Royal Caribbean transfer from Ravenna to train station schedule-on time?

elaine5

Hi. has anyone done the Royal Caribbean transfer from Ravenna to train station schedule? Would a shuttle listed as 9:15 get me there in PLENTY of time to catch a 9:45 train? meaning time to find out where I'm going, get lost in station for 10 minutes, etc.? Anyone have a recent schedule? Would the 9:15 be when to meet or when it is actually departing?Thanks, Elaine

Edited by elaine5

3 hours ago, elaine5 said:

Hi. has anyone done the Royal Caribbean transfer from Ravenna to train station schedule? Would a shuttle listed as 9:15 get me there in PLENTY of time to catch a 9:45 train? meaning time to find out where I'm going, get lost in station for 10 minutes, etc.? Anyone have a recent schedule? Would the 9:15 be when to meet or when it is actually departing?Thanks, Elaine

Based on what I saw last month in Ravenna at the port, I would not plan it quite so close.  There is quite a bit of waiting for the buses to show up.  Waiting for them to fill up. I didn’t get the sense that a schedule was in effect at all.  It’s more of a continuous service that runs a loop with a few buses.  You wait in line for the next bus.  If you get a seat on that one, you go when it’s full.  If you don’t get on that one, you wait for the next one.  

It's a little unclear to me whether you're referring to the ongoing shuttle to/from Ravenna or to a scheduled transfer from Celebrity (e.g., like a tour, where you'd have to meet up first on the ship).

If it is the first, I completely agree with the above poster that the timings are sort of a "suggestion" and that buses may not leave precisely on the dot. Often they wait until full or until another bus returns.

I know the travel time isn't 30 minutes, but I still wouldn't count on a 9:15 bus getting me to the train station in "plenty of time" for a 9:45 train.

• Like 1

Hi,

I did the opposite at the end of May, Got the train to Ravenna and then got the No.90 bus to the town near the port. I can tell you this, the bus left at 1035 and got me to the port town at 1058. I believe the bus timetable for going the other way is not very good. Although there are many stops listed, my bus did not stop until we got to the port town and moved quite fast, so based on that I can not see how you would make your train using any type of bus as you would also need to find which platform it is going from too which adds a few more minutes, then they sometimes change it at the last minute and only announce it in Italian.

Another thing to remember is that some of the roads in Ravenna are one-way, so your bus may have to go further to get to the station than if you were going from it.

I have to say that so far, this has been absolutely the worst port I have sailed from (in order to get to). It is just a shame that there isn't anywhere else closer to Venice that is more accessible. Shame somewhere like  Trieste couldn't be used instead.

I was lucky the other month, Ravenna FS had only re-opened on the day of my cruise and the train was late and got later but I managed to catch my bus with just a few minutes to spare, but this is not the way I want to start or finish my holiday as it adds stress and spoils what should be a great time!

Mick.

Edited by Mick B

Yes, the distance from Venice to Trieste is about the same as Ravenna, however, it is just a single train journey between Venice and Trieste and although it takes roughly 2 hours it only costs on average £14 pp (and some of the trains even have first class for just £19 pp) meaning you can get a train at say 10am from Venice and be at the port at around 12 noon.

Going from Ravenna means a train from Venice to Bologna very early and then another train to Ravenna which takes about an hour and then a bus or taxi to the ship (which takes about 30 minutes) which in all means this journey takes much longer than the single journey to Trieste and you would be lucky to get to the ship for late lunch! And if one train is late, then you may find having to pay for expensive taxi's to get to the ship in time. I know what it is like as I just did all this a few weeks back and I can tell you that the stress of it was something not needed when going on holiday!

I did hear some time back that there was a plan to build a new cruise terminal on the mainland close to Venice, but I think that it would use the same body of water as the lagoon and therefore may cause environmental issues. If anyone else knows anything more about this then please let us know. The sooner we can sail from somewhere closer to Venice as possible the better. 

Mick.

Edited by Mick B
  • Like 1

I did the trip to Ravenna last October and didn't find it that stressful, but then I took the ship transportation (for a solo the price was right and it was an easy option). And of course I wasn't dealing with the floods!

From Ravenna there is also an option of flying into Bologna rather than Venice, which is much closer (and no train transfer).

Regarding a new port, my current understanding is that there is a desire to keep cruise ships out of the lagoon due to its fragile ecosystem. (Notwithstanding it is also used by commercial traffic). So I doubt there will be any option on the table to build a new port close to Venice. It is what it is...

I would not cut it that close at all.  They fill (or darn near fill) the buses.  I took Royal's to Venice City Center.  They were around 15-20 minutes behind calling numbers ( I was on the later bus, 9:45 I think) and it was close to 10 or so, maybe a little later, when we left. 

The process was easy and efficient if not exactly timely.

On 6/20/2023 at 9:12 PM, elaine5 said:

Assuming the question is re: going from the port (Porto Corsini) to Ravenna train station:

FWIW, we just got off the "Celebrity shuttle" this morning which is obviously run by a contractor.  I'm assuming it would be similar for RCL(??).  We booked the last 9:30am shuttle and it left at 9:30am on time.  They called our tag number around 9:10am. Need to find luggage.  There's a risk you get stopped by Italian customs who were roaming included a sniffer dog and a check point but I'm guessing it's unlikely.  We walked right through. 

There's obviously a risk that the bus needs to wait for stragglers.  Our bus only took just over 10mins to go from the port to Ravenna station (whereas it took closer to 15min the other way).  Note, our shuttle dropped us off in a parking lot on the back side of Ravenna train station so there's a short 2min walk to the stairs/elevator that leads you to the platforms.  Had to wait for our luggage to be pulled from the belly of the coach bus as there were a number of cruisers taking this transfer.  There was a bit of a line for the elevator which only can handle 2-3 people at a time with luggage.  There aren't many stairs though; two flights.  

It's a small station so unlikely to get significantly lost/disorientated.  If you need to buy train tickets, the machines are to the left around the corner of the ticket window.  No line for the machines, they had an English option, and they took cash and card.  Slight line for the ticket windows.  We held off buying our tix to Bologna until at Ravenna since the route is an hourly (at x:45 intervals) commuter train so little risk of not getting on.  We didn't risk for the 9:45am train but just waited a bit for 10:45am train in the cafe/McDonalds seating in the train station.  Needed to remember to validate our tix.  Platform for our train was was relatively easily identifiable from the screens.  The train left on time at 10:45am.

I think a 9:15am shuttle for a 9:45am train in Ravenna is possible but I wouldn't consider it plenty of time.  Hope the description of my transfer gives you ideas where the potential choke points are if that's the direction you are going.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Milhouse said:

Assuming the question is re: going from the port (Porto Corsini) to Ravenna train station:

FWIW, we just got off the "Celebrity shuttle" this morning which is obviously run by a contractor.  I'm assuming it would be similar for RCL(??).  We booked the last 9:30am shuttle and it left at 9:30am on time.  They called our tag number around 9:10am. Need to find luggage.  There's a risk you get stopped by Italian customs who were roaming included a sniffer dog and a check point but I'm guessing it's unlikely.  We walked right through. 

There's obviously a risk that the bus needs to wait for stragglers.  Our bus only took just over 10mins to go from the port to Ravenna station (whereas it took closer to 15min the other way).  Note, our shuttle dropped us off in a parking lot on the back side of Ravenna train station so there's a short 2min walk to the stairs/elevator that leads you to the platforms.  Had to wait for our luggage to be pulled from the belly of the coach bus as there were a number of cruisers taking this transfer.  There was a bit of a line for the elevator which only can handle 2-3 people at a time with luggage.  There aren't many stairs though; two flights.  

It's a small station so unlikely to get significantly lost/disorientated.  If you need to buy train tickets, the machines are to the left around the corner of the ticket window.  No line for the machines, they had an English option, and they took cash and card.  Slight line for the ticket windows.  We held off buying our tix to Bologna until at Ravenna since the route is an hourly (at x:45 intervals) commuter train so little risk of not getting on.  We didn't risk for the 9:45am train but just waited a bit for 10:45am train in the cafe/McDonalds seating in the train station.  Needed to remember to validate our tix.  Platform for our train was was relatively easily identifiable from the screens.  The train left on time at 10:45am.

I think a 9:15am shuttle for a 9:45am train in Ravenna is possible but I wouldn't consider it plenty of time.  Hope the description of my transfer gives you ideas where the potential choke points are if that's the direction you are going.

Great rundown, exacly the reason I’ve been hounding cruise critic and social media sailing groups to confirm or deny the existence of a port to Bologna train station shuttle. RCL says there is but can only be booked on the ship. I’ve yet to see it mentioned on any of the threads I’ve scoured so I am doubtful of its existence. My daughter is in a wheelchair and would be very helpful to just take the shuttle to Bologna, but all people wanna talk about is hiding/ finding ducks 😣😣

• Like 1

Are there any taxis available at all? We need to get to Europcar office which is in outskirts of town. I was planning on taking No90 bus (and then switching to another in. the center of town) but it sounds like its not very reliable?

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 5:56 AM, Longstockingpippi1 said:

Great rundown, exacly the reason I’ve been hounding cruise critic and social media sailing groups to confirm or deny the existence of a port to Bologna train station shuttle. RCL says there is but can only be booked on the ship. I’ve yet to see it mentioned on any of the threads I’ve scoured so I am doubtful of its existence. My daughter is in a wheelchair and would be very helpful to just take the shuttle to Bologna, but all people wanna talk about is hiding/ finding ducks 😣😣

Hi Longstockingpippi1 - I have booked the ship transfer from Ravenna to Bologna airport through my travel agent for our September Royal cruise.  You can call to book it, so I would guess you could call to book to Bologna train station shuttle as well.  Not available on the website, but should be available if you call.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 12:04 PM, purplethorn said:

Are there any taxis available at all? We need to get to Europcar office which is in outskirts of town. I was planning on taking No90 bus (and then switching to another in. the center of town) but it sounds like its not very reliable?

I forget if I replied to this on another thread (because I have a bad habit of drafting a reply and forgeting to submit so apologies if I'm repeating myself) but while I didn't see any taxis when I poked my head out the balcony a few times on departure day, the cruise director did say there were limited taxis available (and therefore book a transfer with the ship... 🤔).  

On 6/21/2023 at 4:43 AM, Mick B said:

Hi,

I did the opposite at the end of May, Got the train to Ravenna and then got the No.90 bus to the town near the port. I can tell you this, the bus left at 1035 and got me to the port town at 1058. I believe the bus timetable for going the other way is not very good. Although there are many stops listed, my bus did not stop until we got to the port town and moved quite fast, so based on that I can not see how you would make your train using any type of bus as you would also need to find which platform it is going from too which adds a few more minutes, then they sometimes change it at the last minute and only announce it in Italian.

Another thing to remember is that some of the roads in Ravenna are one-way, so your bus may have to go further to get to the station than if you were going from it.

I have to say that so far, this has been absolutely the worst port I have sailed from (in order to get to). It is just a shame that there isn't anywhere else closer to Venice that is more accessible. Shame somewhere like  Trieste couldn't be used instead.

I was lucky the other month, Ravenna FS had only re-opened on the day of my cruise and the train was late and got later but I managed to catch my bus with just a few minutes to spare, but this is not the way I want to start or finish my holiday as it adds stress and spoils what should be a great time!

Mick.

Hi, Thank you for sharing your experience. Do you have a link/schedule for bus R90 from Ravenna Fs to Porto Corsini?  The startromagna.it website timetables and routes is confusing and not helpful.  Googlemaps only has the busR90 leaving Ravenna Fs at 7:22am??  How often does bus R90 run to Porto Corsini? Does the bus R90 leave everyday (specifically Sundays) at 10:35am from Ravenna Fs to Porto Corsini?  Can you buy bus tickets on the bus?  TIA

On 6/22/2023 at 5:47 AM, elaine5 said:

Here is May Royal C schedule from other cc post:

image.jpeg.a272d94f55b6913fa0309c834eda8752.jpeg

Hi, Thanks for posting the schedule.  Can you book the transfers from guest services?  Do you know the cost of the transfer to Ravenna Train station and is it approximately 30 min to the train station? TIA

40 minutes ago, TeamCan said:

Hi, Thanks for posting the schedule.  Can you book the transfers from guest services?  Do you know the cost of the transfer to Ravenna Train station and is it approximately 30 min to the train station? TIA

It's $10 USD

Hi, ref bus 90.

Because I could get on my ship at 1130 I only looked at the 1035 bus to get me to the port town for 1100 and then there is to 10-15 walk to the ship.

So the time of your bus will depend on the time you can board.

I believe the timetable for this bus is seasonal.

However, currently I see see the following, although you will need the check.

1035-1057

1150-1212

1330-1352

and

1410-1432

Sadly, after a cruise my wife throws away any paperwork no longer necessary including the printout I had of all the buses as we do not plan to sail out of this port again in the near future. Not in anyway because of the difficulty of the port, because it wasn't that hard, but because it has become cheaper for us UK folk to fly to the USA from the UK and TA it back to Southampton for 15 days on older ships than it is to fly to Europe for 7 day cruises on the newer ones.

Mick.