Best way to get to airport car rental in each HI port?

MildredK

In July we will be on a Princess cruise rt LA to Hawaii.  We’ve been to HI many times but never on a cruise so in each port we are just renting a car.   I think all car rentals are at the airports.

Two questions:

1.  It feels like a hassle to go to the airport on each island to pick up the car.  Is there a better way we’re missing?

2.  Will there be taxis when we disembark or should be reserve one ahead of time to take us to the car rental?  Or is there a better way to get to the car rental agency?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, MildredK said:

In July we will be on a Princess cruise rt LA to Hawaii.  We’ve been to HI many times but never on a cruise so in each port we are just renting a car.   I think all car rentals are at the airports.

Two questions:

1.  It feels like a hassle to go to the airport on each island to pick up the car.  Is there a better way we’re missing?

2.  Will there be taxis when we disembark or should be reserve one ahead of time to take us to the car rental?  Or is there a better way to get to the car rental agency?

Thanks!

We are renting Enterprise in Hilo, Honolulu, and Kauai.  I am getting conflicting information.  The web site says they will pick up in Hilo but when I called, the person answering said they can't pick up at the cruise port.  When I called Kauai, the phone tree hell eventually connected me to a live person - at Payless!  I haven't called Honolulu yet.

We are looking at taking a Lyft to and from Enterprise unless we learn they do have a shuttle.  I'm going to call again nearer our January cruise.

Thank you CruiserBruce,  I read that first (smile).  When I follow through on the suggestions, the ones I have looked at so far  don’t work for us.  For example, the car rental agency closest to the dock in Honolulu will close at 3:30 the day we are there we will want the car later.    

18 hours ago, MildredK said:

I think all car rentals are at the airports.

They're not. There are many additional satellites of the major rental companies outside the airports often in more convenient locations. For example if your ship anchors off Lahaina in Maui, which Princess often does, there is no need to go all the way to Kahului Airport to get a car-- there are locations close to Lahaina on that side of the island. 

12 hours ago, MildredK said:

For example, the car rental agency closest to the dock in Honolulu will close at 3:30 the day we are there we will want the car later.  

Usually in this situation most rental agencies have a drop box so you can drop the car off after hours. Worth looking into as it will be on a case by case basis. 

Thank you Princeton123211. I do see other locations besides the airport but all seem to close early as in Honolulu.  Online doesn’t appear to allow key drop off but I can certainly call and check.    We’d really prefer not to go to airport every port day!  

I appreciate your help 

Right now we have cars reserved (at the airports) but it sure seems like it has the potential to be a hassle (smile).   We’ve been to HI many, many times but never on a cruise so this is quite different planning.  This time we will be with elderly people so need to just have transportation for the day and play it by ear.  

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Sweetrosie said:

We cruise sept 30 and also are renting a car at each port.  We r hoping to team up with another couple to share taxi to the airports (at our meet and greet).  

Such arrangements are made on your Roll Call, per Cruise Critic rules.

• Thanks 1