 2024 booking, the offer that came out after our onboard booking was better in than the offer we got.  Fortunately our TA was able to cancel and rebook, saving us $400 and adding the $600 bar tab! (same cabin, kept MNVV benefits).  And no one knows what's happening with the loyalty program 2024.  Supposedly the new VV program will start, but we've heard that  several times already.

2 hours ago, cantgetin said:

The problem is that we never know what the next offer will be, but there has always been one.  In at least one case, an offer ended and a new one didn't appear for about a week.  That's rare.  For our 2024 booking, the offer that came out after our onboard booking was better in than the offer we got.  Fortunately our TA was able to cancel and rebook, saving us $400 and adding the $600 bar tab! (same cabin, kept MNVV benefits).  And no one knows what's happening with the loyalty program 2024.  Supposedly the new VV program will start, but we've heard that  several times already.

But even without the bar tab offer, the lock it in rate can offer better value compared to the $300 saving and $600 loot of the book onboard offer, assuming you see happen with the conditions of lock it in. Currently for our September date where we are using lock it in it we saved at least £800 and the $300+$600 is about £700.

of course lock it in not so good if you want to definitely get an XL or central room. So we use the MNVV deposit for the transatlantic to get the XL room. 🙂

Edited by jon81uk
  • Like 1

Great deal if it works for you to get the Lock it in rate.

I just read a post on another social media site that says the 4th quarter of 2024 will be released along with the "new deals" when the current special expires on 6/30/23.  I don't know how people supposedly get this info as my agent claims to know nothing.  I'm a little afraid to see the new rates as our next two cruise have more than doubled in price from the deals that we got.  Admittedly, I shop carefully and get the best deal I can find, but all the good shopping in the world can't compensate for rates that more than double!

Edited by cantgetin

Well, as I get closer to my cruise, a few things are starting to bug me.

1. Boy, does Virgin send a ton of precruise emails. I don't think I've ever gotten this many upsell emails for a cruise before in my life. I know they are generic, but I wish they could verify things first. There really aren't any Shore Things left to book (not that I was planning to get off the ship anyways), I already have enough bar tab, and I'm already checked in.

2. Use of the band. I'm one of those people who prefer to not wear anything like this (outside of my watch). Will I look weird by keeping it in my pocket and pulling it out as necessary? I just don't find wearing those things comfortable. Last time I was at Disney, I asked for a room key/card to use versus a MagicBand. 

3. Should I be worried that I haven't made any dinner reservations yet? 

4 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Well, as I get closer to my cruise, a few things are starting to bug me.

1. Boy, does Virgin send a ton of precruise emails. I don't think I've ever gotten this many upsell emails for a cruise before in my life. I know they are generic, but I wish they could verify things first. There really aren't any Shore Things left to book (not that I was planning to get off the ship anyways), I already have enough bar tab, and I'm already checked in.

2. Use of the band. I'm one of those people who prefer to not wear anything like this (outside of my watch). Will I look weird by keeping it in my pocket and pulling it out as necessary? I just don't find wearing those things comfortable. Last time I was at Disney, I asked for a room key/card to use versus a MagicBand. 

3. Should I be worried that I haven't made any dinner reservations yet? 

you should make restaurant reservations yes, especially if you are on Scarlet Lady which is busy. There will be more slots once onboard so you can always try to move them. Walk ups can happen but now Scarlet Lady is busier it might be harder especially 7-8.30pm.

you can put the band wherever you want. But it is your door key and gets scanned for all drink orders and when getting on and off the ship so it needs to be accessible. Apparently you can ask for a card instead but I’ve never seen anyone with one. 

• Like 1

You can ask for keycard when you board, if you prefer. 

Try to book reservations before you board. Immediately after boarding, ask for the "Dinner Reservation person". They will rebook you if you want to change times, or days, or if you couldn't get your favorite restaurant . 

• Like 1

I kept my band in my pocket most of the time as I found it irritating.  Being in the pocket was no hindrance.  My cruise buddy removed it for sleep, so we made a point of keeping them in different locations so when knew which belonged to each of us.

Yes, you should book dinner in advance.  It is easier to change reservations than to start from nothing when talking to the people at restaurant entrances.  Somewhere in the 35-40% range of reservations are held back till after boarding, so if you can't get the times you want in advance, you can change it once you board.

We have only once been denied seating in 29 nights of cruising VV... and that was us trying to do a walk in for brunch at The Wake.  THey graciously offered us the next day.  Our fault, not theirs.  We have always been able to get satisfactory dinner reservations.  But do book SOMETHING for each night in advance.

Emails--yup, way too many.

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2023 at 10:51 AM, Freelancer3 said:

You can ask for keycard when you board, if you prefer. 

Try to book reservations before you board. Immediately after boarding, ask for the "Dinner Reservation person". They will rebook you if you want to change times, or days, or if you couldn't get your favorite restaurant . 

My first Virgin cruise is on Valiant Lady on 10/22 out of Barcelona.  When can I start making dining reservations?  2 weeks out?  1 month?  I usually like a 5:30pm dinner so I'm hoping that won't be any problem.  Thanks.

Edited by Surfguyxxx

31 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

My first Virgin cruise is on Valiant Lady on 10/22 out of Barcelona.  When can I start making dining reservations?  2 weeks out?  1 month?  I usually like a 5:30pm dinner so I'm hoping that won't be any problem.  Thanks.

Reservations open at midnight 45 days before your cruise.  If you download the app, each time you open it you will see the number of days remaining.  The restaurants don't open until 6:00, so your 5:30 preference will only be available at the locations that do not require reservations.  If you want a sit down, restaurant dinner, you'll have to be flexible enough to accept 6:00.

If you can't get a 6pm reservation, grab 6:15 or the closest thing available.  Then go to the restaurant and tell them that you are a little early--we've always been seated right away!

One suggestion....VV boards later than most other lines--do you have a boarding time yet?  You can do the on line check in on the app and get that now.  You might want to eat later on the first night as you will be either eating before you board or be having a late lunch (like 2:30-3) after boarding.  No lunch reservations, just go to The Galley, Pizza Place, Dock, or Social Club based on what you want to eat.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Reservations open at midnight 45 days before your cruise.  If you download the app, each time you open it you will see the number of days remaining.  The restaurants don't open until 6:00, so your 5:30 preference will only be available at the locations that do not require reservations.  If you want a sit down, restaurant dinner, you'll have to be flexible enough to accept 6:00.

If you can't get a 6pm reservation, grab 6:15 or the closest thing available.  Then go to the restaurant and tell them that you are a little early--we've always been seated right away!

One suggestion....VV boards later than most other lines--do you have a boarding time yet?  You can do the on line check in on the app and get that now.  You might want to eat later on the first night as you will be either eating before you board or be having a late lunch (like 2:30-3) after boarding.  No lunch reservations, just go to The Galley, Pizza Place, Dock, or Social Club based on what you want to eat.

Truly, this information is very much appreciated.  Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

OK, one more question. How do I show I have deep blue extras when I get to the port to go in the expedited line? Just show the agent my prepurchased items that show DBE?

"Sailing Club" is the name for their loyalty program.  Just go to that line, and you should be on their tablet list.  I put a screenshot on my phone in case they can't find me.  They will give you a ribbon bracelet which is a real pain--gets in food, gets wet tin shower, etc.  You can remove it as soon as you are on board.  Once you have that bracelet, you'll be allowed inside.

Leave it to VV to have multiple names.  Sailing Club = the loyalty program.  Sea Rover, Sea Blazer are current levels within Sailing Club.  Deep Blue Extras is the current package of perks.  But don't worry--if you tell them you have DBE, you'll get what you need,

• Like 1