First Princess cruise in 12 years (Alaska). What has changed?

lucywestie

Last time we cruised with Princess was on the Sapphire on a 2 week back to back Alaska and west coast. We are on the voyage of the Glaciers in September and I am now playing catch up with how things have changed. We are doing an inside cabin and basic package so no drink package etc.. So....

1. Lifeboat drill? Do we still go to our station or is it done differently

2. The medallion? I was used to a swipe card but I have read about this medallion thing.

3. Assume tipping etc. is still automatically added each day to the cabin.

4. On our last Alaskan cruise they did what I would call a lot of alcoholic "creamy drinks"  like a Dirty Banana. Do they still do those for the Alaska cruises.

We are experienced cruisers in that was have done other cruise lines since Princess but even the last cruise was 6 years ago and things never stand still!

Just looking for some info. Cheers

1 hour ago, lucywestie said:

Do we still go to our station or is it done differently

Watch the safety video on your stateroom TV or on your smartphone via the Princess app. Then scan the Medallion at your muster station. Done.

The medallion? I was used to a swipe card but I have read about this medallion thing.

Functions the same as the cruise card but with more functionality (like unlocking the door as you physically approach it). If you're not going to use a smartphone, just treat the medallion like the card. If you will use a smartphone, download the Princess app and familiarize yourself with all its features.

Assume tipping etc. is still automatically added each day to the cabin.

Yes.

On our last Alaskan cruise they did what I would call a lot of alcoholic "creamy drinks"  like a Dirty Banana. Do they still do those for the Alaska cruises.

I believe you can get a drink like that on any cruise...? Either way, the bartenders should be able to help you out.

• Like 1

Medallion may or may not open your cabin door when you approach.  I had to touch mine to the door panel.

In theory you can order items onboard with the medallion app and they can find you to deliver them (drinks or food).  Generally didn't work for me.  At bars they will often ask for cabin number since many medallions are close to them and they can't tell which one you are.

You will use the medallion instead of a card to get on and off the ship.  We carry ours on lanyards.

The biggest change you will notice is no more fixed dining.  It is all Dining My Way and you can make reservations either through the app or on the web-based page:

The Dirty Banana is still available and still great!!  However, especially in Alaska, they are using paper straws. The ice is not exactly fine crushed, so it can block the straw, and eventually, the straw 'goes flat'. 

However, the ice sticking in the straw keeps you from drinking too fast (so no cold rush headache).  Also, it slows you down so that you dont drink too many, too fast!

There are some other frozen concoctions that are just as good. If you remember their names, they will have them!

Other items may include safety lights that come on when motion is detected.  Some are annoyed, but 'better safe than sorry!'. 

Skagway may be a water shuttle port after the rock slides.

I enjoyed the 2 week (up and back) cruise.  The 26 Glacier excursion in Whittier is well worth the cost and gives some fun things to do on that turn around day.

If you pay for the extra plus package, (whatever it is called) They will have reserved seats for the production shows (not the others, though).  They are not the 'best seats in the house' but they are available, but you will need to be quick as there are now lurkers that come late and pounce on them when they become available. 

You can use your medalian for some land purchases now, but they are likely the shops that princess has an ownership in. 

Enrichment shows are taped and if you miss one, you can see it in your room later. 

1 hour ago, sirclean said:

Enrichment shows are taped and if you miss one, you can see it in your room later. 

Clarification:  (I'm sure this is what you meant but what you said could *possibly* be misinterpreted.)

The enrichment programs are live in the theater...but are taped so you can catch it in your cabin should there be one you really wanted to see.