New York City Stay before cruise - how does this sound?

parentsof5

We will be in NYC in August around our Princess cruise. We plan to arrive around 1:30 pm on a Tuesday and head to our hotel, Cambria on W 28th in Chelsea. That night we will take the subway to Yankee Stadium. It is my understanding the subway is a few blocks away. 

The next morning we have 10:00 am tickets to the Statue of Liberty (to access the Island and the crown) and Ellis Island. We plan to take the subway. While in the area, visit the 911 Memorial (not the museum). I would like to do a Broadway show this day, will it be possible to do a matinee? We will also probably do Top of the Rock and maybe Empire State Building that day. 

Thursday we are still contemplating. Coney Island is a draw for our 7 yo grandson to enjoy. I think it would be fun, too, however, using a couple of hours for travel alone in a short stay may not be the best use of time and will keep for another time.  I lean more toward fitting in some other places we are interested in, Central Park, Lego Land (I mentioned the grand who will be with us...), FAO Schwartz, HP Store (so a little shopping). If I could sneak into MoMA for a couple of hours, I would love that, but may not work with the husband and Grand. We will need to stop by The Plaza for our Grand and his obsession with Kevin and Home Alone. Really, this day would be very fluid and hitting a few things and anything in the area near where we are, Central Park is probably the key for the day. 

Friday morning we have a flight 6:30 AM flight at LGA. I am thinking car service (Dial 7 or Carmel). I am sure they will be able to help pick up time, but would appreciate your thoughts on what time we will need. The grand and I will have TSA Pre-check, but my husband does not. 

Any thoughts and tips appreciated. Subway navigation for our trip to Yankee Stadium and Statue of Liberty (NY Side) Ferry very welcome. We are from the mid-west and do not use public transit so this will be an adventure. 🙂 I have read Google Maps can be our friend. 

Your hotel is on West 28th Street, between Sixth and Seventh Avenues. Best to buy a MetroCard for getting around the city. A single card can be shared.

To travel to Yankee Stadium, walk uptown to West 34th Street and Sixth Avenue (Herald Square) and travel on the uptown "D" train to 161st Street-Yankee Stadium.

For Statue of Liberty, walk to West 28th Street and Seventh Avenue and travel on the downtown "1" train to South Ferry; or alternatively from the same intersection travel above ground on the M20 bus to South Ferry. You can see a matinee on Broadway on Wednesdays, but given the 2:00 p.m. starting time, you would be hard-pressed to make it to the Statue of Liberty and back in time to see a show the same day.

Coney Island is by itself, and while there may be some other sights in Brooklyn, it will require some time to get there. If you do decide to visit, then walk uptown to West 34th Street and Sixth Avenue (Herald Square) and travel on the downtown "D," "F," "N," or "Q" train to Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue. I understand that Legoland is an amusement park upstate in Goshen, New York, a good sized journey for the day. Perhaps you're referring to something else? There are many stops along the tourist circuit in midtown Manhattan, so that would be an efficient use of time.

If you're comfortable using the subway for your departure from LaGuardia Airport, then walk uptown to West 34th Street and Sixth Avenue (Herald Square) and travel on the uptown "F" train to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue. At that station is a free express bus, route Q70, that will shuttle you to the airport.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GTJ said:

I understand that Legoland is an amusement park upstate in Goshen, New York, a good sized journey for the day. Perhaps you're referring to something else? 

If you're comfortable using the subway for your departure from LaGuardia Airport, then walk uptown to West 34th Street and Sixth Avenue (Herald Square) and travel on the uptown "F" train to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue. At that station is a free express bus, route Q70, that will shuttle you to the airport.

Thank your for the subway directions!!

Lego Store would be a better word. I mis-spoke.

I am not too sure about taking the subway and a bus at 4 or earlier in the morning that day. If it was later in the morning I might be up for it depending on how much luggage we end up toting. 

Wow! That is an ambitious plan. Most of it can work. 

I don’t think you have enough time to get from your Statue of Liberty and 9/11 Memorial excursion to Broadway theaters by 2:00 pm. The time of Wed Matinees. 

The Lego Store is in Rockefeller Center near FAO Schwartz. Top of the Rock is also in Rockefeller Center. If you guys like to walk, you can easily walk from there to the Plaza. The Plaza is across the street from Central Park. 

The only reason I’d go to Coney Island was if you are all have riding the Cyclone roller coaster on your must do list. The rest of Coney Island is more like a carnival back home. Maybe save it for next time. The subway ride is very long going there and back. 

MoMa is walkable from the Plaza also. Maybe hubby and Grand can go to Central Park, you MoMa. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

The only reason I’d go to Coney Island was if you are all have riding the Cyclone roller coaster on your must do list. The rest of Coney Island is more like a carnival back home. Maybe save it for next time. The subway ride is very long going there and back.

I would say that Coney Island is an "it depends" type of visit. If the sole reason for visiting were the amusement rides, then I would agree that most of the rides are on the level of a carnival anywhere. The exceptions are the Cyclone and Deno's Wonder Wheel. The Cyclone roller coaster is a classic, though these days there are more thrilling rides elsewhere (though maybe not so many that remain made in such a traditional way). The Wonder Wheel is also a distinct type of Ferris wheel with movable cars. But as a whole, going to Coney Island strictly for being thrilled by amusement rides is likely to be a disappointment.

Coney Island is more than amusement rides, particularly for those who are appreciative of urban history and development in New York City. This is a small minority of New Yorkers, and probably an even smaller proportion of visitors (most of whom do not know or understand New York City), who would share this appreciation for Coney Island. For those who do have this interest, Coney Island is a great place; but for others a great disappointment. Among these sights are the parachute ride, relocated to Coney Island from Flushing following the 1939-40 world's fair. The beach and boardwalk, both of which inspired Robert Moses to develop Jones Beach as a commercial-free contrast to the debauchery of Coney Island. The beach and ocean breezes were such an attraction to earlier New Yorkers, especially on sultry summer days, that it resulted in the building of six railroads (1862-78) and the Ocean Parkway (1876), all connecting the city with Coney Island; four of those railroads continue in operation today as subway lines, and the parkway remains a vital avenue. These railroads and parkway are exciting to any transport enthusiast. The development of Trump Village--by Fred Trump, the father of our 45th president--completely changed the character and physical layout of much of Coney Island. Adjacent Brighton Beach is sometimes known as "Little Odessa" on account of it being world’s largest concentrations of immigrants from the former Soviet Union. Other sights and points of interest in Coney Island include the New York Aquarium; Maimonides Park, home of the New York Cyclones minor league baseball; Nathan's hot dogs; Coney Island Museum (a cheap tourist trap at only $5 to visit); and some of the best pizza in New York at Totonno's Pizzeria Napolitana. In sum, there is a lot going on and to see in Coney Island, but only if you know where to look and can appreciate Coney Island for what it is. Just don't expect it to a well-cultivated tourist attraction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Wow! That is an ambitious plan. Most of it can work. 

I don’t think you have enough time to get from your Statue of Liberty and 9/11 Memorial excursion to Broadway theaters by 2:00 pm. The time of Wed Matinees. 

The Lego Store is in Rockefeller Center near FAO Schwartz. Top of the Rock is also in Rockefeller Center. If you guys like to walk, you can easily walk from there to the Plaza. The Plaza is across the street from Central Park. 

MoMa is walkable from the Plaza also. Maybe hubby and Grand can go to Central Park, you MoMa. 

Thanks for confirming what I really new about the Matinee. I just hoped I was wrong. 😉  And also for laying out Lego/FAO/TOR/Plaza/Central Park/MoMa. I had some of the connection, but not that all of them were "close", that is super helpful.

5 minutes ago, GTJ said:

I would say that Coney Island is an "it depends" type of visit. If the sole reason for visiting were the amusement rides, then I would agree that most of the rides are on the level of a carnival anywhere. The exceptions are the Cyclone and Deno's Wonder Wheel. The Cyclone roller coaster is a classic, though these days there are more thrilling rides elsewhere (though maybe not so many that remain made in such a traditional way). The Wonder Wheel is also a distinct type of Ferris wheel with movable cars. But as a whole, going to Coney Island strictly for being thrilled by amusement rides is likely to be a disappointment.

Coney Island is more than amusement rides, particularly for those who are appreciative of urban history and development in New York City. This is a small minority of New Yorkers, and probably an even smaller proportion of visitors (most of whom do not know or understand New York City), who would share this appreciation for Coney Island. For those who do have this interest, Coney Island is a great place; but for others a great disappointment. Among these sights are the parachute ride, relocated to Coney Island from Flushing following the 1939-40 world's fair. The beach and boardwalk, both of which inspired Robert Moses to develop Jones Beach as a commercial-free contrast to the debauchery of Coney Island. The beach and ocean breezes were such an attraction to earlier New Yorkers, especially on sultry summer days, that it resulted in the building of six railroads (1862-78) and the Ocean Parkway (1876), all connecting the city with Coney Island; four of those railroads continue in operation today as subway lines, and the parkway remains a vital avenue. These railroads and parkway are exciting to any transport enthusiast. The development of Trump Village--by Fred Trump, the father of our 45th president--completely changed the character and physical layout of much of Coney Island. Adjacent Brighton Beach is sometimes known as "Little Odessa" on account of it being world’s largest concentrations of immigrants from the former Soviet Union. Other sights and points of interest in Coney Island include the New York Aquarium; Maimonides Park, home of the New York Cyclones minor league baseball; Nathan's hot dogs; Coney Island Museum (a cheap tourist trap at only $5 to visit); and some of the best pizza in New York at Totonno's Pizzeria Napolitana. In sum, there is a lot going on and to see in Coney Island, but only if you know where to look and can appreciate Coney Island for what it is. Just don't expect it to a well-cultivated tourist attraction.

For my husband and myself, we would like to visit some time for just about everything you mentioned. It is much more about the history and atmosphere of being there. Our grand would not appreciate that though, and the rides would be fun for him (he has never been to the large parks), but I think we will save it for another time. Thanks for all of the history - I am saving this info!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, parentsof5 said:

I am not too sure about taking the subway and a bus at 4 or earlier in the morning that day. If it was later in the morning I might be up for it depending on how much luggage we end up toting. 

Regardless of how you will travel, you would want to plan your travel. At that hour the subway trains are operating every 20 minutes, while the shuttle bus to the airport is operating every 10 minutes. (To arrive at the airport at 5:30 a.m., you would have to get the subway train at 4:48 a.m., the trip taking just under 45 minutes.) By car, allow about 30 minutes for the trip.

You will have to get on the security line for the SOL ferry, it can take more than an hour. I don’t see you having time for Broadway. Central Park is great and they have a cute zoo. I’d get car service no later than 4 am.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

You will have to get on the security line for the SOL ferry, it can take more than an hour. I don’t see you having time for Broadway. Central Park is great and they have a cute zoo. I’d get car service no later than 4 am.

The more I read about SOL, the more I get confused. Our ticket is for 10 am. I had read that was the time we needed to be there for the security line - is that correct? Then from what you shared it could actually be 11 for actual departure? From West 28th Street and Seventh Avenue, what time would we need to catch the subway? 

Thanks for the time for the car service!

1 hour ago, parentsof5 said:

The more I read about SOL, the more I get confused. Our ticket is for 10 am. I had read that was the time we needed to be there for the security line - is that correct? Then from what you shared it could actually be 11 for actual departure?

Yes. This is what Hornblower, the ferry operator, says about it: "When choosing your time, this is your entry into the Security Facility not the entry time into the Crown of the Statue of Liberty National Monument. The wait time can be several hours, particularly during peak season including summer, weekends, and holidays." There are three ferry vessels operating between Battery Park and Liberty Island. The ferry schedule itself is that vessels depart from Battery Park at 9:00 a.m., then every 25 minutes thereafter. It takes about 15 minutes to get to Liberty Island. Vessels return from Liberty Island starting at 9:25 a.m., then every 25 minutes thereafter. The return trip takes longer, 30 minutes, because returning vessels make an intermediate stop at Ellis Island. You're welcome to alight from the ferry at Ellis Island, and visit that island, too, at no extra charge, before returning to Battery Park.

1 hour ago, parentsof5 said:

From West 28th Street and Seventh Avenue, what time would we need to catch the subway?

It takes about 2 minutes to walk from your hotel to the subway station at West 28th Street and Seventh Avenue, and add one more minute to walk down the stairs, through the turnstiles, and onto the platform. (Be careful: There are separate entrances for uptown and downtown train . . . be certain to enter on the downtown side, which the same side of Seventh Avenue as the Fashion Institute of Technology is location.) At that time of morning during which you will be traveling, the "1" train will be transitioning from every 3 minutes to every 5 minutes. The travel time on the train, from West 28th Street to South Ferry, is 16 minutes. Allow two minutes to exit the South Ferry station; it is then about 6 minutes to walk from the South Ferry station through Battery Park to the ferry security facility. In total, it should take about 32 minutes from the front door of your hotel to the ferry security facility. You may want to plan on departing your hotel at 9:20 a.m., which would give you a few extra minutes prior to a 10:00 a.m. arrival.

On 6/18/2023 at 6:47 PM, GTJ said:

Yes. This is what Hornblower, the ferry operator, says about it: "When choosing your time, this is your entry into the Security Facility not the entry time into the Crown of the Statue of Liberty National Monument. The wait time can be several hours, particularly during peak season including summer, weekends, and holidays." There are three ferry vessels operating between Battery Park and Liberty Island. The ferry schedule itself is that vessels depart from Battery Park at 9:00 a.m., then every 25 minutes thereafter. It takes about 15 minutes to get to Liberty Island. Vessels return from Liberty Island starting at 9:25 a.m., then every 25 minutes thereafter. The return trip takes longer, 30 minutes, because returning vessels make an intermediate stop at Ellis Island. You're welcome to alight from the ferry at Ellis Island, and visit that island, too, at no extra charge, before returning to Battery Park.

It takes about 2 minutes to walk from your hotel to the subway station at West 28th Street and Seventh Avenue, and add one more minute to walk down the stairs, through the turnstiles, and onto the platform. (Be careful: There are separate entrances for uptown and downtown train . . . be certain to enter on the downtown side, which the same side of Seventh Avenue as the Fashion Institute of Technology is location.) At that time of morning during which you will be traveling, the "1" train will be transitioning from every 3 minutes to every 5 minutes. The travel time on the train, from West 28th Street to South Ferry, is 16 minutes. Allow two minutes to exit the South Ferry station; it is then about 6 minutes to walk from the South Ferry station through Battery Park to the ferry security facility. In total, it should take about 32 minutes from the front door of your hotel to the ferry security facility. You may want to plan on departing your hotel at 9:20 a.m., which would give you a few extra minutes prior to a 10:00 a.m. arrival.

Thank you so much!!