Purchasing Individual Restaurant Discounts

My husband and I will eat in two specialty restaurants our next cruise. We are not eating in Chops. So, not the Chops plus one situation. If we purchase the individual discounts-online,prior to the cruise, are we obligated to wait until we board to make reservations? Do the individual discounts require redemption only on specified nights? I was reading comments indicating packages obligate a specialty restaurant the first night.  Other comments on discounts seem to indicate Royal is serving "tasting menu" style meals with the discounts. The discounted meals are of lesser quality and/or smaller portion sizes. Anyone experience this?

Edited by ALTravelGal
posted before finished

When booking restaurants individually, you choose day/time immediately.  You do not wait til boarding to do so.  AFAIK, the menu is the same as usual, no difference from booking a package, booking individually or booking on board.  The menu is the menu.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ALTravelGal said:

My husband and I will eat in two specialty restaurants our next cruise. We are not eating in Chops. So, not the Chops plus one situation. If we purchase the individual discounts-online,prior to the cruise, are we obligated to wait until we board to make reservations? Do the individual discounts require redemption only on specified nights? I was reading comments indicating packages obligate a specialty restaurant the first night.  Other comments on discounts seem to indicate Royal is serving "tasting menu" style meals with the discounts. The discounted meals are of lesser quality and/or smaller portion sizes. Anyone experience this?

Izumi sushi if with a package gets 4 not 8 sushi as when purchased ala carte. No other meals are changed. The fixed meal izumi is still plenty imo. 

D+ bogo has to be booked and paid for night 1 or 2. If you arent D+ it doesnt affect you.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Izumi sushi if with a package gets 4 not 8 sushi as when purchased ala carte. No other meals are changed. The fixed meal izumi is still plenty imo. 

D+ bogo has to be booked and paid for night 1 or 2. If you arent D+ it doesnt affect you.

Can non D+ guests do any bogo?  We're traveling with 2 couples who are D. We're D+.  Anyway they can get a bogo?  I seem to remember the restaurants trying to sell something on boarding but since we're D+ I don’t pay much and book 1st day for a future day without thinking much about other offers.

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

Can non D+ guests do any bogo?  We're traveling with 2 couples who are D. We're D+.  Anyway they can get a bogo?  I seem to remember the restaurants trying to sell something on boarding but since we're D+ I don’t pay much and book 1st day for a future day without thinking much about other offers.

I've never seen any bogo deals lately onboard. When cruising first resumed they would go around and offer deals ... not lately with full ships.  Now those with UDP can barely find good time slots. 

I dont expect to see many deals if cruise continue so full.

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've never seen any bogo deals lately onboard. When cruising first resumed they would go around and offer deals ... not lately with full ships.  Now those with UDP can barely find good time slots. 

I dont expect to see many deals if cruise continue so full.

Thanks. 

17 hours ago, ALTravelGal said:

Buying a three night package will be about the same price as purchasing 2 full price nights.