Pier options

LadyMac72

4 hours ago, LadyMac72 said:

Are there rickshaw/trikes to help older folks navigate the pier in Costa Maya (like there is in Cozumel). Travelling with my 80 year mother and it's going to be a long walk for her. 

i think there may be a trolly.  We've never been to this port but we could use a trolley also.  

There is a trolley but it is very hit snd miss these days whether it is running.

It is a very long pier and very exposed to the elements. We took a transport wheelchair (lightweight and collapsible) with us when we took an elderly relative. You can sometimes get wheelchair assistance (not sure if it is arranged through the port authority or individual ships and I don’t know how long you would be waiting for it.

On 6/18/2023 at 9:21 PM, c-leg5 said:

There is a trolley but it is very hit snd miss these days whether it is running.

It is a very long pier and very exposed to the elements. We took a transport wheelchair (lightweight and collapsible) with us when we took an elderly relative. You can sometimes get wheelchair assistance (not sure if it is arranged through the port authority or individual ships and I don’t know how long you would be waiting for it.

Thanks

On 6/18/2023 at 8:21 PM, c-leg5 said:

There is a trolley but it is very hit and miss these days whether it is running.

We have been there twice this year and didn't see any transportation on the pier.

We were there last December with 4 ships in port and zero transportation.

Rode a trolley years ago, but sounds like it only runs a few days a year anymore.

Incredibly long pier with no cover from sun or weather.

If you could do like C-leg suggested, that would definitely be the way to go.

Early June, single ship - had one trolley working...just the straight section - still had to walk down the side pier to the aft gangway of the ship.

But as all-aboard drew near, the trolley line was packed, as expected.  It is a slow process.  They should switch those guys out for Cozumel Taxi drivers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dna1990 said:

Early June, single ship - had one trolley working...just the straight section - still had to walk down the side pier to the aft gangway of the ship.

But as all-aboard drew near, the trolley line was packed, as expected.  It is a slow process.  They should switch those guys out for Cozumel Taxi drivers.

The trolley has only ever gone along the main pier but it is a problem for sure. The pier is not wide enough to accommodate the number of passengers from the increased size and number of ships to safely operate the trolley.

Edited by c-leg5

• 2 months later...

They did not have the trolley running in April when we were there but I had an accident (broken leg) several years ago and had difficulty walking after that and all we had to do was ask for a wheelchair and the cruise staff wheeled me down the pier before. I would ask the cruise line about it if there's no trolleys.