Oceania Riviera Views Insights Libations Live Extravaganza

ORV

Just to finish this up. We did make it back to DFW, with luggage, BUT the airport Marriott kept us waiting for the shuttle from 2:15-3am. I was so tired by the time we finally got to the room. I'm getting too old for 24 hour plus days. We were back up by 8:30am for the 7-hour drive home. I'm back in the lovely hot Ozarks, all unpacked and finishing up laundry. Good thing I did a couple of loads on the ship. 

Other than the one tour that was a bust I have absolutely no issues with this cruise at all. Riviera is one of our favorite ships and we've probably spent more days on it than any of the others. This cruise only solidified that opinion. The food was about as good as any I've ever had on Oceania, the service was for the most part great, with a bobble here and there, but not enough to get excited about. All of the Specialty Restaurants were very good. Emma Smith was the General Manager, and she seems to have the Riviera running just fine. 

FF asked me about the CD Clelford. I agree that Martinis is not a conducive place at all for team trivia. I didn't really gel with him the way we have with a few other CD's, but I didn't find him any more abrasive than many people's favorite from Pennsylvania. 

This was the first time in a while we didn't have some kind of drink package but didn't miss it too bad. Just a reminder that the 20% gratuity can add up pretty quickly. 

I've mentioned it earlier but the weather for the UK was about perfect. Mid 70's and sunshine pretty much every day. A little rain a couple of times, but it went away. After going to Edinburgh we decided to go in a couple of days early on our cruise that starts there in Aug of 2024. 

As I think I said when I started, I'm just happy to be there, and did my best to make the best of it. Life is too short to look for problems. Any questions I'll try to answer. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, ORV said:

Just to finish this up. We did make it back to DFW, with luggage, BUT the airport Marriott kept us waiting for the shuttle from 2:15-3am. I was so tired by the time we finally got to the room. I'm getting too old for 24 hour plus days. We were back up by 8:30am for the 7-hour drive home. I'm back in the lovely hot Ozarks, all unpacked and finishing up laundry. Good thing I did a couple of loads on the ship. 

Other than the one tour that was a bust I have absolutely no issues with this cruise at all. Riviera is one of our favorite ships and we've probably spent more days on it than any of the others. This cruise only solidified that opinion. The food was about as good as any I've ever had on Oceania, the service was for the most part great, with a bobble here and there, but not enough to get excited about. All of the Specialty Restaurants were very good. Emma Smith was the General Manager, and she seems to have the Riviera running just fine. 

FF asked me about the CD Clelford. I agree that Martinis is not a conducive place at all for team trivia. I didn't really gel with him the way we have with a few other CD's, but I didn't find him any more abrasive than many people's favorite from Pennsylvania. 

This was the first time in a while we didn't have some kind of drink package but didn't miss it too bad. Just a reminder that the 20% gratuity can add up pretty quickly. 

I've mentioned it earlier but the weather for the UK was about perfect. Mid 70's and sunshine pretty much everyday. A little rain a couple of times, but it went away. After going to Edinburgh we decided to go in a couple of days early on our cruise that starts there in Aug of 2024. 

As I think I said when I started, I'm just happy to be there, and did my best to make the best of it. Life is too short to look for problems. Any questions I'll try to answer. 

Enjoyed reading your posts and that Riviera is in good shape as we board her in August. Our past two cruises have been onboard Regatta so we are looking forward to our favourites that you mentioned at Jacques - Dover sole and Choux Chantilly Cream😋.  We do a mix of O excursions and independent and curious if you had difficulty booking O shore excursions as we found many were closed/waitlisted.  O indicated that the waitlist will probably clear but have options prepared - the option in Killybegs is to take the local bus to Donegal Town - did you stop there on your tour in Killybegs and if so, any recommendations for a nice spot for lunch?

9 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

Enjoyed reading your posts and that Riviera is in good shape as we board her in August. Our past two cruises have been onboard Regatta so we are looking forward to our favourites that you mentioned at Jacques - Dover sole and Choux Chantilly Cream😋.  We do a mix of O excursions and independent and curious if you had difficulty booking O shore excursions as we found many were closed/waitlisted.  O indicated that the waitlist will probably clear but have options prepared - the option in Killybegs is to take the local bus to Donegal Town - did you stop there on your tour in Killybegs and if so, any recommendations for a nice spot for lunch?

Glad you had a wonderful trip and you are home safe and sound..Hi to Teresa and our love to both of you!!

Jancruz1

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

We had booked our excursions fairly early so didn't have a lot of issue with them, then when they cancelled Holyhead two weeks before the cruise we had to scramble for what we could get. We enjoyed our tour in Killybegs, but we didn't stop for lunch. We did have a great time at Leo's Tavern. Seems like a fun place. 

7 minutes ago, ORV said:

We had booked our excursions fairly early so didn't have a lot of issue with them, then when they cancelled Holyhead two weeks before the cruise we had to scramble for what we could get. We enjoyed our tour in Killybegs, but we didn't stop for lunch. We did have a great time at Leo's Tavern. Seems like a fun place. 

Thank you.  Did read that some times in port were also adjusted - what ports specifically as think your itinerary is similar to ours?

13 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

Thank you.  Did read that some times in port were also adjusted - what ports specifically as think your itinerary is similar to ours?

Only change we had was Oban, it lost an hour. 8am to 9am. Of course Holyhead was changed to Killybegs, but it was the same amount of time. 

9 minutes ago, ORV said:

Only change we had was Oban, it lost an hour. 8am to 9am. Of course Holyhead was changed to Killybegs, but it was the same amount of time. 

Great thank you and hope we are lucky to have the good weather that you enjoyed!

• Like 1

One thing that I didn't mention. I'm sure many world travelers know this, but I've never flown out of Dublin before back to the USA. It's one of those airports that you clear US customs before you ever board the plane. So, that speeds things up considerably if you're looking at a tight connection. Your bags are checked all the way through to your final destination without you having to touch them. We actually came into Boston at gate A19 and went out on our next flight at gate A18. It don't get any better than that. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ORV said:

One thing that I didn't mention. I'm sure many world travelers know this, but I've never flown out of Dublin before back to the USA. It's one of those airports that you clear US customs before you ever board the plane. So, that speeds things up considerably if you're looking at a tight connection. Your bags are checked all the way through to your final destination without you having to touch them. We actually came into Boston at gate A19 and went out on our next flight at gate A18. It don't get any better than that. 

You can thank Ted Kennedy for that Preclearance convenience,  I believe. It created some US jobs in Ireland.  It started in Shannon only,  if I recall correctly,  and later expanded to Dublin. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for sharing your vacation!! 

We are going on our first Oceania cruise 7/19 on Riviera! Even more excited after reading your review!

I got so excited when I read that you will be on Nautica 8/24 and was hoping we could meet!...I don't know if I'm looking at the dates all wrong...your signature says August 8, Edinburgh to Boston but we have booked Nautica Dublin to Edinburgh Aug 14-24...

I think that sadly means that we will not meet...unless I have my dates horribly wrong!

Chris

12 hours ago, stonepebble said:

Thank you so much for sharing your vacation!! 

We are going on our first Oceania cruise 7/19 on Riviera! Even more excited after reading your review!

I got so excited when I read that you will be on Nautica 8/24 and was hoping we could meet!...I don't know if I'm looking at the dates all wrong...your signature says August 8, Edinburgh to Boston but we have booked Nautica Dublin to Edinburgh Aug 14-24...

I think that sadly means that we will not meet...unless I have my dates horribly wrong!

Chris

Thank you pointing that out. That was a typo, I've fixed it now. I guess I was going to be on a special cruise. I'm the one that had the dates horribly wrong. LOL. We get on Nautica on the 24th, which oddly enough is my 20th year anniversary of joining Cruise Critic. You'll be getting off as we get on. Enjoy your July cruise on Riviera. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

We get on Nautica on the 24th, which oddly enough is my 20th year anniversary of joining Cruise Critic. You'll be getting off as we get on. Enjoy your July cruise on Riviera. 

Inform Special Guest services.  They will probably make you some special cookies.  😁

9 hours ago, ORV said:

Thank you pointing that out. That was a typo, I've fixed it now. I guess I was going to be on a special cruise. I'm the one that had the dates horribly wrong. LOL. We get on Nautica on the 24th, which oddly enough is my 20th year anniversary of joining Cruise Critic. You'll be getting off as we get on. Enjoy your July cruise on Riviera. 

Make it an extra special cruise and add on the 14-24th cruise!  It's a great sailing!! haha!

Chris

On 6/24/2023 at 4:37 PM, ORV said:

Could you explain this comment for a newbie? Was this 20% mandatory on drinks without a package or do they charge a mandatory gratuity when you use a package (as you order)?

Really enjoyed reading your posts. Looking forward to the Riviera in October!

18 minutes ago, MnDAL said:

Could you explain this comment for a newbie? Was this 20% mandatory on drinks without a package or do they charge a mandatory gratuity when you use a package (as you order)?

When you have a package there is no gratuity added to your drinks. I don't think that applies to a bottle of wine or a La Reserve dinner. You still pay gratuity on those. But if don't have a package and you are buying by the drink there is a gratuity added. For example, a $12 drink has $2.40 added to it making it $14.40. A couple of those in the afternoon adds $4.80 and if there is two of you it's $9.60. That can add up pretty quickly. 

Edited by ORV
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MnDAL said:

Always like to see others from Dallas on the same ship. Too bad it's a different month! We're on in November.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

ORV hope you don't mind asking if you visited the port of Dundee in Scotland? Would like to know if there was a complimentary shuttle to town?  Many thanks.

That was not one of our ports. 

• Thanks 1