UK travel insurance with cancer

vix2000

I have tried every existing condition insurer I can find to get a quote for someone with cancer. Most wont give a quote, the one that did was over £11,000 for single trip. The person is well and has had no chemo or radio just a tablet a day.  This is so unfair!  So if anyone can help we'd e very grateful.

47 minutes ago, vix2000 said:

I have tried every existing condition insurer I can find to get a quote for someone with cancer. Most wont give a quote, the one that did was over £11,000 for single trip. The person is well and has had no chemo or radio just a tablet a day.  This is so unfair!  So if anyone can help we'd e very grateful.

Thank you for your new topic on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry concerns UK insurance,

Under normal circumstances your thread would be moved to the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum. However, replies there tend to be about US insurance which would not help you. Therefore, I have moved your thread to the UK Cruisers forum where hopefully you will receive helpful replies.

Host Kat

UK insurance can be a rip off.

I had a partial knee replacement some years ago. I declared on the questionnaire that there were no issues, no meds, no further treatment and in fact it was better than before the op.

They doubled the premium? Essentially for a non existent condition. No explanation offered.

I bank with Nationwide and my account gives free travel insurance for self and wife ... amongst other things.

I declared a heart condition.

I took out the worldwide, including USA, cruise supplement and the age supplement.

My total extras are £106 pa! That and £13pm account fees made it a no-brainer!

I managed to get a very decent priced, single-trip insurance with the cruise add on from All Clear, very soon after recovering from surgery.  Fortunately, pathology confirmed a low grade tumour, with no adjunct therapies required, just regular monitoring.  I have no other medical issues however, so this may have helped.  

It might also depend on where you are going.  Other than the UK, my trip was only visiting one other country (Norway).

I hope you get sorted soon.

Catherine

Since your need is as a UK resident (I'm from the States) and your need is specialized re pre-existing condition, I reached out to ChatGPT.  These are just suggestions made by AI, so I would recommend that you verify the accuracy of the information shared.

Here's the question I asked:

Looking for suggestions for Travel Insurance with medical coverage for a United Kingdom resident with a pre-existing condition of Cancer which is in remission.

Here is the generated response:

When searching for travel insurance with medical coverage for a United Kingdom resident with a pre-existing condition of cancer in remission, you can consider the following options:

1. Insurancewith: Insurancewith specializes in providing travel insurance for individuals with pre-existing medical conditions, including cancer. They offer comprehensive coverage and consider the specifics of your condition, including remission, to tailor the policy accordingly.

2. Free Spirit: Free Spirit is another insurance provider that caters to individuals with pre-existing medical conditions. They offer travel insurance options for cancer survivors in remission, ensuring you have the necessary medical coverage during your trip.

3. AllClear Travel Insurance: AllClear, mentioned earlier, also offers policies for individuals with pre-existing conditions in remission. They provide customized coverage that takes into account your medical history and current health status.

4. Staysure Travel Insurance: Staysure, mentioned earlier, offers travel insurance options for individuals with pre-existing conditions, including cancer in remission. They provide coverage for medical expenses and other travel-related benefits.

Remember to carefully review the policy details, including coverage limits, exclusions, and any additional requirements specific to your condition. Make sure to provide accurate information about your medical history and consult with the insurance provider if you have any doubts or questions. Comparing multiple insurance providers will help you find the most suitable coverage for your needs at the best possible price.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vix2000 said:

The person is well and has had no chemo or radio just a tablet a day.

if the medication is an Estrogen or other hormone blocker, post surgical excision, discuss with doctor if the patient is considered to truly "have cancer".  There are other cancers where daily oral meds are therapeutic and that is a different situation.  Cancer is becoming a disease of management and long term control, like blood pressure etc.  A sad situation and sorry for your dilemma 

• 3 months later...

I had breast cancer 18 months ago which resulted in a lumpectomy.  I had radio therapy just as a back up by need to take an estrogen suppressant pill for 5 years.  I got a year's policy with European cruise extension from Insurancewith.co.uk   the quote was very reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

My better half has recently been accepted with cover for cancer included at no added cost because she has now been clear for 5 years.

Most cancers  including hers, take months & even years after diagnosis before they're a problem and we've never booked more than about 3 months in advance, so the risk of cancellation is extremely low to nil and the risk of a problem after boarding is a very firm nil.

So in the meantime, in order to avoid ridiculously high premiums, she has accepted insurance which excludes cover for cancer.

For the same reason my own insurance also excludes a couple of declared matters which are degenerative but very very very unlikely to become a big problem in the short term.

We insure with Nationwide - worldwide year-round holiday travel insurance, including cruises, is free with a Flex-plus current account but that account has a monthly fee of £13, so effectively world-wide travel insurance (plus car breakdown cover, cover for mobile phones and various other minor  advantages) for £156 per annum. We're not married & don't co-habit but I believe that if we were, the FlexPlus account for one covers both.

In addition to the monthly fee we now pay an extra £65 a year because of our advancing years, but £221 p.a. is pretty reasonable for old codgers.

A standard current account (no fee) with Nationwide includes some travel insurance - I think limited to Europe.

JB  🙂 

I appreciate the OP's difficulty. As we've got older, our list of pre-existing conditions just gets longer. It includes prostate cancer which has returned after radiotherapy treatment and is now just being monitored without further treatment. We had a period when we couldnt get insurance at all, due to an undiagnosed condition but, once a diagnosis was reached, All-Clear offered cover. It's an annual policy, for European travel including cruises. Annual cost is just short of £1400. We've just extended the cover to include for the six days we'll be in America and the Caribbean as part of a transatlantic cruise. That has added another £1300 onto the policy (for the six months remaining on it).