MSC in Japan - thoughts?

cruiseguyinorl

I have some American friends strongly considering taking the Japan sailing in August. Has anyone ever taken an MSC cruise in Asia and if so, thoughts on Americans onboard? I don't imagine it's quite the same experience as Americans on Europe sailings. Any input would be helpful.

We did repositioning in 2019 Splendida from Dubai to Tokyo, the crew was usual mix of nations. However they changed up considerably at the first Japanese port to prepare for the Japan season, bringing on new crew explaining procedures etc I would guess if its a round trip Japan cruise Americans and other nationalities would be in the minority.

We have done a 3 night repositioning from Shanghai to Tokyo in 2018. 

There were very few Americans or Europeans on board, which was reflected in the atmosphere on board.  The shows and musicians were the same as you typically find on MSC, but in the evening we found the majority of people are more likely to be drinking green tea and retiring early than drinking cocktails and partying all night.   The food was a combination of MSC classics and Asian dishes.  

I am considering some of MSC Belissima's 2024 Taiwan and Japan itineraries as part of a larger trip to Asia.  

• Like 2

I am thinking of doing an Asian cruise in the summer of 2024. Waiting for MSC to release itineraries.

Would like to hear from those cruising this summer what the experience is like and in particular the excursions and must do's for each port.

On 6/13/2023 at 4:12 AM, cruiseguyinorl said:

I don't imagine it's quite the same experience as Americans on Europe sailings. Any input would be helpful.

Also in Japan MSC has the selling point "Holiday in Italy on sea", so the differences are limited. Certainly more Asian dishes on the menu and in the buffet, but don´t hope for sushi. 

I haven't done MSC in Asia, but I did do an 8-night RCCL from Shanghai to Kobe, Osaka, Tokyo overnight (Yokohama), and Kyoto.  We stayed 3-nights pre-cruise in Shanghai and really enjoyed the heck out of it.

Let me know if you have any questions that are destination-related.