Multiple devices on Internet

TGCRUISEO

2 hours ago, TGCRUISEO said:

With the Surf package are you able to have multiple devices logged onto the internet like a iPad and a computer or phone?

You can purchase a minimum of three additional devices for $10.day ($3.33 per device equivalent) that will allow you to connect four devices at the same time.  This price was effective in 2022 but might be a bit higher now.

• Thanks 1

You can also connect one device to the ship's Wi-Fi then turn on that device's mobile hotspot to share it with other devices in your cabin (or immediate area). I have done that with both a Windows laptop and Android phones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2023 at 7:11 AM, TGCRUISEO said:

With the Surf package are you able to have multiple devices logged onto the internet like a iPad and a computer or phone?

As many devices as you want, but one at a time unless you purchase the enhancement given by @Crew News. This doesn't change if you upgrade to Premium -- only the number and kind of sites that are blocked is lower.

9 hours ago, IPB4IGO said:

You can also connect one device to the ship's Wi-Fi then turn on that device's mobile hotspot to share it with other devices in your cabin (or immediate area). I have done that with both a Windows laptop and Android phones.

My Android phone requires me to get out of airplane mode to become a hotspot. I've been advised to keep that cell function off while at sea, or risk some unintended expensive connection. How do you get around that?

4 hours ago, ROUS said:

My Android phone requires me to get out of airplane mode to become a hotspot. I've been advised to keep that cell function off while at sea, or risk some unintended expensive connection. How do you get around that?

The actual steps do depend on your brand of phone.  But, you must go into Settings and make sure that your WiFi is turned on and your Cellular Data is turned off.  In basic terms, you do not want your phone to be able to connect to the ship's cell system (often connected to Cellular at Sea).  If you are really concerned and do not have the tech skills to understand your phone, you might want to pay a visit to your own cell phone provider's stores and ask them to show you how to do this through your phone settings.

The problem with just turning on "airplane mode" is that with many phones this will also turn off your WiFi...which much than be manually turned back on.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

The problem with just turning on "airplane mode" is that with many phones this will also turn off your WiFi...which much than be manually turned back on.

Thanks, Hank.  I do understand that process.  But, with my phone (Samsung S8), enabling airplane mode (with wifi on or off) prevents hotspot mode.  And, that's a bummer.  I've not yet found a way around this.  Maybe I need to upgrade my phone.  😉

Edited by ROUS

1 hour ago, ROUS said:

Thanks, Hank.  I do understand that process.  But, with my phone (Samsung S8), enabling airplane mode (with wifi on or off) prevents hotspot mode.  And, that's a bummer.  I've not yet found a way around this.  Maybe I need to upgrade my phone.  😉

This issue is above my pay grade :(.  My understanding is that many cell phones use Cellular Data (mode) as part of their hotspot mode since hotspot mode is not a pure WiFi function.  So, with Cellular Data off, hotspot does not function.  Why?  Darned if I know.  But if you turn on Cellular Data you do run the risk that your phone may use Cellular at Sea (or other services) in the background and get you a big bill.  It is no different on my iPhone, where just turning off Cellular Data does automatically inactivate the Hotspot function.

For us, it is no biggie since we are as old as dirt and actually remember cruising before there was any Internet (folks would head for pay phones at each port).  We are perfectly fine with a single device (at least at one time) on a ship so we can d/l our e-mails on a daily basis.  In fact, DW and I used to turn off our phones and lock them in the cabin safe as soon as we had access to our cabin :).  But these days, even we carry our phones (on cruises) since the onboard apps have become a necessity on many lines.  Consider that on our most recent HAL cruise, we were overcharged (primarily for drinks) 11 or 12 times...would spot this by pulling up our account on the app, and quickly resolve the issue by sending a message to Guest Relations using the app :).  Other friends would cool their heels waiting in line at Guest Relations (sometimes on a daily basis) to get them to correct overcharges.  So, at least on HAL, we found the most valuable function of a phone was as an alternative to long Guest Relations queues.

Hank

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ROUS said:

On the Android phones that I have owned, I turn on Airplane Mode, then turn Wi-Fi back on. Then connect with the ship's Wi-Fi network. Then I turn on the mobile hotspot. That leaves the cellular connection disabled, so there is no possibility of an unintentional connection with Cellular At Sea or other expensive connectons.

I wonder whether you are skipping the step "connect with the ship's Wi-Fi network".  Your mobile hotspot won't work if you don't have network connection, either through Wi-Fi or your cellular provider.

Hope that helps.

Edited by IPB4IGO
Left out a step

13 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

I wonder whether you are skipping the step "connect with the ship's Wi-Fi network".  Your mobile hotspot won't work if you don't have network connection, either through Wi-Fi or your cellular provider.

It's some OS thing and I get that message instantaneously when I hit the hotspot icon. Same thing last four cruises. My Android version just really needs that cell functionality running. Beats me. 

12 minutes ago, ROUS said:

It's some OS thing and I get that message instantaneously when I hit the hotspot icon. Same thing last four cruises. My Android version just really needs that cell functionality running. Beats me. 

Just to be clear, you are turning on Wi-Fi and connecting to the Ship's Wi-Fi (while in airplane mode) before you try to turn on your mobile hotspot?

5 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

Just to be clear, you are turning on Wi-Fi and connecting to the Ship's Wi-Fi (while in airplane mode) before you try to turn on your mobile hotspot?

Just tried it, your way, on an iPhone and it cannot work,  Don't know about the Android, but on an iPhone the hotspot will not function (totally grayed out) unless Cellular Data is turned on.

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IPB4IGO said:

Correct. Wifi connectivity while in airplane mode is never an issue. OS just denies the hotspot function to me.  Each time I've had to buy the multiple-device option. 

Edited by ROUS

11 minutes ago, ROUS said:

Correct. Wifi connectivity while in airplane mode is never an issue. OS just denies the hotspot function to me.  Each time I've had to buy the multiple-device option. 

Thanks for the information. I have learned something new. 

I guess all I can offer is that ever-so-helpful response, "Works on my machine"! 

• Like 1