Seward Train Depot to Cruise Terminal

cmmaxwell03

In September, we are traveling from Anchorage via the Alaska Railroad to Seward.  According to Google Maps, it is an 11 minute walk from the train depot to the cruise terminal.  However, if it's raining too heavily I am not sure we would want to walk and get our luggage wet.  Are there any other options other than a taxi or walking?

You will check your luggage in Anchorage and the next time you will see it will be in your stateroom.  The most you will have to schlep to the cruise terminal is your carryon.  Having said that, there are usually shuttles running back and forth from the depot to the cruise terminal.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, quack2 said:

You will check your luggage in Anchorage and the next time you will see it will be in your stateroom.  The most you will have to schlep to the cruise terminal is your carryon.  Having said that, there are usually shuttles running back and forth from the depot to the cruise terminal.

We did not book this ride through the cruise line so I think we have to check our  luggage with the train and pick it up at the depot in Seward. But I am happy to hear they have shuttles.

Edited by cmmaxwell03

I don't think it matters.  I've taken the 6:45 a.m. train several times to Seward and never booked through the cruise line.  Every time I've checked my bag at the Anchorage Depot and it magically appeared in my stateroom.  I don't think checking big bags is optional.

Incidentally, bags are trucked to Seward and don't ride on the train with you.

Edited by quack2
  • Thanks 1

I see that your question isn't so much about checking bags or not, but rather where to pick them up in Seward.  I would absolutely confirm this in Anchorage, but if you are on a ship leaving the same day, they will take your bags to the ship.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, quack2 said:

I see that your question isn't so much about checking bags or not, but rather where to pick them up in Seward.  I would absolutely confirm this in Anchorage, but if you are on a ship leaving the same day, they will take your bags to the ship.

No worries there.  I'll be asking so many questions they will wonder if we are playing 20 Questions.   Our ship is the Viking Orion.  It will be in port the day we embark and the day after.  

9 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

In September, we are traveling from Anchorage via the Alaska Railroad to Seward. According to Google Maps, it is an 11 minute walk from the train depot to the cruise terminal. However, if it's raining too heavily I am not sure we would want to walk and get our luggage wet. Are there any other options other than a taxi or walking?

Walking and taxi are the only practicable options.

There is a local bus service, operating without charge, but it operates in a loop fashion, stopping at the cruise terminal immediately before the railroad station. That means that you would have to ride the nearly the entire loop--about half an hour travel time--to get from the railroad station back to the cruise terminal. Nor is the equipment used for this bus service the typical transit bus but rather a smaller cutaway type vehicle (i.e., cheap body on chassis) with limited room for baggage. Additionally, with the service operating every 30 minutes, and without a specific timetable, you could be standing outside in the rain for up to 30 minutes, getting more wet compared to the option of just walking. You will find the local bus service information here: http://www.sewardcitytours.com/free-shuttle.

All the above being said, most luggage is designed to withstand ordinary rain. An 11-minute walk (which is a very reasonable estimate of the time required) should not cause the contents of your luggage to get wet in all but the most severe storms. If that is not the case, you might want to reconsider the luggage that you have.

As to the railroad's baggage service, the Alaska Railroad does regularly operate a baggage car on the Coastal Classic, and you can check baggage on the train from Anchorage to Seward. Many of the larger cruise lines will operate a parallel trucking service, for which railroad passengers in Anchorage may deposit their baggage with the cruise line, for it to be transported by truck direct to the cruise terminal, and then moved by the cruise line from the truck to the passengers' staterooms. However, Viking Ocean Cruises is many respects distinct from the other cruise lines (most notably it operates on a 20-night cycle instead of the typical 14-night cycle). While the service offered by Viking Ocean Cruises is generally perceived as superior to most of the other cruise lines, unlike those other cruise lines it does not contract with the railroad for additional charter train service to Seward. Notwithstanding some other comments here about using parallel trucking service, I would not rely upon such service being available from Viking Ocean Cruises absent a specific commitment from this particular line of it being available.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

We did not book this ride through the cruise line

Currently trying to get an amount the train/bus/whatever will cost to get from Seward back to Anchorage for flight???  Could you tell me what you paid per person for the ride?  Thanks.  Both our Alaska cruises were round trip from Vancouver which we prefer, lot less complicated...but the $299 pp cruise fare for RCCL next summer is so tempting for the North/South bound cruises.

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Currently trying to get an amount the train/bus/whatever will cost to get from Seward back to Anchorage for flight???  Could you tell me what you paid per person for the ride?  Thanks.  Both our Alaska cruises were round trip from Vancouver which we prefer, lot less complicated...but the $299 pp cruise fare for RCCL next summer is so tempting for the North/South bound cruises.

https://www.alaskacoach.com/cruise-transfers/ - This is through The Park Connection serving Anchorage, Denali, Talkeetna, Whittier and Seward.  On cruise days there was two shuttles per day.  Call them to make sure.  I don't trust anything after covid.  Jobs are hard to fill here.  

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

This is the website: https://www.alaskarailroad.com

You will want the Coastal Classic from Seward to Anchorage.  It leaves at 6pm and arrives in Anchorage around 10:15pm.  I think it's around $120 per person.  Sounds pricey, if you watch some Youtube videos from people who have taken the train, it is almost as though you are on another excursion.  The views of the landscape and animals are worth it.

image.thumb.png.efa0fcafc8ae4cfa0894b739bfd0f3eb.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Currently trying to get an amount the train/bus/whatever will cost to get from Seward back to Anchorage for flight??? Could you tell me what you paid per person for the ride?

The Alaska Railroad operates two trains from Seward on Fridays (the day on which Royal Caribbean International vessels arrive and depart).

The morning train is one that is chartered by Royal Caribbean Cruises for its guests exclusively, and tickets are purchased from the cruise line itself. Fares are set by the cruise line, but are believed to be similar to those charged by the Alaska Railroad (there is only coach on this train, no first class). This train goes directly to the Anchorage airport exclusively. Train departs Seward at 6:50 a.m. and arrives at the Anchorage airport 4-1/2 hours later.

The afternoon train is one that is one that is operated and promoted by the railroad, and tickets are purchased from the railroad itself. Fares are $119 coach, $243 first class. This train goes directly to downtown Anchorage exclusively. Train departs Seward at 6:00 p.m. and arrives downtown Anchorage 4-1/4 hours later. http://www.alaskarailroad.com

Five bus services are provided by two companies from Seward on Fridays; all are operated direct from Seward to the Anchorage airport.

Alaska Cruise Transportation has a morning departure, at 8:00 a.m., and an afternoon departure at 2:30 p.m. Travel time is 2-1/2 hours. Fare is $69. http://alaskacruisetransfer.com

Park Connection has morning departure at 9:45 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., and an afternoon departure at 6:30 p.m. Travel time is 3-1/4 hours (longer than its competitor because it first stops in downtown Anchorage before returning to the airport). Fare is $75. http://www.alaskacoach.com

• Thanks 2

We have booked this train on Wednesday from anchorage to Seward as we board Regent Seven Seas Explorer on wed. Regent did not offer this train as a bookable option. Has anyone sailed with regent this year and can confirm your luggage was transferred to the ship for you?