Anybody use Port Valet Recently? Work Okay?

jackinelgin

32 minutes ago, jackinelgin said:

Registered online for it when we disembark on 7/2 in Seattle.. Just wondered if  it all worked okay. TIA

Your thread has been moved to the forum where Port Valet has been discussed before. Hope this helps!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

22 hours ago, jackinelgin said:

Registered online for it when we disembark on 7/2 in Seattle.. Just wondered if  it all worked okay. TIA

We were going to use it for our cruise a few weeks ago (got the tags the night before and everything) but ended up taking our own luggage off. My parents used it for their cruise last October and everything went smoothly (SW airlines).

Just a word of caution though--try to cancel ahead of time if you know you are not going to use it (if your airline charges for bags). Princess still charged us the $30 for Delta's bag fee even though we didn't use the service and we are still waiting for a refund after numerous calls.

On 6/15/2023 at 1:23 PM, jackinelgin said:

We just used the Port Valet for 3 bags today and all 3 showed up at our final destination. I have to admit I was nervous about the whole process, but luckily it worked out fine for us. YMMV.

On 6/16/2023 at 11:50 AM, SuzieQ521 said:

Just a word of caution though--try to cancel ahead of time if you know you are not going to use it (if your airline charges for bags). Princess still charged us the $30 for Delta's bag fee even though we didn't use the service and we are still waiting for a refund after numerous calls.

We are planning on using it when we do our Quantum cruise in August.  We are flying on Alaska Airlines--who, normally, charge for luggage with an economy fare...HOWEVER, since I'm and AAdvantage Million Mile Gold member, Alaska gives me two checked suitcases free of charge.  Will there be a problem with this since they otherwise charge?  Or are we okay?  IOW, does the system account for the loyalty program perk?  Thanks.

On 6/17/2023 at 9:48 PM, Bruin Steve said:

We are planning on using it when we do our Quantum cruise in August.  We are flying on Alaska Airlines--who, normally, charge for luggage with an economy fare...HOWEVER, since I'm and AAdvantage Million Mile Gold member, Alaska gives me two checked suitcases free of charge.  Will there be a problem with this since they otherwise charge?  Or are we okay?  IOW, does the system account for the loyalty program perk?  Thanks.

I would definitely contact Port Valet ahead of time and let them know this.

The problem is that when you sign up and there's an airline bag charge, the charge will post the night before disembarkation on your onboard account. We tried to get it off that night but were told that the person in charge wasn't available; and now a month later, we are still trying to dispute this with Princess since we did not end up using the service.

I used it several weeks ago and it was awesome! My bags were back home before I was.

Also, there is a line where you can tell them where you are eligible for a waiver of bag fees.

7 hours ago, CynCyn said:

Also, there is a line where you can tell them where you are eligible for a waiver of bag fees.

Though still two months out, I just registered via the website.  And, yes, there was a check box to indicate any baggage fee exemption followed by a box in which to type in the reason for the exemption.  I clicked the box and then typed in my info regarding my AAdvantage Million Mile Gold status which gives me two free checked bags on Alaska Airlines.  I assume that someone has to personally read those explanations typed in with the checked boxes and then follow up to make sure fees aren't charged.  I'm hoping that all goes smoothly.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Though still two months out, I just registered via the website.  And, yes, there was a check box to indicate any baggage fee exemption followed by a box in which to type in the reason for the exemption.  I clicked the box and then typed in my info regarding my AAdvantage Million Mile Gold status which gives me two free checked bags on Alaska Airlines.  I assume that someone has to personally read those explanations typed in with the checked boxes and then follow up to make sure fees aren't charged.  I'm hoping that all goes smoothly.

Yes we did that also with Delta and they never charged us since we get free bags with our Sky Miles. I will go very smoothly.

We use it every year when we do our Alaska cruise. We always sign up on the cruise ship and pay our airline baggage fees at that time. The cruise ship prints out our valet luggage tags and our boarding passes. We put our luggage out of our cabin on the last cruise night and don’t see it until we arrive home the next evening. Although I believe your flight must be after 12 noon and before midnight. We have never had any problems. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have always signed up for it on the ship. Usually the 2 nd or 3rd cruise day. The cruise ship then processes you airline baggage fees for you. They will give you special tags to put on your luggage the last night. Your luggage will be taken to the airport and you’ll pick it up after your flight at your final destination. We always had to book a flight between noon and midnight on disembarkation day though. It always worked great. Also there were no luggage weight restrictions, which was really nice. 

• Like 1

We used the Port Valet out of Seattle June 25.     Had no issue with our prebooked seats, all 7 passengers.  Our issue is baggage fees.   SIL is active duty military and eligible for free bags on Alaska, plus all tickets were paid for on my Alaska credit card.   This was noted on the request to utilize Port Valet.   We were ultimately charged $280 for bags.   Princess indicated onboard to contact their vendor as it was their decision to charge.   Contacted Seattle Customer Care, not their problem, provided an email address of another party, not their problem contact Bags Inc out of Florida, the actual service provider. All in all this all took place via email with a resolution by Bags Inc to refund our funds.   Everything was resolved within a couple of hours.   Very responsive to emails.  Waiting on the reimbursement check.

Two bags did not make it on to the plane and subsequently delivered at 4:00am 2 days later.  
I would definitely use the service again.  Makes disembarkation a breeze.

On 7/12/2023 at 2:21 PM, kiwimum said:

We used the Port Valet out of Seattle June 25.     Had no issue with our prebooked seats, all 7 passengers.  Our issue is baggage fees.   SIL is active duty military and eligible for free bags on Alaska, plus all tickets were paid for on my Alaska credit card.   This was noted on the request to utilize Port Valet.   We were ultimately charged $280 for bags.   Princess indicated onboard to contact their vendor as it was their decision to charge.   Contacted Seattle Customer Care, not their problem, provided an email address of another party, not their problem contact Bags Inc out of Florida, the actual service provider. All in all this all took place via email with a resolution by Bags Inc to refund our funds.   Everything was resolved within a couple of hours.   Very responsive to emails.  Waiting on the reimbursement check.

Two bags did not make it on to the plane and subsequently delivered at 4:00am 2 days later.  

Received refund of bag fees via check today.   Filed for refund 6/27.   Happy camper.

On 7/12/2023 at 5:21 PM, kiwimum said:

Used it on 7/7 and it was perfect. A great service.

We used this service pre covid on Carnival and it worked flawlessly. When we sailed to Alaska in August of 2022, the Carnival people said they didnt have Port Valet anymore. If this is a port service, wouldnt it be offered to any and every cruise ship at that port?

• 2 months later...