Pearl Martini Bar cocktails?

frayedend

I looked for a menu online for the martini bar on the Pearl but haven't found one.  If anyone has one to post I'd appreciate it.  But mostly I'd like to know if they know how to make classic cocktails.  I'm not into martinis, but these days anything served in a martini glass or coup seems to be called a martini.

So what I'm asking is basically, if I ask for a daiquiri will they know that it's not a frozen strawberry drink.  Or will they know what's in a gimlet (I'll specify the gin or vodka).  How about a whiskey sour?  I pray they will use lemon juice and not sour mix.  I could take or leave the egg whites.  

During Covid all I had to do was drink and learn cocktails so I became a bit of a cocktail snob.

50 minutes ago, frayedend said:

I looked for a menu online for the martini bar on the Pearl but haven't found one.  If anyone has one to post I'd appreciate it.  But mostly I'd like to know if they know how to make classic cocktails.  I'm not into martinis, but these days anything served in a martini glass or coup seems to be called a martini.

So what I'm asking is basically, if I ask for a daiquiri will they know that it's not a frozen strawberry drink.  Or will they know what's in a gimlet (I'll specify the gin or vodka).  How about a whiskey sour?  I pray they will use lemon juice and not sour mix.  I could take or leave the egg whites.  

During Covid all I had to do was drink and learn cocktails so I became a bit of a cocktail snob.

Suggest you take a recipe book of several of your favorites.

for example a whisky sour is whiskey, simple syrup, and lemon juise.  Even if they want to use sour mix, you can show them the recipe of how you want it made.  

BTW, I've just found a recipe for a French Manhattan: cognac, sweet vermouth, orange liquor, and bitters.  

Sure, they can make pretty much anything you would like as long as they have the ingredients for it. Also, you might want to call out the spirit you would like. For example, Bombay Sapphire and tonic vs gin and tonic, or Bulleit and club soda vs Bourbon and soda. You might say Classic daiquiri instead of just daiquiri. If they mess it up, kindly ask them to make what you want.

On 6/21/2023 at 1:08 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Suggest you take a recipe book of several of your favorites.

for example a whisky sour is whiskey, simple syrup, and lemon juise.  Even if they want to use sour mix, you can show them the recipe of how you want it made.  

BTW, I've just found a recipe for a French Manhattan: cognac, sweet vermouth, orange liquor, and bitters.  

I don't need a book.  I can tell them the recipe.  Most of what I want is simple.  Rum, syrup, lime, or whiskey, syrup, lemon, or gin, syrup, lemon, mint leaves.

I am not a fan of vermouth for some reason.  I've never liked any drink with it, so I don't generally get Manhattans.  But an Old Fashioned, with the cognac, orange and bitters sounds good.

I make a riff on the old fashioned at home with Barbancourt 15 year rum, 1/4 oz maple syrup, and 4 dashes of black walnut bitters.  It's a tad on the sweet side and because of that goes down way too smooth.  A couple of real Luxardo Maraschino cherries and I'm in heaven (until the next morning).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, frayedend said:

I don't need a book.  I can tell them the recipe.  Most of what I want is simple.  Rum, syrup, lime, or whiskey, syrup, lemon, or gin, syrup, lemon, mint leaves.

I am not a fan of vermouth for some reason.  I've never liked any drink with it, so I don't generally get Manhattans.  But an Old Fashioned, with the cognac, orange and bitters sounds good.

I make a riff on the old fashioned at home with Barbancourt 15 year rum, 1/4 oz maple syrup, and 4 dashes of black walnut bitters.  It's a tad on the sweet side and because of that goes down way too smooth.  A couple of real Luxardo Maraschino cherries and I'm in heaven (until the next morning).

I find that an Old Fashioned is too sweet for my  taste.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Funny you mention that.  Last night I made a couple old fashioneds without the sugar.  I'm trying to keep on the keto diet.  I even had a mojito without the sugar and it was fine.  The orange liquer in your French Manhattan recipe would be sweet enough for an old fashioned without adding any sugar.  

On 6/21/2023 at 12:15 PM, frayedend said:

HI,     I have always found them to be accommodating when I ask for. my drink to made in a particular way.   Particularly if you get to know the bartender and tip well..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Have you had an old fashioned with Rye instead of bourbon? The rye isn't as sweet and pairs better to me.

Just tip the bartender and he or she will make anything you want, any way you want it made!  They are very accommodating.  Word of advice: if you want something other than a martini, don't go to the martini bar!  

Elvis

7 hours ago, Elvis1209 said:

Just tip the bartender and he or she will make anything you want, any way you want it made!  They are very accommodating.  Word of advice: if you want something other than a martini, don't go to the martini bar!  

Elvis

So unless it's vodka or gin and vermouth only, well it's not a martini.  Strawberry martini, Appletini, Expressso martini, they are cocktails not martinis.  Reason I mention martini bar is that most times that's where the classic cocktails are served.  Things like gimlets, old fashioned, sidecar, etc.  

As a matter of fact, I just found the cocktail menu for the Epic "Martini Bar" and not one of the drinks in this particular menu is a martini.

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 7.37.28 AM.png

Edited by frayedend

I have in the past found some bars don’t have ingredients to make whatever I want.  For example, the Martini Bar certainly has ingredients for a wealth of martinis.  But, if you’re looking for brown liquor drinks, might want to look at Maltings?  

Mojito Bar, same way.  They make some mean mojitos, not sure they’d have the ingredients to make a B52.

In short I would probably look elsewhere outside of the Martini bar, if you’re not interested in a Martini!  Just a general rule of thumb.

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I have in the past found some bars don’t have ingredients to make whatever I want.  For example, the Martini Bar certainly has ingredients for a wealth of martinis.  But, if you’re looking for brown liquor drinks, might want to look at Maltings?  

Mojito Bar, same way.  They make some mean mojitos, not sure they’d have the ingredients to make a B52.

In short I would probably look elsewhere outside of the Martini bar, if you’re not interested in a Martini!  Just a general rule of thumb.

Again, the drinks at the martini bars aren't Martinis.  The Aviation isn't a Martini.  A Martini is gin or vodka, and vermouth.  However, in recent years, classic cocktails have been served in martini glasses and called martinis.  What I'm generally looking for is a classic cocktail.  A gimlet with gin would be perfect.  Swap the lime for lemon, add some mint and it's a South Side.  Rum, lime and syrup and you have a daiquiri.  Add some mint, put it in a highball glass and add soda and you have a mojito.  Based on the menu I posted, the martini bar has the ingredients to make all of these, unless they have no mint.  But they have basil and you'd be amazed at what a great sub it makes for mint in a cocktail.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chillyw said:

Speaking of the martini bar, I just had an aviation for the first time and thought it was really good.

What's the best gin on NCL to make it with? Hendricks?

I like Hendricks but find it on the sweet side.  I actually prefer Beefeater over some more expensive options.  It's a good all around gin for most cocktails.  But for the Aviation I bet Hendricks is good.  I'm not a fan of that cocktail.  The maraschino and creme de violette are a bit too floral for my tastes.

Edited by frayedend

2 hours ago, frayedend said:

Again, the drinks at the martini bars aren't Martinis.  The Aviation isn't a Martini.  A Martini is gin or vodka, and vermouth.  However, in recent years, classic cocktails have been served in martini glasses and called martinis.  What I'm generally looking for is a classic cocktail.  A gimlet with gin would be perfect.  Swap the lime for lemon, add some mint and it's a South Side.  Rum, lime and syrup and you have a daiquiri.  Add some mint, put it in a highball glass and add soda and you have a mojito.  Based on the menu I posted, the martini bar has the ingredients to make all of these, unless they have no mint.  But they have basil and you'd be amazed at what a great sub it makes for mint in a cocktail.

Given what you’re looking for, I’d park my derrière at the Atrium Bar!

In my opinion,  and this i just my opinion, there is only one drink that should be called a martini!  The only variation should be whether you want gin or vodka!  Anything else should go by a different name!

Elvis

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Elvis1209 said:

In my opinion,  and this i just my opinion, there is only one drink that should be called a martini!  The only variation should be whether you want gin or vodka!  Anything else should go by a different name!

Elvis

Exactly right and the point I was trying to make.  The reason I asked about the Martini bar, is that in my experience on most vacations, a "martini bar" will have a bartender capable of making many classic cocktails.  I expect the Atrium bar to be good for a rum and coke, but if I want a South Side, the "Martini Bar" is usually where I'd find it.

Just now, Greener123 said:

I too am more of a fan of the classic cocktails and took up cocktail snobbery since covid 🤣

I hope the breakaway can make a better Daiquiri than on MSC Virtuosa - it was bloody awful 

Too often I find bars using sour mix.  I don't mind bottled lemon or lime juice in cocktails.  But sour mix or that horrible Rose's sweetened lime ruins every drink it touches.

• 2 months later...

From what I remember, the menu only had martinis and specialty cocktails, not standard cocktails, but you can ask for anything.  Sometime during the week, I had tequila sunrise, Aperol Spritz, dark & stormy, black russian, seabreeze, ... Free at Sea was fun 🙂  That said, other than martini's most drinks were on the light side.

On 9/13/2023 at 1:40 PM, jayseadee said:

From what I remember, the menu only had martinis and specialty cocktails, not standard cocktails, but you can ask for anything.  Sometime during the week, I had tequila sunrise, Aperol Spritz, dark & stormy, black russian, seabreeze, ... Free at Sea was fun 🙂  That said, other than martini's most drinks were on the light side.

Since you may order two drinks per card each time (while not always the solution), you could ask for your drink and a shot of (your choice) to "strengthen" your drink.

2 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

Since you may order two drinks per card each time (while not always the solution), you could ask for your drink and a shot of (your choice) to "strengthen" your drink.

Oh, I was fine with the weaker drinks 🙂 

• Like 1