Question For Experienced Regent Alaska Cruisers

Robroy

My wife and I are looking at the Explorer from Seward to Vancouver next May and want to take advantage of the current sale ending June 30th. We normally make our own air arrangements and are flying from Toronto which means a plane change in Vancouver and on to Anchorage. This would be a long day but we would also plan to arrive in Anchorage a day earlier and perhaps take the train to Seward the day we sail. Factoring in the air allowance, the airfare cost would just about be a wash.

We plan to book an F2 cabin so no concierge with a pre-cruise overnight included. I'm wondering if we took Regent Air would it be even possible to make the Vancouver connection and then two hour transfer from Anchorage to Seward? Leaning heavily toward just doing our own air but would be interested in anyone's experience flying in from the East Coast in particular.

Thanks!

Rob

If it were me, I would travel to arrive in Anchorage a day early. If no missed flights or bad weather, you have extra time in Anchorage. 
The train to Seward is great. 
One picture I regret not taking-on way from airport to Anchorage we went by a lake which was a “ parking lot” for small planes parked at their sheds. 
One more thing, I have issues with motion sickness.  I wish I would have thought to get a seat facing forward on the train. 
Have a great trip. 

Thanks very much MJ! I think the usual day before makes a lot of sense and it would be nice to have even a short look at Anchorage. The train ride supposedly is a lovely tour on it's own.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Cheers,

Rob

My wife, daughter, and grand daughter are now in Alaska on a “girl’s trip”. They too made their own air and ground arraignments. They flew from Denver to Anchorage yesterday, booked a hotel, and took the train to Seward today. In fact, I think they are on it as I write this. Their emails to me say they like the train much better than the bus Regent provides, which we have taken before. They have a hotel in Seward for tonight and board the Explorer tomorrow. We just cannot rely on commercial air to to get us to the ship if we try to fly on embarkation day. Do the air the day before, as a minimum. Air was on time for them this time, but that is not always the case. In April, 2023, we booked business from Denver to Boston for an event two days after our scheduled arrival in Boston. Weather caused about a two hour delay. But instead of delaying the flight for two hours, United cancelled it, and couldn’t get us to Boston for the next two days. So we were able to get refund for our fares, and just went home the next day. These things happen, and they shouldn’t.

Look into using Regent for the flight to Alaska, and booking the flight home yourself.

They will give you half the air credit even though the flight to Alaska is longer and more expensive. There are not that many flights into Anchorage anyway, so there's a good chance you will get a decent one without the air deviation. And first class on Air Canada is reasonably priced even on a one-way ticket.

Appreciate the replies. With air travel the way it's been lately, I'm inclined to fly into Anchorage perhaps two days early and take the train into Seward the day we sail. Hadn't thought about taking Regent air one way - will perhaps look into that and deviate so we can get there early. Then again, you're at the mercy of whatever flights they come up with although Air Canada YYZ-YVR makes the most sense.

Thanks!

Rob

• Like 1

I’m from Australia, so I can’t comment on the Regent flights, however I have done the Alaskan cruise twice. I highly recommend arriving the day or 2 prior to Anchorage, then taking the amazing train to Seward. There is a hotel in Seward right near the docks. They also run a fantastic tour by boat, where we saw whales, otters, a glacier etc. and the scenery was stunning. There is also a Sea Life Centre, which you can easily spend a few hours. We were so glad we did this first. 

• Like 2

How about staying in Seward for a couple of nights instead of Anchorage.? We have booked a great little place. Seward is meant to be one of the best towns in America. There is plenty to do. Easy/hard walks, boat trips, kayaking, gold panning etc. 

Easy free shuttle all day to dock. 

Seward for a couple of nights might be an option. We will definately need an overnight in Anchorage to be able to catch the train down to Seward and had thought of at least one night in Seward as it looks like a really nice town with lots to do and friendly people. Still investigating at this point - thanks for the tip!

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

If you can go to Seward and have a full day there, taking a Kenai Fjords Tours boat trip (6) into Kenai Fjords National Park, to the foot Holgage and Aialik glaciers, is a great experience. Yes, you're about to board a cruise ship for a week at sea! But it's different in a smaller boat going up close to the base of glaciers, and you'll likely get to see sea lions and other marine wildlife. Even if you stay overnight in Seward just one night, you can take an 8 am boat tour, get back around 2 pm, pick up your luggage at the hotel, and board the ship.

• Like 2

Thanks for another interesting tip. You're right - you can't expect the same experience on a small ship compared with something the size of the Explorer. Another thing to check out!

Thanks,

Rob